Iron keel....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
hello all. So I'm in the market for. Beneteau 423. All new to the iron keel as my past has always been lead. The first boat we looked at was neglected and when we pull it during survey, the keel had significant rust (2005) even more so on the bottom. The keel was just icing on the cake. He obviously did nothing. what should I look for and what should I walk away from when just looking at the keel.....

Thanks!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Because it is iron any hard grounding will be transferred to the keel bolts and into he structural grid. So I would be looking for signs of impact and separation from the hull. Other than that I find maintenance on an iron keel to be no big deal now that we have great marine epoxy primers like InterprotectHS. Properly prep'ed and sealed an iron keel is easy to keep up with and they can be given very fine hydrodynamic shapes.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
they can be given very fine hydrodynamic shapes.
I'm not aware of a difference in shaping of iron vs. lead keels. Please elaborate. How does shape relate to physical properties of the metal or method of fabrication? I assume both are cast.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The trailing edge of an iron keel can be made very sharp, virtually the same as a performance aircraft wing because of the material strength. That allows you to get a nice long chord on on your foil, and a perfect NACA proportion, without having to compromise on keel shape and thickness to overcome the material weakness of lead. That trailing edge is 1/2"
B411 keel 2016.jpg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Gunni, do you have the yard hang your boat while you tend to the bottom of the keel? This boat I looked at originally had 4 coats of epoxie barrier (I spoke with the selling yard) and it was a mess.

Thanks for the
Input!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
No this is my working set up. My yard guys saw that I had scraped up my bulb pretty good last year and blocked by keel to give me good access to the worst of it. This year I will have them block it in the center of the bulb and work on the ends. Once you get an iron keel right, it stays right as long as you don't gouge it. And if you do a new coat of epoxy primer and some thickened (cabosil) epoxy filler fairs it up nicely.

The problems I see with a lot of iron keels is that proper protocol for repair was not followed. It is important to seal up prepared bare metal surfaces quickly, within hours, so you need to pick your weather windows carefully. This year I prepped the wire brushed surfaces with Ospho to fix any residual rust (per the yard old-timers recommendation), and applied epoxy barrier coat per instruction for the "no sand system".

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ospho would be phosphoric acid, i.e. navel jelly? Bottom looks real good - nice work. I wasn't aware that lead needs to be more thick on the edges.
Bear with me a second here. Lead is choosen because it is the most dense of keel materials - except gold. Iron isn't as dense but can be shaped better. Steel is the least dense of common materials. Do sailboat designers take this all into account? Or do builders use what is m

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Ospho would be phosphoric acid, i.e. navel jelly? Bottom looks real good - nice work. I wasn't aware that lead needs to be more thick on the edges.
Bear with me a second here. Lead is choosen because it is the most dense of keel materials - except gold. Iron isn't as dense but can be shaped better. Steel is the least dense of common materials. Do sailboat designers take this all into account? Or do builders use what is m
Iron is cheaper than lead. Keels are all cast regardless of which material so it's a price choice manufacturers make without regard to us. Also, because it's more dense, lead is a more effective ballast

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Iron is cheaper than lead. Keels are all cast regardless of which material so it's a price choice manufacturers make without regard to us. Also, because it's more dense, lead is a more effective ballast
This is the kind of thing you say when you don't understand how boats are made to go faster.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Ospho is phosphoric acid and dichromate. It inerts the oxidation at the micro level and allows the epoxy primer to bond to the iron surface. So far so good we'll see when she comes out after Thanksgiving.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
This is the kind of thing you say when you don't understand how boats are made to go faster.
My understanding is that Beneteau is pretty open about the fact that they use iron so that they can deliver the boats at a certain price point. I agree with your points about iron providing more strength than lead, and that can help for some of the lifting surfaces, but for ballast lead is the higher performance option.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Actually Tungsten is much heavier than gold or lead. Its also super expensive. I've always been curious why they don't make a shell out of stainless sheet metal and back fill it with lead. That would give zero maintenance.

But back to the OP's issues. Rust expands by about a factor of 12. So if it is bad enough to actually be flaking off, you still are not loosing that much material. The best way to deal with rust is to sand blast it. If you try to grind it, you will take off way too much material to get down to the level of the pitting. Sand blasting will be much faster. My swing keel is cast iron. I started out with a grinder, which was not practical. I bought a cheap sand blaster from Horrible Freight, which worked pretty well. The only draw back is that the width of the blast is pretty small, so you end up going back and forth a lot.

Incidentally I've read that rust removal products should not be used on cast iron, as they tend to dissolve more than just the rust.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The trailing edge of an iron keel can be made very sharp, virtually the same as a performance aircraft wing because of the material strength. That allows you to get a nice long chord on on your foil, and a perfect NACA proportion, without having to compromise on keel shape and thickness to overcome the material weakness of lead. That trailing edge is 1/2"View attachment 129863
Gunni, I'm have to differ with you here. Keels, whether cast in lead or iron, don't come out of their mold perfectly fair. As they cool they can distort and shrink. If templating a keel for perfect shape is important to an owner/racer, it is much easier to tweak a lead keel that is too plump by removing material in some parts than it is to tweak an iron keel. I agree with you that lead is not as strong as iron in thin areas like the trailing edge of a keel, however, great strength isn't needed there. For performance purposes, the trailing edge of a keel should not be sharp. The preferred shape should be a blunt, squared off edge. This goes for rudders also. For a 42' boat, the trailing edge should probably be about of 1/4" or less in width.

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005

Don: Agreed. Putting price aside, lead offers the designer a couple of distinct performance advantages.

Gunni: Since lead is denser than iron, the volume, therefore the surface area of a lead keel will be less when compared to an iron keel of the same weight. This allows the designer to design a boat with a specific draft that will have greater stability without increasing wetted surface area by lowering the center of gravity of the keel. Lead also enables the designer to use slimmer foil shapes which helps a boat point better. An iron keel may need to have a fatter foil section in order to achieve the required ballast. Fatter foil sections don't point as well. These are all performance enhancers attributed to lead being used as a keel material instead of iron .

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Lead also enables the designer to use slimmer foil shapes which helps a boat point better. An iron keel may need to have a fatter foil section in order to achieve the required ballast.
Ted, I will refer you back up to the photo in post #4 - does it look like the designer had any problem creating a slim foil section or achieving the required ballast with iron? Modern boat design and manufacturing techniques have made it possible to build properly ballasted iron keel boats that point very well and at a price which results in more boat for the owner. That is likely why NYSail is shopping for a boat that has an iron keel rather than a lead keel - he sees which choice gives him more boat.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don: Agreed. Putting price aside, lead offers the designer a couple of distinct performance advantages.

Gunni: Since lead is denser than iron, the volume, therefore the surface area of a lead keel will be less when compared to an iron keel of the same weight. This allows the designer to design a boat with a specific draft that will have greater stability without increasing wetted surface area by lowering the center of gravity of the keel. Lead also enables the designer to use slimmer foil shapes which helps a boat point better. An iron keel may need to have a fatter foil section in order to achieve the required ballast. Fatter foil sections don't point as well. These are all performance enhancers attributed to lead being used as a keel material instead of iron .
In AAs like this, it seems obvious that such comments reflect the flaw and cheaper production practice of using iron which has no effect on speed but can negatively affect performance because of the lighter keel weight.
Not to mention the maintenance issues iron brings into play, the flat bottom hull design fwd of the keel which is characteristic in these boats is a means used to squeeze some extra speed but at the expense of promoting pounding into breaking waves further reducing speed.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
Ted, I will refer you back up to the photo in post #4 - does it look like the designer had any problem creating a slim foil section or achieving the required ballast with iron? Modern boat design and manufacturing techniques have made it possible to build properly ballasted iron keel boats that point very well and at a price which results in more boat for the owner. That is likely why NYSail is shopping for a boat that has an iron keel rather than a lead keel - he sees which choice gives him more boat.
Gunni, I think that you may have misunderstood what I was trying to illustrate. Pouring a keel using cast iron or lead is not the issue. Both materials can be used to make any desired keel foil shape. The point I was making was that if you compared two identical shaped keels that weighed the same, the lead keel will have a noticeably lower center of gravity. As we know, lead is denser than iron and therefore less is needed to achieve the required weight that the designer intended. To maintain the identical planform of the two keels, the designer of a lead keel boat would provide a fiberglass stub moulded into the hull which is the shape of the upper portion of the keel ballast where they mate. Because the stub is lighter than the ballast, the ballast is lower in the keel and therefore the center of gravity is lower. There is no way to achieve this with cast iron when comparing two identical keel shapes. It's not about designing a keel with the proper amount of ballast, it's about doing it with less surface area and a lower center of gravity, both of which are performance boosters. The lower density of cast iron makes it impossible to achieve the same righting moment as an identically shaped lead keel.

Going back to the photo you referenced in post #4, if that keel were made of lead, the upper 12" (just an approximation) portion of the keel could have been a fiberglass stub which would lower the center of gravity and give the boat greater stability and sail carrying ability/speed. In my mind, that is a value vs performance compromise.

Sorry NYSail for getting so sidetracked on this discussion.:( All boats are a compromise. Hope you find a well maintained boat without issues.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Going back to the photo you referenced in post #4, if that keel were made of lead, the upper 12" (just an approximation) portion of the keel could have been a fiberglass stub which would lower the center of gravity and give the boat greater stability and sail carrying ability/speed.
Oh, not keel stubs, sorry, I wouldn't own a boat with a keel stub. I 'm real glad that my keel bolts directly to the structural grid of the hull, not a molded fiberglass appendage of unknown strength. The construction is complex, and prone to design and construction error. Why, to get the ballast a little lower?
A newly launched 80ft Oyster:

This one is older but you could blast and re-coat 20 iron keels for the labor in this repair.
Oday 302