Installing a new Halyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Ok here's the deal. Last fall I removed my main halyard in order to get a new one. I used a messager line. 3 weeks ago I went done to the boat for the first time since haul-out (last fall). The wind over the winter had chafed the messager line and now half of it's in the mast:cussing:
So today up the mast with the new halyard and tried to feed it down It's in there somewhere but not at the bottom. We tried using a smaller diameter line with a nut tyed (sp) but with no luck. It would appear at the mast head that the space between the sheave and the bolts that hold it in place is very tight. I think thats why the last halyard had to be replaced because of the misrouting.

Do you think a electrician's fish tape might work?

It might be hung up on the bolts that hold the tangs in place (double spreaders). They go though the mast in 2 different places or the steaming light wiring.

Or any other ideas on how to get the new halyard down without pulling the mast?

Thanks
Don

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I understand that a short piece of small chain on the end of a small messenger line works.

On mine I used a wad of paper tied to a very light but strong nylon string. I blew it threw with an air compressor. I would try feeding it in from the bottom and blowing it to the top. When I did it on mine the mast was horizontal.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
Or any other ideas on how to get the new halyard down without pulling the mast?
I've had success in the past using a lead weight tied to some monofilament line. You can then use the monofilament to pull down whatever size messenger line you want.

Cheers,
Brad

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don: I have NOT had this issue, but as I remember one of the successful methods was to use bicycle type chain tied on to a messanger line.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don, have you gotten the messenger part out of the mast? The halyards run through a raceway in the mast.. If the messenger is still in there, it is probably blocking the raceway.

Sep 4, 2007
Claude
The messenger is still in there. I tried to pull it out from the bottom but it has snagged on something.
How wide is the raceway? I wonder if I use say a 3 oz. weight if it will pass the stuck messager line? I will be at home for a few days before attempting this again.
Do you think I can leave the broken messager in there if I get the line past? Right now the pullig the mast looks like the best option. The only thing it will cost me is my time and a couple of beers ( i wish it was only a couple ) for my helpers!

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter Legend 40.5 Rock Creek
Don,
I have been successful with the method Steve D. prescribed. In fact, I keep the chain on board in case I need it again. I fished the messenger out where the halyard exits down below
Dave

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks all;
I've found a 3 ft. bike chain that I will try next time I'm down at the boat

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My mistake, Don.. I was thinking the halyards run in a chase, it is the wiring that does.. I think the halyards are in the large section of the mast hollow.. Have ya pulled the sheaves out of the bottom carrier to get a better look at what is going on.. The messenger really should come out because at the most inopportune time, it will jam a halyard.. Ya should be able to wiggle it out??

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Don...

If you haven't done it yet, pull the pin that holds the sheaves at the bottom of the mast to give you some more room to fish out the old messenger line. Should be easy if you have the large black mast base on most '83's.

Can almost guarentee it will snag the new halyard and jam things up at the mast head as Claude pointed out--at the worst time possible!

Sep 4, 2007
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Still havn't been back to the boat that work thing keeps getting in the way! I tried to pull the pin that holds the sheaves in but it feels like the screw that holds the pin in place has a nut on the back side. When i turned it, it didn't back out and felt like i would strip the head. I guess if that happens I could drill out the rest of the screw.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Just a pin not a screw

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Still havn't been back to the boat that work thing keeps getting in the way! I tried to pull the pin that holds the sheaves in but it feels like the screw that holds the pin in place has a nut on the back side. When i turned it, it didn't back out and felt like i would strip the head. I guess if that happens I could drill out the rest of the screw.
If yours is like mine and every 34 I've seen, you just need to pull on the pin to release the sheaves. No unscrewing, no nut, just pull on it. Inserting a thin flat blade screwdriver in-between the pinhead and the outside casing where the sheaves are and prying a little bit may help get it started on its way out. Once you have a good grip on it, just pull straight. Loosen up the halyards before you do it, and watch or have someone catch the sheaves as they roll out.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Claude A...

On the '83's there is a large black casting at the mast base that holds the sheaves. The "pin" they ride on is held in place by a screw into the base casting. See the attached pix.

Don, just drill it out an tap it for a larger size retainer bolt (lightly greased!).

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Different base on 84 and later

On the '83's there is a large black casting at the mast base that holds the sheaves. The "pin" they ride on is held in place by a screw into the base casting. See the attached pix.

Don, just drill it out an tap it for a larger size retainer bolt (lightly greased!).
Thanks Dan now I'll know. I had heard about the different base, but did not realize thay had a lock for the pin head. Here a pic of my 84.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2007
Dan
I must have a late model 34 because my base looks likes Claude's (Hun # 34343M83L) If I can't get the messanger out I'll have to pull the mast, not a problem the boat's on the hard still and we have a large ground mount crane in the parking lot. Just thought I could get by without taking it down.

Attachments

Sep 4, 2007
Claude What's that inspection plate on the side of your mast for? Is that to hook-up your wiring when you take the mast down? Did you install it? or is it factory?
Thanks

Last edited:

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
You can grab hold of the bicycle chain? Have you tried a small magnet on the end of a small extention?

kebr

Jun 26, 2009
Hunter 40.5 New Buffalo, MI
I had a similar issue with the topping lift last year. I tried all of the above without any luck. Everything kept hanging up around 2/3 of the way down the mast. (probably at the lower spreader)

We ended up attaching a messenger line to the halyard and lowering the halyard and messenger line in the mast, then attaching a second messenger line to the halyard and pulled both of them up. (make sure you sew and tape the messenger lines) We then had a messenger line at the top of the mast, but on the wrong side. A friend went to the top of the mast and fished that messenger line over with a solder wire.

Good luck!

Ken

Oct 14, 2005
Don...

You must have a VERY late '83 as my hull number is 113. Evidently Hunter switched mast suppliers or design (mine's a Kenyon - #2311) late in that first year's production run.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.