Installing midship cleats

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
My Hunter 36 doesn't have midship cleats, and after a recent encounter with a dock I feel it would be a good idea to add them. How have other people done this?

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Does that boat have a toe rail? Just last Saturday I installed a Johnson folding toe rail cleat on our Hunter 33.5. I was skeptical of a folding cleat with a single bolt being sturdy enough but had read a few forum posts with positive reviews so I decided to take a chance. I don't have enough experience with it to make my opinion of much value, but it does appear to be plenty stout and it makes a solid connection to the toe rail.

SBO has the cheapest price I found but it appears they're out of stock.
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?3590

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
my boat is really narrow, I can't see myself adding any cleats, can I use the shrouds to tie off? or would that be too strenuous on the shrouds?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
my boat is really narrow, I can't see myself adding any cleats, can I use the shrouds to tie off? or would that be too strenuous on the shrouds?
From a functional point of view, it doesn't matter how narrow or wide your boat is. They are very good to have.

Shrouds? Nope. Why? Think about how they are designed: they support the mast, and their forces are in line with the shrouds. They are not made like guitar strings to be plucked. :)

Put in two midship cleats. You'll really enjoy them.

Or, with a boat your size, use the jib sheet winches and a short line to a dock stern cleat. I did that all the time with our C25.

Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I agree with Stu. When docking solo, especially with a contrary wind, I use a short rope, with a loop tied in it. I marked the spot I want to tighten it to on my port cabin top winch that stops me short of hitting the dock with my bow.

As I come in, I drop the loop over the end post on my finger pier and idle the boat with transmission in forward. Boat eases to a stop as the line tightens, and the boat is pulled up against the finger pier.

I have a mid-ship cleat, but I find keeping this rope handy for docking., and using the cabin top winch really easy.

I think a PO added the mid-ship cleats on my O'Day 322. Standard cleat, but sitting on an aluminum block to raise it about the toe rail and avoid chafe. Through-bolted through the side deck and secured with bolts and backing plate.

Greg

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
use this it works great ....and check with sbo they are good ...if out of stock they will get them for you.....how do i know i am a satisfied customer
I'm glad to hear another positive review! I should really get another one for the port side.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
The second one says it's designed for pwc's and small runabouts.

Feb 26, 2004
when I say I don't have much room this is what I mean
any thoughts on how I could install cleats on this narrow walkway
Fred, read Greg's #6 and my #5 again, please. Do you have sheet winches on the coamings in your cockpit?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
What do you guys think of these. DOCK EDGE 2430-F ANGLED RAIL CLEAT 10" ALUMINUM
Rail Cleat.png

I was thinking through bolted through the toe rail. with them angled out so that I won't stub my toes on them. I want to add two for spring lines. as my current spring cleat locations wear out my dock lines with chafing on the toe rail and station bases. as the boat moves.

Feb 26, 2004
Chip, those are made for docks. I think they would look unsightly and out of place on a boat. Kinda like sticking the Queen Mary's anchor on a Catalina 22. :)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Chip, those are made for docks. I think they would look unsightly and out of place on a boat. Kinda like sticking the Queen Mary's anchor on a Catalina 22. :)
Agreed. I was thinking I could sand to 1000, and then buff and polish them before installation to make them more presentable. Aluminum polishes up quite easily.

Last edited:

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Agreed. I was thinking I could sand to 1000, and then buff and polish them before installation to make them more presentable. Aluminum polishes up quite easily.
10" ? Oh my!

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
My Hunter 36 doesn't have midship cleats, and after a recent encounter with a dock I feel it would be a good idea to add them. How have other people done this?
Hi Actel: I am not contradicting the general recognition that midship cleats are better to have than not, but intrigued:

What type of dock "encounter" has got you thinking about the mod?