Introduction and first question

Jul 8, 2020
Catalina 36 MKII 1443 Mobjack Bay
Hi folks. I’m new here and hope you all welcome me to your group.
I’ll do my best to research before firing off common questions.
Just a little quick info why I’m here:
My wife and I live in Central Va. and are currently in the process of setting up our retirement life near Mobjack Bay on the Chesapeake. I’ve always had an existential size desire to spend the majority of my time sailing the East coast, ICW and Great Loop. And I have a wonderful wife that’s always been a willing companion on my planned and un-planned adventures.
We don’t have plans for any blue-water cruising. I know my limits.
Even though I’ve spent a lot of time on the water fishing and SCUBA diving, my sailing experience is limited to my childhood Sunfish kept at our lake house in the Adirondacks where I grew up.
We are both signed up for a 4 day live-aboard ASA 101 and 4 day live-aboard ASA 103 with Maryland Sailing School.
I do mine in August and she does hers in October.

We’d both really appreciate advice on what personal sailing gear we should have with us, so we are prepared. We’re especially interested in gear suitable for late October on the Chesapeake. I’m not talking about personal gear like socks and toiletries. I’m talking about deck gear and the kind of comfort stuff for below deck that someone in our case wouldn’t think of.

Thank you.
Chris

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi Chris,
Welcome to our awesome little group. It sounds like you have an exciting retirement planned. Sailing is one of the best adventures you could choose.

You sound like you have thought things through and are making some good choices already. Hey, you joined SBO, :thumbup: point made.

As far as your immediate question, I'm sorry, I have little to offer. Bring some Dramamine or Scopolamine, but I would think the ASA course would cover all things sailing specific.

If you have a favored PFD, bring that

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Welcome, Chris.
First and foremost- make sure your first mate (or admiral) feels that she can bring the boat to a safe port if something were to happen to you. It will go a long way towards making her feel comfortable and confident aboard. It’s her boat too. Couples tend to settle into roles, so that means you need to regularly switch roles with her when navigating, docking, sail handling, learning how to use electronics, decisions about crossing courses other boats, etc.
As for your question about “gear”; If your boat is 30’ plus I recommend you buy a set of Sena SPH 10 headset intercoms. AKA “marriage savers”. When working as a team when docking, anchoring, lifting a dinghy using a halyard, etc. it eliminates shouting and facilitates nuanced communication you wouldn’t have otherwise.
Many people will say “real sailors use hand signals” but we used hand signals for more than 30 years and let me tell you this is money well spent. (BTW these are not cheap for a pair, but they work really well and they are full-duplex (which means you can both talk at the same time) unlike cheap units that cut out one person while the other talks. They are also good at minimizing wind noise interference.

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome, Salty.. Sounds like you guys are doing the right things to start another adventure!! The classes will reveal the things that you'll need.. a lot of stuff is "comfort" stuff that is personal.. for instance, I have to have my coffee in the morning and the type of pot/brewer is critical .. I use an old French drip pot but many folks use a French press or a little vacuum pot..
Good to have ya aboard!!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Reading your post, your request was for "personal gear". My offering will be just that. Your clothing should be athletic in nature. Something that readily dries and can wick moisture away. 2 pairs for each of you will allow washing one wearing the other. A great feature in many outdoors clothing sets now id UV protection and zip off legs..Stay away from cotton, Fleece is great for warmth. Because it's made from recycled plastic bottles it sheds water quickly. Outer layer needs to be breathable. Foul weather with ventilation IS essential. Reinforcement in critical areas ( knees, elbows, butt) is also a top priority. Positive locking cuffs as well. Don't forget a goos sun screen and a wide brim hat. AND... when trying on that foul weather gear, don't forget the PFD... It needs to function with the gear...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Welcome

I also have a great loop fantasy and have read a few books on the subject... from what I can tell from my research ....you choose to do this in a sailboat you will need to think about a boat that can easily instep the mast and then transport the mast on deck for a stretch.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
BTW I lived 26 years in central VA and trailered my boat to the Chesapeake and/or the outer banks every summer.
Great choice :thumbup:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Chris,
First, welcome aboard. Ask anything here, after researching the archives, and I am certain that you’ll get a diverse response. I think that was very smart move to enroll you & especially your wife in sailing lessons from the start. Nothing like learning in a controlled & methodical manner, without the mayhem. After completing the ASA103 course, you will be “certified”, but not necessarily experienced enough to charter 30 something foot boats. Definitely different from sailing a sun fish because of all the systems on board. And, you will be instructed about those systems in the 103 course.
My understanding is that you asked about items to bring aboard for your live aboard course. The sailing school should provide a list of essential items to bring. Keep in mind that they will ask you to pack lightly because other students and captain will be on board ....there will be minimal storage space available. A small duffle bag with a couple changes of clothes & toiletry kit will be adequate. Also bring a light weight rain suit and perhaps a very lightweight sleeping bag, if allowed. As others have suggested, be sure to bring a hat & cap as well as sun screen. Because your wife will be doing her course in late October, the weather will be quite different, and she will will have to layer appropriately as compared to your August trip. Ask the school about PFDs, there will be USCG required pfds on board. Depending on weather forecast & your swimming ability, I would bring an inflatable PFD, one that has sewn on metal rings on which to attach a teather for future outings in rough weather. Don’t forget your headphones if you want to listen to some tunes at night while relaxing or studying for the ASA exam, sometimes given onboard. Ask the school about bringing your favorite alcoholic beverage for consumption at night while anchored or at the dock, some allow it & some don’t. Also ask them to send the ASA book a few weeks before the actual course so that you will have ample time to prepare before getting on board. Each ASA course has numerous learning objectives; that’s what you will be tested on. Have fun!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you can beg borrow or steal a dry bag I think you will find it useful. If it rains, and it usually does, the cabin will become wet. It will dry out but it will be nice to have dry clothes to change into. More so in October than August. Also you're electronics will be safe in it. Kudos for taking the course separately. I tell folks not to try to teach their wives to snow ski. Let a Ski Instructor do that and stay friends.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Welcome aboard, @Salty Cracker .

I'll never forget the advice a padre gave me while preparing for a field exercise during basic training: "Any idiot can be uncomfortable." Little luxuries, like coffee (as others have suggested), can make a big difference. But keep it to one or two that are important to you. I would imagine that space is pretty limited when you're on one of those courses.

Regarding PFDs, my wife and I bought Mustang inflatables years ago, when we had an airplane that we regularly crossed water with. We use them on the boat now, and love them. They're expensive, but worth it if you're in the game for a long time.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Oh SNAP! I made that mistake. It ended in tears... it was on our honeymoon. Somehow we are still together 30 years later but I'm still not sure how I pulled that off.
Maybe because there isn't much snow in Charleston or Alabama? And you took up sailing instead?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi Salty Cracker,
Welcome to SBO, and congratulations on your plans! As for personal gear useful on deck for an overnights trip (I’m assuming), a small personal flashlight is a very handy item. If you normally use reading glasses, better bring them as well for seeing, inspecting, or manipulating small items like shackle pins or rings in dim light. The boat may have its own set of binoculars; but then again, it may not. I‘ve found common-use ones to be of low quality, and thus not “user friendly.“ If you’re going to be sailing much you’ll need a good pair of your own binoculars. It’s better now if they are not big and heavy. So, I would not get the 7x50 Fujinon Polaris right now. Something smaller in the 7x30 or 8x30 sizes. Also, a belt-tool is good. One of those multi-function types you can get at ACE; foldable, with the pliers. BTW. Since you and your wife are going to be on separate ASA trips, you wouldn’t need any talkie gear right now (if ever).

Hope this helps. The list could get quite long!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hi Salty Cracker,
Welcome to SBO, and congratulations on your plans! As for personal gear useful on deck for an overnights trip (I’m assuming), a small personal flashlight for each of you is a very handy item.
The ASA 103 course, "basic coastal cruising" does not include an overnight sailing experience; however, weather permitting, you might anchor overnight . King's flashlight recommendation is a good one or your smart phone's flashlight app will suffice. Speaking of smart phones, be sure to bring your charger. Ask the school if the boat has a DC charging adaptor for recharging in the event that you are anchored without provisions for your AC charger.
Also, be sure to bring sailing gloves as you will be doing quite a bit of tacking, jibing, and MOB drills.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Salty.
As you can see our groups is full of helpful hints. We all hope your first experiences are positive so we pay it forward.

I find it nice to have gear I know when traveling on another boat. So I invested in a PFD. The dry bag suggestion was sneaky valuable. Nothing ever is fun when your wet and cold and have another 30 minutes on watch. The training center will likely share the minimum suggested requirements, but to distill it down, where what will be comfortable in wet and dry, warm and cold conditions. Out on the water in August can be sweltering while October can have frost in the air. Wet in cotton in 45 degrees is not good just like heavy weight water proof dry suit in August would be a sauna unbearable.

Since this is experimental by nature you want to choose clothing that you can wear even if you decide that sailing is not for you after the training.

Dry socks.. Nothing like them to put on after the Midnight to 4AM watch when your struggling to get into your sleeping bag to stop shivering.

Have fun and enjoy the new experiences. Let us know how it goes and share pictures of your successes and not so much...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Last but not least,
some items taken from my list when I used to charter several years ago.

Chap stick & sunscreen, Medications
lightweight sleeping bag or sheets/pillowcase, 2 bath towels/wash cloths
Wind breaker type jacket, long sleeve "t"s or UV shirt , sunglasses & strap
bug repellant, gloves
cap/hat phone & charger
light weight rain gear, boat shoes, shower sandals ( for showering ashore)
PFD

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
...or your smart phone's flashlight app will suffice.
I must disagree. Attempting to use an expensive smartphone as a flashlight on deck if doing anything important, or even at all, is folly, IMHO. Leave the smartphone in your bag for use below deck, You may suddenly need your flashlight-hand to grab & hold something to keep from tripping or falling in. Flashlight should have a wrist lanyard. Think “simplicity“ when doing tasks on a sailboat. Many tasks have to be addressed or completed with one hand only free.

Last edited: