Inner shell cracks on haul out

Oct 31, 2021
Catalina 315 Lake Champlain
I just discovered after my boat was haul out a good size crack in the floor of Catalina 315.
It occurred on the fiberglass part in the aft cabin. On close inspection it seems that the tabs which attach the shell to the hull have come off in the area. The tabs seem to be only 2 inches wide and the epoxy job to the hull seems marginal. What puzzles me more is how this could happen. The hull itself must have bend quite a lot when the boat hung in the slings or was lowered onto the cradle. I did not expect the hull of a 315 being that thin and bendable. Has anyone experienced similar failures? Of course now I wonder how to repair this.

Attachments

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
An unfortunate reality of modern fiberglass production boats. A haul-out and/or blocking can do it. I just don't know what percentage chance it really is. Obviously, you're in that minority. I'm assuming you don't see any cracks in the outer hull area. If not, then this is relatively easy to re-epoxy. Check the West Systems tutorials online and other YouTube videos on similar fiberglassing and tabbing repairs.

You could try to point blame at the yard, but I assume waivers were signed and they'd deny culpability anyway. You could also attempt an insurance claim because this is accidental damage, after all. But you may not even meet your deductible for that amount. The only real difficulty is using a form to re-create the tread pattern so that the final result is as near normal as it ever was.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My C310 has stickers near the gunnels that indicate where the slings should be placed when hauling. These are the areas strengthened by bulkheads or stringers. The hull will flex a lot if the slings aren't placed properly. I have also seen significant oil canning of the hull when jack stands were not placed properly, so, yes, the hull is thin and flexible.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
My C310 has stickers near the gunnels that indicate where the slings should be placed when hauling. These are the areas strengthened by bulkheads or stringers. The hull will flex a lot if the slings aren't placed properly. I have also seen significant oil canning of the hull when jack stands were not placed properly, so, yes, the hull is thin and flexible.
Tom, could you post a picture of where those locations are? Would love to have that for future haul-outs.
Rob

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom, could you post a picture of where those locations are? Would love to have that for future haul-outs.
Rob
Rob, I have this picture showing the forward sticker. It is almost in line with the forward opening port in the cabin. I will search for another picture showing the aft sticker.
IMG_0652.jpg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Rob
This photo shows the aft sticker, but it is hard to see. It is the little dot in line with the aft end of the tinted port. You'll need to enlarge the image to see it.
Andante A.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
This photo shows the aft sticker, but it is hard to see. It is the little dot in line with the aft end of the tinted port. You'll need to enlarge the image to see it.
Thanks!!!

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
Really sad to see.

The first photo looks a lot more like an impact. Or a point load. It is locally bulged and multiple cracks radiating from the bulge.

That is not from the slings. They can't generate a localized point load.

It might be from lowering it onto the jack stands that were too high. That damage looks like the first point to touch, before the keel was on the ground. More than enough weight to push deep into the hull.

Hopefully it can be repaired quickly for next season.

I like the idea of putting lift point decals on the hull. Not sure it would have prevented this.