Irwin 28 on a trailer

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
@Meriachee id correct about truck size. I was the largest small boat dealer in the country besides the big boats with nearly 1 1/2 million miles pulling. If you think a one ton will pull that boat easily, you will regret that decision. Listen to those with experience, I did and was successful. Follow the meriachhee advice and me.
Are you saying 1 1/2 ton to pull that weight? A 1 ton has a tow capacity well over that weight.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Im reasonably sure Dave was having a senior moment :)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I said pulling boats over 1 1/2 million miles. Smallest truck was a 250 or larger for me. That was pushing it going over mountains with a 12,000 pound load

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I would rather a 1 ton I think. Just because the dually for stability in cross winds. Heading to the Lake from Denver is up I76 which has cross winds that are kinda wild at times. Those wind flags standing straight out perpendicular to you. Also since we eventually want to head to the great lakes, PNW and the Sea of Cortez I would want something more then capable with plenty of capacity to spare. The rockies and the cascades can mess you up quick.
I haven’t even been inside a “big” truck in years so I was curious about current capability. Wow!!

982A5495-46A3-418D-800D-142C03B0F38A.jpeg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I was looking at the trailer and it appears to be a relatively new stock flatbed with some additions. I would respectfully suggest you give it a good look over to see how well the boat “supports” are attached.

There is a reason @Meriachee uses a tri-axle trailer. If you are going to take the trips you intend I would think minimizing the road risk is high on your priority list.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Looked at it yesterday. It's in pretty decent condition. Owner wants way too much I think. There are a few unknowns due to it being on a trailer. Can't fire the engine for one.

It's bigger in person then in pictures. I really think he is nuts to pull it with an half ton.

Big concerns after looking at it are there was oil in the bilge (which could be spill or leak, the engine looks clean so I lean towards spill) and the plexiglass hatches are cracked and broken. The wood trim needs work, but let's be honest it will always need work. It would be a comfortable sailer. Roomy below, and since the fiance and I want a distance cruiser not a racer that is very nice.

The kitchen would need some work. Not enough storage in that area and there is only a cooler. And the cooler is not very big. It's enough for a weekend. There is plenty of room on the birth under the cockpit to stick our camping fridge but that would be temporary.

The electrical looked fantastic. Someone who cares did that. Clean work.

The trailer is pretty good, but I bet I end up having to redo wiring. Because wiring and water submersion. Both axles are electric brakes. Didn't see any obvious issues but also didn't hook up to it. The supports are welded on and look very solid to me. He said he strapped to the trailer to lower it into the water so didn't need an extension. Not how I would do it.

He renamed it from The Bucket List to The F@#$!it list. Which I actually found amusing.