insurance caribbean

Mar 19, 2018
Beneteau 363 Clark's Court ,Grenada
Purchasing a new cruiser to be moored in Grenada and am unhappy with quotes for insurance I am finding. Both pricing and usage restrictions. The 1.5% -2% of hull value is a rarity!
Hoping to get a suggestion for an underwriter/broker.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Have you tried Gowrie Group? PM me for details if interested. I've had them for years and they are excellent.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Just saw this post. We are currently using Offshore Risk Management out of the Florida/Georgia area as our agent. They were able to find us a reasonably priced policy but it was still a substantial increase from last year. As we can tell the increase is two fold. First, even before the storms, Lloyd's of London were ending the Lloyd's Marine underwriters. There are still Lloyd's products you can get but the previous Marine group was the most cost effective. Second, and more obvious, were the storms from the 2017 hurricane season. All the marine underwriters took big hits and many policies have become more restrictive.

Our current policy is underwritten by Coastal Marine Services Ltd. who is associated with Lloyd's. For a policy with $70K hull value, $939,900 liability, dinghy and personal property of $10K and 3rd party liability of $300K we pay $2,500. This policy lets us stay in the box and has reasonable deductibles for named storms if we follow our approved hurricane plan.

Good luck and fair winds

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just FYI. I learned from one of our yacht club members who had his boat destroyed by Irma on Tortola, a "named storm" really jacks up the claim deductible on your insurance. Read the fine print! :yikes: