Is the head above the waterline on a Hunter 460?

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Hey guys. We recently purchased a 2001 Hunter 460. The previous owners installed new Jabsco electric toilets and Y valves: direct out or to the black water tank. There is a vented loop on the waste line between the toilet and the y valve in the v-birth head. But there is not a vented loop for the intake raw water for the head.

The boats on the hard tight now so I can't see where the water line lies in the sink drains like I normally would.

Does anyone know if the toilets are above the water line?
Do I need to install a vented loop on the intake raw water line?
Can I remove the vented loop for the waste line ?

Interestingly I don't think there is a vented loop for the waste on the starboard main head.

Any insight is welcome!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you can tell me the model number of your toilets I can answer your questions and send you a link to the owners manual...plumbing instructions are in it.
--Peggie

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
If you can tell me the model number of your toilets I can answer your questions and send you a link to the owners manual...plumbing instructions are in it.
--Peggie
Hi Peggie, thanks for the reply. I've actually purchased and read your book just this week.

I do have a manual for the toilet. And understand that if the toilet is below the waterline, I need vented loops and such. But what I don't know is where the waterline is inside my new boat.

" if the rim of the toilet is less than 8" (20cm) above the waterline when the craft is at rest, or if there is ANY possibility that the rim of the bowl may be below the waterline at ANY time, a ventilated anti-syphon loop MUST be fitted in any pipework connected to a through-
hull fitting, irrespective of whether inlet or outlet."

That's my question. Is the rim of the toilet above the water line by 8" I can't tell out of the water where my waterline is.
It sure SEEMs like it's above the water line. But I was hoping someone with a 460 would chime in

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is the rim of the toilet above the water line by 8"
You need a vented loop in the head intake line...It needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL (including MAX heel), not just when the boat is at rest. On most sailboats, that would put it 2-3 FEET above the bowl.

And for an electric toilet it will require a electric solenoid valve wired to the flush button to operate it (this should be spelled out in the owners manual for your toilets). If you need more "hands on" help to install it, Paul Campagna is Jabsco's toilet guru...
Paul.campagna@xyleminc.com
Direct line: 978.282.5246

JABSCO 37038-1012 Solenoid Valve & Siphon Breaker
jabsco 37038-12 solenoid valve.jpg.

(That link will take you to it on the WM site...you can find it elsewhere for a LOT less!)
--Peggie

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Peggie is spot on. Our 1991 boat came with dual electric Jabsco toilets. Both have vented loops connected to the flush button on the sea water intake hose. Even though the toilet rim is above the waterline, without a vented loop or siphon break, sea water will still flow through the system and fill your waste tank regardless of angle of heel or at rest.

I also learned to make it a practice of always keeping the overboard discharge macerator through hull valve closed when not in use. Also make it a practice of keeping the sea water intake through hull valves that supply flush water closed when not in use.