Is a 27 to big to trailer sail?

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I currently have a Catalina 25 WK that lives on a trailer so I can visit several lakes. Initially I kept in a slip for two years but discovered we liked to visit other lakes. We would like a bigger boat but do not want to give up the portability. I have been thinking of a Catalina 27 WK. Is it possible that I could travel with it and step/unstep the mast with a simple A frame system that I use on the 25? I have a 2500 diesel truck so pulling would not be an issue. Would it require a wide load permit? I am a little apprehensive about rigging and launching/retrieving a boat that big. What are your thoughts?

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
I think the legal limit for width on the road is 8'6" (without a wide load permit). What is the beam of a Catalina 27?

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I have seen a few C27's on trailers, it's amazingly large compared to a C25 on a trailer

Nov 24, 2009
Catalina C-30 Lake Ray Hubbard
The way that I see it is that you can trailer the boat it could ba a challenge to launch it and retrieve it. You will need 2 men to get up the mast and that will take you quite a bit of time. a better bet might be to keep the C-25 for a while just for trailering to different lakes. And keep the C27 for nice weekends on the boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You want a bigger boat.

The interior of the C27 is no larger than that of the C25. Really. Check it out before you jump. This is because of the lazarette design of the C27 at the aft end of the cockpit. All you get is a few more inches waterline, maybe a tad in width, and all the headaches that come with it as mentioned by the previous responses.

I don't have an answer, but if I wewrre you I'd look around at other trailerable larger boats before I'd make this C25 to C27 move. We had a C25 in the water for 12 years, bigger venue than a lake, though.

Good luck.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The 27 is not really any different in terms of tasks. It's just bigger. Everybody in Alberta is a glorified "trailer sailor" considering that the water is very hard for way too long every year. (Tell me again why we live here?)

It really comes down to what you want. Trailering a 27 a zillion miles for the weekend isn't a very good option, obviously, but as far as rigging, launch and retrieval, it's not so much different from a smaller boat. We can rig the 270 in about 20 minutes, and about 15-20 to get the rig pretty well tuned thereafter. It's only about 1/2 hour more that the Mac26c was.

Cheers
Gary

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
the 27 is 10" wider and the interior feels way bigger when compared to a 25. I get on both regularly. The 27 is a huge cave inside, the 25, not so huge. Bigger than a 22, but not same as a 27, no way.

Feb 26, 2004
Phil's right, of course, based on his greater knowledge. One thing to consider, however, is the layout. A dinette on a C27 compared to a traditional on a C25 may not be enough of a perceptual difference. I don't know how the V berths compare, but take a look at the specs on CY website to compare them.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Launching and retrieving is not an issue, I can do mine in about 15 minutes, which is no different from the time it took to launch my Mac 25. Towing will require a lot more horsepower and gas. You will also require regular maintenance to the brakes. For me the real problem is with the in raising the mast. I can do it by myself but it does take 3 times as long. The deck being 8 feet off the ground requires a lot more climbing up and down a much taller ladder. Supporting the mast on the bow pulpit has been done before, but I don't like the load that it puts on the pulpit as well as the mast. It is about 4 feet short of the midpoint on the mast. I have an extension ladder that is rig up in the truck bed, and am able to support it from the end of the mast. Using the boom has a gin poll requires that you have adjustable temporary stays to keep the boom upright. I also have a bridal attached to the middle stay to keep the mast from wandering. You also need about 70 feet of rope to rig up the block and tackle. All this takes about three times longer than rigging up the 25 footer.
To me it really isn't worth the effort for a weekend sail.
There's actually quite a bit of difference between the 27 and a 25 as far as cabin room and headroom, but for the convenience of trailering I would stick with the 25.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Phil's right, of course, based on his greater knowledge. One thing to consider, however, is the layout. A dinette on a C27 compared to a traditional on a C25 may not be enough of a perceptual difference. I don't know how the V berths compare, but take a look at the specs on CY website to compare them.

V-berth? What V-berth? :). I think you are referring to the forward sail storage area...

I can almost guarantee that the Admiral and I won't ever overnight in the V-berth. It really is no larger than a C25 or even a C22's.... Any overnighting I might do will be on port settee.

My 27 is a dinette model. I don't know if I would prefer the traditional layout, but it would increase the perceived volume even more. Luckily, the dinette on the 27 is large enough to make a 3-person settee with a shortened tabletop.

Attachments

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
Thanks All

We have spent a few outings on the 25 for six or so days. Admiral sleeps in V berth and I in the quarterberth. I would love a little more head room and be able to stand up in the head area. I have spent so much time and money on the 25 I guess I need to keep it for now. We are also talking about relocating to the Gulf Shores Area of the gulf. If that happens the 25 will go and a 30 to 36 will take its place. So far it is just talk. One more ice storm may get us going.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Launching and retrieving is not an issue, I can do mine in about 15 minutes, which is no different from the time it took to launch my Mac 25. Towing will require a lot more horsepower and gas. You will also require regular maintenance to the brakes. For me the real problem is with the in raising the mast. I can do it by myself but it does take 3 times as long. The deck being 8 feet off the ground requires a lot more climbing up and down a much taller ladder. Supporting the mast on the bow pulpit has been done before, but I don't like the load that it puts on the pulpit as well as the mast. It is about 4 feet short of the midpoint on the mast. I have an extension ladder that is rig up in the truck bed, and am able to support it from the end of the mast. Using the boom has a gin poll requires that you have adjustable temporary stays to keep the boom upright. I also have a bridal attached to the middle stay to keep the mast from wandering. You also need about 70 feet of rope to rig up the block and tackle. All this takes about three times longer than rigging up the 25 footer. To me it really isn't worth the effort for a weekend sail. There's actually quite a bit of difference between the 27 and a 25 as far as cabin room and headroom, but for the convenience of trailering I would stick with the 25.
Good thing they came to their senses and changed the rotation on the 270. It's so much easier to rotate the mast to the rear.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We sailed a Catalina 25 for 10 years and loved it. BUT we had some SERIOUS discussions about where we want to sail, Comfortably, and what we REALLY wanted in/on a boat and after looking for 1 1/2 years decided on a Catalina 310. When you go from a 25 to a 27, you might as well stay with the 25 BUT if you are serious on many levels,and you get aboard a 310 you will be amazed at what Gerry Douglas has done.
That may solve your questions. It is an amazing difference.

Feb 26, 2004
Alan's right. It's all about where you want to sail, and how. We gave up the trailering thing with our C22 after a few years. We did the Delta with the trailer, large California Lakes, and The Bay. Our new boat was a fixed keel C25 which stayed in the water all the time. But we did The Delta by water a number of times. Of course, never the Lakes again! :) But we didn't miss them. Replaced them with the ocean, sailed the C25 to Half Moon Bay and Monterey a number of times. Then in 1998 moved up to what we still have.

Good luck in your decision making.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Launching and retrieving is not an issue, I can do mine in about 15 minutes, which is no different from the time it took to launch my Mac 25. Towing will require a lot more horsepower and gas. You will also require regular maintenance to the brakes. For me the real problem is with the in raising the mast. I can do it by myself but it does take 3 times as long. The deck being 8 feet off the ground requires a lot more climbing up and down a much taller ladder. Supporting the mast on the bow pulpit has been done before, but I don't like the load that it puts on the pulpit as well as the mast. It is about 4 feet short of the midpoint on the mast. I have an extension ladder that is rig up in the truck bed, and am able to support it from the end of the mast. Using the boom has a gin poll requires that you have adjustable temporary stays to keep the boom upright. I also have a bridal attached to the middle stay to keep the mast from wandering. You also need about 70 feet of rope to rig up the block and tackle. All this takes about three times longer than rigging up the 25 footer.
To me it really isn't worth the effort for a weekend sail.
There's actually quite a bit of difference between the 27 and a 25 as far as cabin room and headroom, but for the convenience of trailering I would stick with the 25.
Wow that pic of the ladder in your truck bed holding the end of the mast looks scary. I would fear the ladder falling & smacking your truck cab or tailgate to death. I don't miss rigging a trailer sailer in a parking lot. I pretty much hated towing sailboats as well. Nerve racking experience in general.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
V-berth? What V-berth? :). I think you are referring to the forward sail storage area...

I can almost guarantee that the Admiral and I won't ever overnight in the V-berth. It really is no larger than a C25 or even a C22's.... Any overnighting I might do will be on port settee.

My 27 is a dinette model. I don't know if I would prefer the traditional layout, but it would increase the perceived volume even more. Luckily, the dinette on the 27 is large enough to make a 3-person settee with a shortened tabletop.
Phil, your C 27 looks pretty cozy in the cabin with all that leather covering the setees, etc. Where did you get those carpets that look like teak & holly cabin sole? Cheers.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Phil, your C 27 looks pretty cozy in the cabin with all that leather covering the setees, etc. Where did you get those carpets that look like teak & holly cabin sole? Cheers.
A marine fabrics supplier called SYNTEC makes that material. I arranged to ship my patterns off to a carpet shop to be digitized. The carpets were CNC cut and bound to my patterns.

The stuff is often found up on deck; I know of one Canadian builder who did or does use the stuff on their powerboats. UV inhibited, rubber backed, designed to be wet.

I like it and know from a previous boat that it holds up well. Cleaning means popping them out onto the dock, hosing them down, scrubbing, rinsing and leaving them to dry.