• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Invest 95L --> TD 13 --> TS Lee --> Hurricane Lee --> PTS Lee

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hurricane Lee current information, from the Hurricane Hunters.

recon_AF306-0813A-LEE.png

The Eye of the Storm is experiencing some Shear , which distorts the Eye, which is Huge.:yikes:

recon_AF306-0813A-LEE_dropsond.png

Dammit Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hurricane Lee update.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 10.00.46 AM.png

If there is any Good News, it is moving over the area of less HEAT fuel, as it passes the Gulf Stream.

h20_aQG3_latest_natl.gif

Note the change in Intensity or Category before landfall.
______

This is the camera Data Buoy in Hurricane Lee's path.

NDBC - Station 41048 Recent Data

plot_wind_pres.php.png

Pressure is falling.

DAMMIT Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I deleted the sound, but it does get idea across of the Ride they get inside the aircraft.

Heroes for sure.:clap:

Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hurricane Lee update.

View attachment 219849

If there is any Good News, it is moving over the area of less HEAT fuel, as it passes the Gulf Stream.

View attachment 219850

Note the change in Intensity or Category before landfall.
______

This is the camera Data Buoy in Hurricane Lee's path.

NDBC - Station 41048 Recent Data

View attachment 219851

Pressure is falling.

DAMMIT Jim...
Thank you. I'm going to secure my boat, but not haul it. It's on a mooring with new tackle, and a bridle. I'll secure it Thursday morning. Would love an update early tomorrow! :)