Initiating DSC calls from a B&G Zeus to a Standard Horizon GX2400 via NMEA2000

Feb 3, 2009
Freedom 40/40 Rio Dulce, Guatemala
I'm specing out electronics for a new boat, and I will be using a B&G Zeus 3S for a chartplotter. I don't like B&G's VHF products, and would like to use a Standard Horizon GX2400 connected via NMEA 2000.

According to the Zeus 3S manual: "If the system includes a VHF radio supporting DSC (Digital Select Calling) calls over NMEA2000® or NMEA 0183®, a DSC call can be initiated to other vessels from the unit. The call option is available in the AIS vessel details dialog, and in the vessel status dialog."

I have spent hours searching forums to figure out if the Zeus will be able to place a DSC call via the N2K, with no definitive answers.

Is there anyone out there with a SH GX2400 and a B&G Zeus who had placed DSC calls initiated from the Zeus?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Geoff
It can be difficult to find a person with the exact same set up you desire that has used the settings you are choosing. It may happen.

In the abscense finding that Unicorn, perhaps the manufactures can help. Checking the SH site for the GX 2400 their Spec page says the unit supports NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 PGN data both In and Out bound.
The FAQ has tech responses resolving DCS call set up queries.
1718634033590.png

I have to believe they are not just printing marketing hype. If still concerned it would be reasonable to contact customer support with the DCS issue.

Looking at the ZeusS3 Install manual they claim in/out bound capabillity for both NMEA standards.
NMEA 0183®
The unit has a built in NMEA 0183® serial interface, providing both input and output. The port(s) uses the NMEA 0183® (serial balanced) standard, and can be configured in the software for different baud rates up to 38,400 baud.
Talkers and listeners
Only one talker (output device) can be connected to a serial input (RX) on the unit, in accordance with the NMEA 0183® protocol. However, an output port (TX) on the unit may be connected to up to three listener (receiver) devices, dependent on the hardware capabilities of the receiver.

NMEA 2000®
The NMEA 2000® data port allows receiving and sharing of a multitude of data from various sources.

Further, there is a software update that specifically addresses issues they had in earlier versions regarding NMEA 0183data communications.
Zeus3S Software Update (23.4)
Release Date: 17 December 2023​
Version: 23.4-68.1.29​
B&G are pleased to announce new software for the Zeus range of multifunction displays. This new release introduces new features and incorporates various improvements and fixes which were identified by our internal SQA teams and customer feedback since the last release.​
New Features
- NMEA 0183® Interface support
Allows control and configuration of the NMEA 0183® Interface from the MFD.
All this implies to me that your goal can be reached with the identified hardware. Believing in Belt and Supenders approach I would also buy my product from a merchant that offers a 100% refund policy.

Good Luck

:biggrin:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When you looked at the AIS Detail popup, did you look under the "Messages" tab? There might be a button there to initiate a call.

1718635600058.png

I used to be a fan of SH VHFs until I had one fail. It was replaced with a B&G V60 with remote mics. I'm no longer a fan of SH radios as I found the B&G much easier to use. The SH menus are confusing and too complex. The V60 has receive only AIS, calling is initiated by selecting the target from a list and initiating a DSC call on either base station or the remote mic. I would also expect the feature you want, selecting from the B&G MFD would work seamlessly. I'm a fan of staying within one ecosystem for electronics, avoids finger pointing from tech support when there is a problem.

Edit: I see you also posted on CF, you might ask your question on the B&G Facebook group.