Irwin 28 on a trailer

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
I have come across an Irwin 28 on a trailer. Inboard motor and centerboard. I have read some good some bad on them. What are the general thoughts of this forum?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I had an Irwin 23 for 10 years. It was simple, sailed well and the hull was sturdy. The mast was stepped on the cabin roof and it started to sag after I sold it. I would still buy it again. It gave me a lot of fun for what I paid for it. If it is centerboard model, that will probably be your most problematic item. It was mine.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
I had an Irwin 23 for 10 years. It was simple, sailed well and the hull was sturdy. The mast was stepped on the cabin roof and it started to sag after I sold it. I would still buy it again. It gave me a lot of fun for what I paid for it. If it is centerboard model, that will probably be your most problematic item. It was mine.
Looks like there is a support bulkhead under where the mast mounts. Haven't seen it in person yet so hard to say.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I do remember a bulkhead but it was replaced by the previous owner. I do not know whether or not it was designed to support the mast.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
I asked the owner what he pulled the boat with and he said he used an F150. I think that might be a little light when it comes to towing this.

Going to go look at it next weekend.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That depends on the geography. This comment from the guy who pulls (and stops) a fully loaded Catalina 270 on s triple axle trailer over the Western mountains with an f350 full length diesel
If youre just going from a to b over very flat ground, then maybe, bordering on barely. The advertising says it'll pull 13k. The same advertising that will sell you a new frame when it separates. Too small, too light.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
That depends on the geography. This comment from the guy who pulls (and stops) a fully loaded Catalina 270 on s triple axle trailer over the Western mountains with an f350 full length diesel
If youre just going from a to b over very flat ground, then maybe, bordering on barely. The advertising says it'll pull 13k. The same advertising that will sell you a new frame when it separates. Too small, too light.
I was running some numbers with out knowing what the trailer is and figured with gear, water and fuel it would be about 12k at the top end. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable with less then a 1 ton truck.

Aug 1, 2011
I am just over 11k. This truck is a minimum. Pulls it very nicely, doesn't fight the cruise, but you know that its back there. The old truck was a short wheelbase 250 and it was a bit of work. The long wheelbase is a serious pita in confined spaces.
Its all about the geography

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I asked the owner what he pulled the boat with and he said he used an F150. I think that might be a little light when it comes to towing this.

Going to go look at it next weekend.
I know someone that tows his Catalina 27 TR at the beginning and end of the season with an F150. He said it's a bit light but works

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Meriachee
Correct on geography. Also mast raising, how to put up? Keel or swing keel, either will require a longer ramp than most. F150 too light.
Experienced former sailboat dealer who was the largest stocking dealer of trailerable sailboats in the country. Feel free to send a private message
Crazy Dave

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
@Meriachee
Correct on geography. Also mast raising, how to put up? Keel or swing keel, either will require a longer ramp than most. F150 too light.
Experienced former sailboat dealer who was the largest stocking dealer of trailerable sailboats in the country. Feel free to send a private message
Crazy Dave
Owner says needs a crane to raise the mast. I would build a gin pole and get a pulley leading back to the winches. Swing keel, so 3 ft draft. I would bet I want a extension for the trailer.

Thank you for the input Dave!

Aug 1, 2011
Any boat could be a “trailer” boat. It just depends on how much effort is involved. Everybody up here is in that category. Ive seen 5-6 people struggling to get a Mac26c mast up. We had it down to 30 minutes ready to launch with no more than 2.
Not everybody can evaluate, build and refine a process, and clearly some people are intimidated by 30’ of aluminium. ;) its not a bad thing.

Aug 21, 2013
Catalina 250 Wing Beaver Lake - Starkey
Seems odd that a 28ft boat has only a 8ft beam. I was going to comment that you may need a special permit to tow it, but guess not. The F-150 shows a towing capacity of 8000 lbs max and the Irwin dry weight is about that. You add the trailer and extras, and it seems it would be too much for the F-150. Did you end up buying this boat? Seems like a seaworthy trailerable cruiser. But that trailer wouldn't be good for trying to float it off.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
The F-150 shows a towing capacity of 8000 lbs max and the Irwin dry weight is about that.
and not to be critical, but this is exactly where people get into trouble. Just because the truck shows it -can- pull that, it's not anything that one should do. In fact, it should never be much more than 75% of that, because what people fail to take into consideration is that these numbers are very likely calculated downhill, with a tailwind. Put that into play on a very hot day, and a very steep hill, into a tailwind where the truck isn't getting near enough air through the rads and you're going to more damage in 10 minutes than in years of unloaded driving.
Just sayin'

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Seems odd that a 28ft boat has only a 8ft beam. I was going to comment that you may need a special permit to tow it, but guess not. The F-150 shows a towing capacity of 8000 lbs max and the Irwin dry weight is about that. You add the trailer and extras, and it seems it would be too much for the F-150. Did you end up buying this boat? Seems like a seaworthy trailerable cruiser. But that trailer wouldn't be good for trying to float it off.
Going to look at tomorrow in person. Been a bit busy with other things since I started this thread. I want to get a good idea of what I am getting into though. If it has an extension I think I could float it off. Only needs 3 ft of water. Going to take longer then my last boat the SouthCoast 26 to float and load though thats for certain.

That trailer is at least 2k lbs. Plus water, gear, food, fuel, people and you are at 11k pretty quick.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
yep. 250/2500 class minimum.
I would rather a 1 ton I think. Just because the dually for stability in cross winds. Heading to the Lake from Denver is up I76 which has cross winds that are kinda wild at times. Those wind flags standing straight out perpendicular to you. Also since we eventually want to head to the great lakes, PNW and the Sea of Cortez I would want something more then capable with plenty of capacity to spare. The rockies and the cascades can mess you up quick.

Aug 1, 2011
That's why I said minimum. The little Catalina has been over the big hills. I wouldn't do it with a 250, it's just too hard on the truck. Not being a specific Ford guy, I had the older 6 leaker International motor in the 250, and this 350 (2011) has the 6.7 true ford motor and it's a great engine. The new ones have a 10 speed transmission, but I don't have that kind of cash.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Meriachee id correct about truck size. I was the largest small boat dealer in the country besides the big boats with nearly 1 1/2 million miles pulling. If you think a one ton will pull that boat easily, you will regret that decision. Listen to those with experience, I did and was successful. Follow the meriachhee advice and me.