Install an anchor Windlass

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Has anyone any experience or comments regarding a manual anchor windlass on a C&C 33-2. Horizontal or Vertical. Owners of the boat I'm just about
to purchase have sailed the Gulf and San Juan Islands for the past 20 yrs without one. I would prefer to use more chain thus would appreciate the windlass.
Any comments appreciated.
tks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome aboard @Dale Haz. Every installation is different depending on the shape of the anchor locker. Look through the archives on this site and you will see several different installations.

Here are a few notes I put together when I installed mine about 10 years ago.

Attachments

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Much appreciated, I'll post further soonest survey is done and I've purchased the boat.
dale

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
more chain thus would appreciate the windlass
Welcome Dale to SBO. Good luck with the boat search.
The need for a windlass is directly related to your back strength and desire to take it easy.
Three ways to puling in the chain from the depths.
  • Grab the chain and pull with your legs.
  • Run the chain over the manual windlass and then pump the windlass back and forth as 3 chain links rise from the depths with each pump.
  • Discover the wonder of an electric motored windlass.
You can successfully venture forth in the islands surrounding the Strait of Georgia with any of the above methods. I have used each of them and have reached an age when the electric motor can be appreciated for their efficiency.

I believe the manual winch is somewhere in my garage.

The question of chain is one hotly debated here on the forum. Do a search and you'll find a library of threads touting the various options and their benefits.

Good luck with your boat hunt. The C&C boats are good boats. Nice design.

Oct 22, 2014
So true Ralph. But that would mean I need a crew...:yikes:
:laugh:

May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
Good advise from all hands. I've sugested to my wife pulling up the anchor would be good exercise, she wasn't amused. I suspect her response indicates I'll have to do it.
Yes a power windlass may ultimately be the right way to go.
Regarding chain, as my sailing has been purely in the tropics I've found chain provides that layer of protection against coral whereas coral will make quick work of anything else. More research needed on local cruising conditions.
Cheers!

Oct 22, 2014
Dale. While you are correct about the tropic and coral. We have little coral in the cold waters of the PacificNW. Also very few bikini wearing boaters, which I blame on the cold water.

We do have the Fraser River and it brings gobs of glaciers silt into the waters. This has been deposited all over the vast basin that is the Strait of Georgia. There are patches with nice kelp beds. There is a lot of mud, and even some places with pebbles on the bottom. Rarely in the traditional anchorages with you find large rocks that could cut your rode. It is possible.

We do have serious tidal currents that change direction and then run. You need to sink your anchor in deep and when the tide changes direction check that the reset has happened. The right anchor set is aided by chain ( I carry 105ft) but that is mostly to have the anchor as close to the bottom as possible when the tide changes direction. Close to the bottom the anchor resets more quickly.

If your using mostly rode (line) you can accomplish the same with a Kellet. It would be a whole lot lighter to use and retrieve manually. Here are some examples. You would retrieve the kellet first up the rode, then haul up the rode and anchor.

1619993019032.png

Oct 22, 2014
Here is a satellite view of the Fraser river depositing glacier silt across the southern end of the Georgia Strait.
1619993566901.png

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Anchoring is a great way to start a war around here ....................... mine's better that yours and yours is a load of crap, whatever it is :cuss:.

Check the archives on this site for an endless supply of info on anchors, both accurate and waaaaaaaaaaay out to lunch.

For our side of the puddle and over in your neighbourhood, I've use a 33 lb. claw, 50' of 5/16" chain, and 350' of 3 strand 5/8" nylon. Nice in your neighbourhood and mandatory for north of here. Never lost hold in the Broughtons and have no idea how it managed to hold, but it did.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021
C&C 33-2 Sidney BC
A kellet was recommended by the present owner of the boat, he suggested the lead weights used by fishermen. As this was the method he
used I suspect some may be on board. The boat will be surveyed on the 11th so I'll be getting a better look at the ground tackle.
Tks
Dale