Introduction and first question

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Hi Chris,
Welcome to our awesome little group. It sounds like you have an exciting retirement planned. Sailing is one of the best adventures you could choose.

You sound like you have thought things through and are making some good choices already. Hey, you joined SBO, :thumbup: point made.

As far as your immediate question, I'm sorry, I have little to offer. Bring some Dramamine or Scopolamine, but I would think the ASA course would cover all things sailing specific.

If you have a favored PFD, bring that

-Will (Dragonfly)
We use OTC Chewable Bonine-You should be able to get it CVS,Walgreens,ETC as compared to Dramamine.
Flashlight,skull cap (beanie), pull apart licorice, First Aid kit, Go to your Dr. and ask for 600 mg IBuprofen in case of serious injury to take the edge off of pain-Non Narcotic and Non addictive, good book or two,All sailors should have a good knife and whistle when sailing. File a float plan!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I must disagree. Attempting to use an expensive smartphone as a flashlight on deck if doing anything important, or even at all, is folly, IMHO. Leave the smartphone in your bag for use below decks, You may suddenly need your flashlight-hand to grab & hold something to keep from tripping or falling in. Flashlight should have a wrist lanyard. Think “simplicity“ when doing tasks on a sailboat. Many tasks have to be addressed or completed with one hand only free.
Better yet, is a LED headlamp, switchable to red LED. It doesn't need to be high power.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The problems with those things are two: the first is that you might/could night-blind anyone you turn to face. Even with red light, if it is bright. The second is that they usually require adjustment to aim the light where were you might wish to look. A headlamp is not better than a flashlight if you wish to check the wind vane at the masthead, for example. Also, our boats have little clearance to insert one’s full head and headlamp into a confined space to inspect something that cannot be illuminated from outside the space, etc. They are slower to use and more cumbersome than a flashlight that can be pulled from the pocket with one hand, switched on and aimed directly where you wish to look. Switched off, then put back in the pocket. You're offering to make complicated something that is easy and straightforward.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The problems with those things are two: the first is that you might/could night-blind anyone you turn to face. Even with red light, if it is bright. The second is that they usually require adjustment to aim the light where were you might wish to look. A headlamp is not better than a flashlight if you wish to check the wind vane at the masthead, for example. Also, our boats have little clearance to insert one’s full head and headlamp into a confined space to inspect something that cannot be illuminated from outside the space, etc. They are slower to use and more cumbersome than a flashlight that can be pulled from the pocket with one hand, switched on and aimed directly where you wish to look. Switched off, then put back in the pocket. You're offering to make complicated something that is easy and straightforward.
To each their own I guess. I love using a headlamp for jobs around the boat. Flashlights and smartphones are ok, but it’s always tough to perch them someplace where they’re pointed at your work area. Then you get it pointed in just the right way, not having it roll around, and you realize you need to check something else, so you need to go through the whole balancing routine again. A headlamp on the other hand is easily pointed right where you’re looking and it moves with you.

I haven’t tried using it for nighttime Navigation, so I can’t speak for how it compares with a flashlight there.

Jun 14, 2010
:banghead:
I disagree with every point except the masthead/vane one. The type of beam ideal for that is not the same light I’d use in other situations. Sorry for the thread drift.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
King's thoughts on flashlights are good. If you plan on sailing at night, a headlamp with a red light as well as a white light is very handy. Red light won't ruin your night vision the way white light will and a headlamp is hands free while keeping the light where you are looking.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
:banghead:
I disagree with every point except the masthead/vane one. The type of beam ideal for that is not the same light I’d use in other situations. Sorry for the thread drift.
I just take it you’ve never had the experience of being in your dinghy in pitch black darkness and have one of the “crew” don a headlamp with bright white light, then turn to face you to ask a question, or otherwise. It’s bizzare what some lubbers do.:oops:

Jul 8, 2020
Catalina 36 MKII 1443 Mobjack Bay
What an awesome welcome and bunch of good info! Thanks everyone.
I think we'll BOTH get more out of our classes without having to wonder how we're performing in front of the other.
She can just concentrate on her and I can just concentrate on me.
It was actually the schools suggestion and I agreed wholeheartedly right away. They even set her up with an all female class.
They did admit that the young handsome skipper for their class is a great motivator. I don't know what was meant by that.
They do suggest that anything after 103 be done together. Especially the docking class.
@shemandr I grew up snow skiing in the Adirondacks and Vermont. I've taught several people to ski successfully. It seemed only logical that I'd teach my wife to ski right? Nope! I ruined it for her and it's a subject we don't talk about. I learned my lesson. We learned to SCUBA dive seperatly also. That worked out much better. We're wonderful dive buddies though.
Each dive trip we decide ahead of time who takes the lead.

The ASA 103 course, "basic coastal cruising" does not include an overnight sailing experience; however, weather permitting, you might anchor overnight .
That's right. Each coarse (101 and 103) is 4 days long and we are welcome to sleep on the boat at the dock. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm not sure yet if I'm even gonna take them up on the offer.

Jun 14, 2010
I just take it you’ve never had the experience of being in your dinghy in pitch black darkness and have one of the “crew” don a headlamp with bright white light, then turn to face you to ask a question, or otherwise. It’s bizzare what some lubbers do.:oops:
That's a crew training issue, and also applies to the crew who shines that bright beam inside the boat (the one you'd use to illuminate the masthead).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Nice list of things offered up by everyone. I'll only add a couple things. There are rubberized gloves sold at places like tractor supply. They use them on farms a lot for working in wet, cold conditions. They are cheap. I like having two or three pairs per person aboard so a pair can dry out while using another dry pair. They have cloth liners and the rubberized outside is really nice and grippy. Also I like having a good pair of ski goggles to wear in bad weather.

Doing the Great Loop is awesome. But I think it's better done in a trawler than a sailboat honestly.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Doing the Great Loop is awesome. But I think it's better done in a trawler than a sailboat honestly.
But Dave, you miss all the excitement of dropping the mast to get out of Lake Michigan, and scooting down the Mississippi running into mud bars with the 5ft keel. Just imagine all the missed fun.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It might be a good idea to experience the boat over night. It is a different experience even at the dock.
Chris,
I have done several of these ASA courses and we have also had "3 day onboard reunion sails" in which a specific topic was emphasized, such as docking. I always stayed on board with the crew, even when we opted to stay dockside to run the air conditioner during summer months! It was always a good experience spending time with like minded sailors. We usually had dinner and drinks at a nearby restaurant, and more drinks on the boat! Good to share sailing experiences with other sailors and talk boats. Maybe just good luck; however,
we always had a group of good folks.

Jul 8, 2020
That's a crew training issue, and also applies to the crew who shines that bright beam inside the boat (the one you'd use to illuminate the masthead).
Spot on. I had to do some specific training with my Scout troop over this issue. It seemed like all of the boys decided that headlamps were de riguer. They would forget they had it on and would jump up in my face to talk. It hasn't been a problem for some time now. They even get new Scouts up to speed pretty quickly. I can imagine jobs for many different styles of light above and below deck.

Jul 8, 2020
But Dave, you miss all the excitement of dropping the mast to get out of Lake Michigan, and scooting down the Mississippi running into mud bars with the 5ft keel. Just imagine all the missed fun.
Thanks for the tip. I've wondered about the feasibility of using a sailboat for that trip. It's only a vague idea for us at this point. We'll mostly be living on the East Coast.

Jul 8, 2020
Chris,
I have done several of these ASA courses and we have also had "3 day onboard reunion sails" in which a specific topic was emphasized, such as docking. I always stayed on board with the crew, even when we opted to stay dockside to run the air conditioner during summer months! It was always a good experience spending time with like minded sailors. We usually had dinner and drinks at a nearby restaurant, and more drinks on the boat! Good to share sailing experiences with other sailors and talk boats. Maybe just good luck; however,
we always had a group of good folks.
Yeah, the more I've been thinking about it... I feel like I'd be missing out on a big feature of why I chose this school over several others.
By the way, I spent 6 yrs in New Orleans in the 90's working my way up the culinary career ladder. I worked with Paul Prudhomme and Emeril Lagasse.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do not be scared away from this idea. It just may need perspective. If a couple of college grad girls (opps Young Women). can accomplish the adventure there should be "nothing to fear but fear itself".

Sure they had some help and guidance from their dad in boat prep... But the story is about being young, free and adaptive.

Good Luck.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
So this ASA stuff is for a couple of days onboard correct and not just day sailing? Assuming that a lot of the suggestions are good. My minimum list would be:
Dry Bag
Inflatable PFD (I have the Mustangs and like them).
Foul weather great (it is Virginia in August and it will rain buckets at times)
Change of clothes
Dry star or similar shirts (the fact these wick your sweat away will make you so much more comfortable and relaxed better than cotton)
A small flashlight (I have a $4 one from WalMart that is pencil sized, has a nice bright white light that you can read by and has a flashing red mode; and it has a lanyard so you can hook it onto your jacket or wrist)
Hat and sunscreen

Most of the suggestions here are very good.