Jib sheet tracks position

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hi guys n gals... I’m considering my deck hardware now. The tracks were originally mounted on top of the gunwales, if they can be called that, or on the raised section running around perimeter of the deck. Boat did not have lifelines/stanchions before.

Considering moving tracks to a more inboard location next to the coach roof sides.

Any comments / suggestions on this before I go drilling holes!??!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You didn't say why you want to move the track.....is it because you want to install stanchions and life lines?
I wouldn't move the existing genoa track unless it is completely necessary. I would simply install a second, "inside", track to give me more options.
You should consider how your sheets will be affected by the shrouds.... what your optimal sheeting angle is (that's the horizontal angle between a line from the leadblock to the stem and the boat's centerline)... and where lead block will be positioned for a neutral setting. You can do that by extending a line from the mid point on the luff, through the clew.. bisecting its angle.... to the deck. And, of course, leaving room forward and aft of that position to make your sail adjustments.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Mount them inside the lifelines near the cabin top. It gives you a better sheeting angle and helps you point higher. Check the tech manual for more specific locations.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
You didn't say why you want to move the track.....is it because you want to install stanchions and life lines?
I wouldn't move the existing genoa track unless it is completely necessary. I would simply install a second, "inside", track to give me more options.
You should consider how your sheets will be affected by the shrouds.... what your optimal sheeting angle is (that's the horizontal angle between a line from the leadblock to the stem and the boat's centerline)... and where lead block will be positioned for a neutral setting. You can do that by extending a line from the mid point on the luff, through the clew.. bisecting its angle.... to the deck. And, of course, leaving room forward and aft of that position to make your sail adjustments.
Hi, yes, I want to install lifelines and stanchions to make the boat more "grandchild" friendly. So I was comparing the layout of the tracks on the L26 that I sail on and wondering if other C22's have got tracks positioned more inboard.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Mount them inside the lifelines near the cabin top. It gives you a better sheeting angle and helps you point higher. Check the tech manual for more specific locations.
Hi, thanks the advice. This is what I was also thinking about the sail angles. This "tech manual" you refer to; which is it?

I was hoping other pre-'85 C22 owners could confirm if their boat were fitted with inboard tracks.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
If the boat was raced then most of the time they have installed inside tracks. Even the north sails tuning guide recommends it for better sheeting. https://northsails.com/sailing/en/resources/catalina-22-tuning-guide

The tech manual is in my opinion a must have for a C22 owner of any vintage (bomoroo 22 included). It is avaible on the Catalina 22 association website. When you join the association you can purchase the manual. I think it is 600 plus pages now of tips and has tricks for how to do everything on a C22 and trailer.

https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/technical-article-guide

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Greg...on our '84 they're installed outside of the lifelines against the toe-rail...fwiw....

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The simplest answer is the test the ideas using a barber hauler. Set up temporary rope and tackles to pull the line in the desired direction and see if you like it. In this case, the track ended up going roughly were the gree tape is, but not until I sailed with it in light and strong winds.
You may find that rigging a barberhauler is better than moving the track. You may like the outboard track location for reaching. I still use the outboard track for reaching.
Whatever you decide to do, test it first. It's cheap and it makes drilling the holes, if you go that way, much less stressful, because you know they are right..

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi, yes, I want to install lifelines and stanchions to make the boat more "grandchild" friendly. So I was comparing the layout of the tracks on the L26 that I sail on and wondering if other C22's have got tracks positioned more inboard.
It might be difficult to mount stanchions on the toe rail( in fact.... impossible!)... so there's no reason to remove the genoa track. Mount the stanchions on deck, positioning the gate pole to not interfere with the average car position and winch handle. The sheet would go forward of the gate stanchion to the lead block... if it interferes, a turning block near the rail, aft, behind the winch will route the sheet around the gate stanchion. I set my 27 up that way to accommodate my Garhauer EZ glide lead car system.

Then rig a barber hauler to experiment with different "sheeting angles" That's what changes with you move the clew sideways, in or out ..... Racing sails on particular boats will have a very small sheeting angle... say 7-10% . Cruising sails on regular boats will not respond well to the smaller angle... 12 to 15% may work better. So experiment and determine its effect... if you like it... install the inside track for the jib... fore and aft position will be determined by your headsail or your normal car position on the genoa track.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Greg...on our '84 they're installed outside of the lifelines against the toe-rail...fwiw....
@rpludwig ... thanks the picture. I note your lifelines go down to deck level at the pullpit. Do you raise the jib using the "lanyard" method some of the guys use on this forum?

greg_m

May 23, 2017
@Joe ... not going to try mount on the actual toe rail but on the deck flush up against the toe rail. The old track was actually mounted on top of the toe rail.

I do like the inboard track position as per the North Sails Catalina 22 Tuning guide mentioned above and I think the barber hauler idea is stirling!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
@thinwater ... barber hauler = awesome idea!
In this case the barberhauler is pulling the tack outwards. I pull the clew out as far as 6 feet to get a better deep reaching angle. That's a multihull thing. I also use it in a breeze, where I want to move the jib lead out just a little, even beating, but keep the jib tight and flat. Sometimes you don't want twist and often you don't want a full, baggy jib.

Many racing boats have no tracks at all, relying on low friction rings and deflectors to adjust the lead. Light, easy to adjust, and very flexible. My main point is that even a crude temporary rig really helps get track installation right the first time.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
@greg_m -- bone stock configuration to the best of my knowledge-- I run my 150 on the outboard track, and somewhere around 100% and smaller the cars move inboard for a better angle.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
@greg_m -- bone stock configuration to the best of my knowledge-- I run my 150 on the outboard track, and somewhere around 100% and smaller the cars move inboard for a better angle.
My 73 doesn’t have that inboard track. Dunno if an option or what. I don’t have the cubby holes in the cockpit either, so maybe mine is missing a few options.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
@rpludwig ... thanks the picture. I note your lifelines go down to deck level at the pullpit. Do you raise the jib using the "lanyard" method some of the guys use on this forum?
Greg...by lanyard, I assume you mean a pendant as other have mentioned using. I do plan to add one for visability forward, so presently no, but I have experienced the need for same. The lifelines going down to deck level at the pulpit certainly help from keeping the jib from hanging up. (we are not racers, simply daysailors/cruisers so all this about sheeting angle, etc., is new to me, but great info....over my head, so defer to others in that regard). What you see in the pic is stock jib car track placement on an '84, good/or not so good, but what we have, and I'm ok with it (thus far)....

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
My 73 doesn’t have that inboard track. Dunno if an option or what. I don’t have the cubby holes in the cockpit either, so maybe mine is missing a few options.
I'm having the same setup, jib track outboard on top of toe rail, no lifelines/stanchions, no cubby holes in cockpit.

Since I have solidly bonded the deck structure to the hull along the joint, I am wanting to stay away from drilling holes into that area. So I will be going with the inboard tracks as per the North Sails guide as being my best option.