Install New Winches?

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Heya!

Our 2000 H320 is a great family boat, but sometimes the sailing leaves a bit to be desired (mostly due to operator error).

I'm considering putting 2 new winches on each side of the cockpit in the area that looks designated for such installation (picture attached). Currently we have only 2 winches next to the companionway - a 30ST to starboard and 16ST to port. It's a bit of a pain with the mainsheet and outhaul requiring the starboard and I think having 2 winches set back for the jib sheets would be nice.

2 questions - 1. Any thoughts/experience. 2. Is there an aluminum plate embedded in the glass at the pictured point to support a winch?

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Heya!

Our 2000 H320 is a great family boat, but sometimes the sailing leaves a bit to be desired (mostly due to operator error).

I'm considering putting 2 new winches on each side of the cockpit in the area that looks designated for such installation (picture attached). Currently we have only 2 winches next to the companionway - a 30ST to starboard and 16ST to port. It's a bit of a pain with the mainsheet and outhaul requiring the starboard and I think having 2 winches set back for the jib sheets would be nice.

2 questions - 1. Any thoughts/experience. 2. Is there an aluminum plate embedded in the glass at the pictured point to support a winch?
I know on my 40.5, in the manual, there is a diagram of a spinnaker option that shows the placement of winches for that application. It might be worth checking that out.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Is there an aluminum plate embedded in the glass at the pictured point to support a winch?
I've got the same thing on the '99 H-310. You may be able to see an embedded plate in there if you can get a strong light under the mount by going through the overhead lighting below. Do this when it is dark outside and you will see an outline of a plate if one exists.

Another route is to drill a hole through the mount with a small bit (1/8") and check for aluminum cuttings. Fill the hole after with white gel coat if you have some from repairing spider cracks. That's if you don't find a plate and don't proceed with the install.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Wow, you have a 32 foot boat with NO sheet winches. Whoever ordered that boat new must have been super cheap. You definitely need a pair of primary winches in the cockpit near enough to the helm that you can tweak them and still have your hand on the wheel. The best deal is to keep an eye open for the West Marine/ Lewmar 2 or 1 sale. Someone here will know when the next one is. The Lewmar Ocean #40 would be a great size for your boat. WM sells it for $1499. You can find discounts at Defender, Maui etc.... if you don't want to wait, but the WM/Lewmar BOGO discount is by far the best. 5 years ago I bought 2 sets, a pair of single speed 15's for the halyards, and a pair of 30's for the primaries.
So you will have the 16 on the companionway for halyards, and the 30 for main and other uses. The you have the primaries in the cockpit for headshail sheets. Just go look at other boats.... any other boats.
You can put the winches anywhere you want. If there's imbedded plate, you can build a backing plate out of marine ply, or aluminum plate, or starboard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Found in a practical sailor review of the H320.

Standard equipment is one two-speed Lewmar 30 and one single speed self-tailing winch, both on the cabin top. These are for trimming the jib and hoisting halyards.
While this minimalist approach to sail control may reduce the number of lines in the cockpit, as well as cost, we prefer the arrangement on our test boat. The boat was equipped with Lewmar 46 self-tailers on each side of the cockpit, augmented by Schaefer turning blocks located at the base of the arch. This arrangement places the jib sheets within reach of the helm; spinnaker sheets are led from the arch to the cabintop winch.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Yes and no.

Yes, I have the same mounting points on my H280. Yes, I have added winches there.

No, there was no aluminum mount or backing plate installed in or under my mounting points. I did read in numerous articles that Hunter did install the aluminum mount or backing plate under these locations not used from the factory. This is not my experience.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Good decision. You absolutely need genoa sheet winches. I’ve never seen a boat like this without them.

Another way to determine if there is an aluminum imbed plate in the deck is to use a moisture meter. Any metal in the deck will cause a false 100% saturated reading.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I fitted 2 winches on the same location you shown. There should be backing plate within as its meant for spinnaker winches. One important point is orientation of the winch you put there. Make sure you mount with the removable component parts facing inside of cockpit (when drum removed). Mine faced outward and almost lost some parts as I remove it for servicing :( Kinda late to turn it around now as it was bedded down.

Oct 22, 2014
@Ken13559 , some winches are designed to be oriented in a specific manner. The orientation is based on the gear design.

Andersen provides a single page guide regarding this issue. (See attached pdf)

Regarding the challenge of opening and servicing the many parts and not loosing them, I have used two methods.
First: a box with tall sides on the three outward faces. Cut a hole in the bottom. Fit the box over the winch and work on it carefully.
Second: is an old sheet draped around the winch with the folds leaning inwards toward your lap. When playing with those pesky springs you might drape some of the sheet over the top of the winch as a tent to stop the parts from flying about.

Patience and practice help when addressing this annual task. That said I have from time to time had to visit the local marine store to find a replacement that has chosen to jump ship.

Good luck.

Attachments

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Great points, thanks. I think I'll recruit some close-by expert help as well as I'm a bit of a novice in this sense.

Oct 22, 2014
I'lll look you up when I adventure north and visit Ladysmith. Hopefully this fall.