Inner Jib Tracks and Life Lines

Sep 23, 2021
Catalina 22 Davis Island Yacht Club
Let me start this post with sincere gratitude that so many contributors take the time and effort to post their experience in maintaining and enjoying their boats. I've been a passive benefactor of your posts for several years now.

My question today is: Can I install and use the inner jib track on a boat with life lines? Will the jib sheet and life lines conflict when the jib block is in close to the cabin?

BTW I have sail number 8290. A 1979/80 swing keel that I have been sailing and reconditioning in Southwest Florida for the past three years.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Inner tracks will do wonders for your pointing ability and there should be no conflict with lifelines, as the sail and sheets are all in board. I would assume most any Cat 22 that races would have inboard tracks.

Check

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Photo of a Catalina 22 with jib sheet track outside the lifelines. If that is an issue could install new jib track adjcent to the cabin OR eliminate the stanchion in the middle of the track.

1632437497647.png

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The Short answer:
Yes you can (and should) install inner tracks. Yes they will help the boat preform better. Yes they work on a boat with life lines. Yes they will interfere at times.

The Long answer:
Having installed inner tracks on my boat with life lines they work fantastic. I almost never use the outers anymore except for a spinnaker. The inner tracks will allow you to sheet the head sail to the spreaders (an inch or 2 off is best) and greatly improve your pointing upwind. When sailing off the wind (down wind with a pole out, or a broad reach) the line will rub on the life line. It is not a major issue and the loads do not endanger the life lines in any way. If you have plastic coated lines you may see a little coating rubbed off but its well worth it. The only downside to inner tracks is if you are using a full class legal Genoa. If its cut to the max dimensions it will be (and should be) a deck sweeper and will need to be footed over the life line station as it is sheeted in. I do this often for racing and just have the bow crew handle it. For day sailing I will just not sheet as tight or use the smaller 110 and put it on a pendant to clear the life lines. Having inner tracks and the rudder spacer are the 2 modifications every C22 should have done. They make the boat more responsive and more fun to sail. Oh and a nice newer set of sails. With those 3 things you'll enjoy the boat so much more.

See them in use at .52 sec in the following video. We were experimenting with sheeting techniques.

At 1:41 in the following video you can see the interference with the life lines when doing downwind. Its minor at best and only experienced when going mostly down wind.

Sep 23, 2021
Thanks LakeShark. Great videos. Especially the one with your son. Awesome.

That's exactly what I was wondering. I saw your post in the other forum regarding ratings and scoring procedures. I also want to sail my boat in the occasional Thursday Night Regatta at our club.

I do not want to remove the lifelines since we will primarily cruise the boat along the SW Florida coast.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Any Sea you'll love the inner tracks. As you can tell we both cruise and race our boat. We have even raced at the Catalina 22 nationals event a few years now and it is a great time. While the Life Lines are often considered a nuance to many I am in no hurry to remove mine and they seem to work fine with the inside sheeting angles. The biggest draw back in a race is footing the big headsail as you sheet it in.

Sep 23, 2021
@LakeShark from your video it looks like you left the outboard rails in place. Did you add the in-board rails to be the same type as stock? What kind of jib sheet blocks do you use. I generally look for frugal solutions as I'm pretty committed to not over improving the boat.

Sep 23, 2021
@ Lakeshark: Regarding the rudder spacer, did you need to add anything behind the lower gudgeon? I'm curious how much the 1" spacer changes the angle of the pintels relative to the stern.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@LakeShark from your video it looks like you left the outboard rails in place. Did you add the in-board rails to be the same type as stock? What kind of jib sheet blocks do you use. I generally look for frugal solutions as I'm pretty committed to not over improving the boat.

I picked up a couple lengths of new (used old stock) track and some new Old stock cars and blocks from a marine salvage store. The tracks were new harken type with black aluminum about 3 foot in length each. The cars fit the track which I believe is a standard 1 inch. The original cars and track are a 7/8 track or something odd so the cars wont work on aftermarket tracks. The whole lot of parts and hardware I believe was like $150 all in but that was a few years ago now. I would check salvage shops for the parts as its your most affordable option. Tracks are easy to cut down though I do recommend rounding the edges to save toes from the sharp corners if you can.

As for the old tracks I just left them alone. I likely wont do anything with them unless I ever decide to fork over the cash to add a cleat on a track car for a spring line but I don't see needing that any time soon.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@ Lakeshark: Regarding the rudder spacer, did you need to add anything behind the lower gudgeon? I'm curious how much the 1" spacer changes the angle of the pintels relative to the stern.

This was a tricky one. I tapered the spacer a little to better align the pintails and filled / re-drilled the lower pintail holes on the rudder to get the alignment just right. My pintails were bent and rewelded from past hard groundings so that made the problem a little worse. Most can simply use the slop in the brackets in the rudder and taper the spacer ever so slightly so they line up. Its a good long afternoon project but remember the threaded rods to hold the backing plate for the upper gudgeon. Otherwise the brass plate ay fall and you'll be drilling a hole in the cockpit to reinstall.

the spacer changes the feel of the boat entirely and really balances the helm. I waited 2 years before I committed to this project. After doing it I would never go back. Boat is faster, easier to steer, and more balanced on all points of sail.

Sep 23, 2021
Thanks @ Lakeshark for the pointers on both accounts.
I've read elsewhere that the track should be centered on where the cabin joins the deck. Do you agree?

I still have the original swing up rudder with 3/8" pintails. All the stock parts are in pretty good shape with not much slop (other than the fact that I can't get the rudder to swing up - future topic). I'll likely make two spacers to keep them in good alignment.

I appreciate the tip about the threaded rod.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I've read elsewhere that the track should be centered on where the cabin joins the deck. Do you agree?

You have the older original design so you can go with longer tracks than I did as my cocpit sides bulge out a bit. Generally though yes centered is a good place. Most of the time the car with the 150 is right about where the aft window meets the deck but with the 110 you'll want the car much further forward. I just sailed Saturday with my 110 and I put the cars as far forward as I could which seemed to work rather well in higher winds.

As for the smaller pintails you'll be fine. Mine are still the originals as well. I may upgrade if they break again but we'll see on that one.