Internal Lines Hunter 34 Mast

Aug 10, 2015
Hunter 34 Charleston
Trying to figure out what each of the lines on my mast are for on my Hunter 34. I have the tall rig, 46 ft. tall mast. Removed the mast and am refurbishing. Want to re-rig it right. Masthead has 4 sheaves two of which were being used, one forward, one aft. These were the jib halyard and main halyard respectively I assume. Another line exited out the side of the mast about 2 ft below the masthead and was threaded through a block on the masthead. This I assume was the spinnaker halyard. All the halyards should be 3/8 or 7/16 I believe. There are also two lines exiting the front of the mast, one a sheave about half way up and one above that about 3 ft. below the masthead. I think the lower one is for the uphaul on the spinnaker car but what about the upper one? Can anyone confirm what these lines are for and confirm the proper size for those lines? I assume it is 7/16 like the rest of the halyards.
Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
These were the jib halyard and main halyard respectively I assume.
Good and logical assumption.
Spinnaker assumption also most likely.
Halyard size is based on the size of the sheaves and your desire for hand feel.
The unknown halyard sheave may be for a inner stay sail. Is there a place for a second inner forestay (cutter rig) on the fore deck.
Line size can be small for lighter weight aloft as long as the line strength is chosen for the work it needs to serve. The new lines give us sailors the options to select smaller sized lines.

Aug 10, 2015
Hunter 34 Charleston
There is no inner forestay. Perhaps the mast was set up with that in mind in case there was. Or maybe the line is there for some sort of fractional rig?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mine does not have the extra lower sheave, above the spin pole topping lift. I have two jib halyards on a double slot foil to enable headsail changes .. a spin halyard exits below the mast head (black line) and the pole topping lift (red line).. and one mainsail halyard.. On mast base, the two jib halyards are on swivel blocks on either side of the mast and spin halyard (black) and topping lift (red) and main halyard exit the original foot sheaves..
P7090333.JPG IMG_0362.JPG

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jack, my boat is different from yours, Manufacture put in a hard point on the mast in about the same place you are describing. I set up the mast on refit to create a Cutter rig option. Added a sheave and internal halyard for this option. When I set up the hard point on the foredeck I will use the prepared mast infrastructure.
It is possible your mast was "enabled". Might contact a Hunter dealer to get their thoughts.