iNavX and CHS Charts

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Hello. This is primarily for Canadian sailors.

I have been on hiatus from sailing for the last few years but just recently returned to the water. Now that I'm sailing again I'm downloading all my old apps including, most importantly my navigation app iNavX. I have reinstalled the app but there is no longer any mention of the official Canadian Hydrographic Service charts (CHS) being available. These are the official charts (equivalent to NOAA in the US) AND are by far the most accurate. Can anyone tell me whether iNavX has discontinued support for the CHS charts? I see they now use Navionics charts but I'd prefer to use the official ones if I can.

Any help is appreciated...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you checked with their Tech support? I have found them to be helpful in the past.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for but I’ve been using iNavX for several years. The charts were navionics and were obtained through Fugawi. Canadian charts were a separate package to purchase until maybe a year or so ago. Then they came bundled with US subscription. Then earlier this year Fugawi announced that they were no longer going to provide nautical charts.

Now you can get them right from the app store on your apple device. The US and Canadian charts are available in one subscription price.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I just checked my copy iNavX. The NOAA charts are a available for free. There is a store page with several other chart options, included a US/Canadian Navionics package for $80.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Thanks folks. I'm trying to avoid buying the Navionics charts because in my experience they are sorely lacking in accuracy and detail compared to the official CHS charts, which are the digital version of the paper charts. NOAA does not publish charts for Canada.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@YVRguy
It is a problem. iNavX no longer has Canadian HS Charts that work with their software. They did at one time (downloadable from DVD), but now they state that their software (currently) is not compatiable with the format used by CHS.

It is a challenge. I recently went through the process of buying the CHS charts (2 year subscription) only to learn that they are incompatible.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
@YVRguy
It is a problem. iNavX no longer has Canadian HS Charts that work with their software. They did at one time (downloadable from DVD), but now they state that their software (currently) is not compatiable with the format used by CHS.

It is a challenge. I recently went through the process of buying the CHS charts (2 year subscription) only to learn that they are incompatible.
Thanks. At least I know I'm not crazy.

I noticed on the CHS website it shows a bunch of dealers who supposedly sell the digital version of their charts. I'm going to call a couple and see what I can find out. Would be sad to think that the #1 marine navigation app can't use official Canadian charts.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Have you checked with their Tech support? I have found them to be helpful in the past.
Just got a response:

"Thanks for reaching out!
We are currently working on agreements with CHS and other chart publishers to sell their charts. As soon as this agreement is finalized they will be added to our inventory of charts.

iNavX Support"

Jan 11, 2014
Just got a response:

"Thanks for reaching out!
We are currently working on agreements with CHS and other chart publishers to sell their charts. As soon as this agreement is finalized they will be added to our inventory of charts.

iNavX Support"
Thanks for the info. The same company makes MacENC for a computer. I first purchased the program about 17 years ago when it first came out. Have never had to pay for another update. This is a good company to do business with.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Coming back to this thread with good (if not old) news. As of September, Canadian (CHS) charts are now available in the InavX chart store within the app itself. The purchase & installation process is much easier now that it's all integrated in the app rather than linked to Fugawi like before.

On another note I was sad to see they discontinued the Mac version of the app (GPSNavX) in order to focus on the iOS version. I used to use my MacBook to plot routes and then transfer to my phone. Answer: I bought one of the basic 10" iPads for plotting at home.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So, I’m kinda confused...I use the Navionics 913P chart to go from Olympia Wa to just north of Vancouver Is. Haven’t had any issues...Also have the chart on an ipad as backup which I have had to use. No problems..what is wrong with using these charts?

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Thanks folks. I'm trying to avoid buying the Navionics charts because in my experience they are sorely lacking in accuracy and detail compared to the official CHS charts, which are the digital version of the paper charts. NOAA does not publish charts for Canada.
Way late with this, but I use INavx also. Had Navionics and INavx botth when I was cruising the Bahamas. Gave up on Navionics after it showed me on the wrong Island the third time Never a problem with INavx

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
So, I’m kinda confused...I use the Navionics 913P chart to go from Olympia Wa to just north of Vancouver Is. Haven’t had any issues...Also have the chart on an ipad as backup which I have had to use. No problems..what is wrong with using these charts?
Mark, the CHS charts are the "official" charts issued by the Canadian govt. So I guess that makes them equivalent to the NOAA charts in the USA. They are more detailed than the Navionics charts and are required by law to be carried by commercial shipping. I feel more comfortable using them than Navionics but they aren't cheap. For the circumnavigation you need the series for Vancouver Island East as well as Vancouver Island West. That's 2 x $150.00 = $300

If you have used Navionics for your previous trips that obviously says something. I'm possibly being overly cautious. My boat partner has always used Navionics. So in summary it guess it just depends on how much detail you want.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I used the Mac version of GPSNavX for trip planning. It used the same raster version of the NOAA and CHS charts, so the look was the same as what I would see on a paper chart. I have hundreds of waypoints created so that I can just build a route by picking from them as needed. I didn't even know that there had been a time when these were not available... only found out about it when I tried to start it up one day and got a message that it wouldn't work. I now use the iPad version (iNavX) and was able to transfer all of my existing waypoints to the new version and hardware.

I'm currently using iNavX on an iPad, and a one year subscription to the Canadian charts to plan next summers cruise. I also have a Canadian booklet and a number of full size charts.

After an eye opening experience between Canoe Cove and Tsehum Harbour, where I began the process of learning just how bad my standard chart plotter charts were :yikes: I also now have a Navionics chart card to use while under way.

I have used the Navionics app to estimate distances. I like the quick route plan that it creates, just to have an idea as to how far it is between destinations.

BUT... I definitely prefer to zoom in on a chart and place specific waypoints which mimic the actual route that we are taking, so that I am at least vaguely aware of what I will encounter along my route before I get there.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
John, is it being said that these are better than Navionics? Will play on any plotter?

Oct 22, 2014
Not sure about better than Navionics, but Canadian approved. I have installed on my laptop. Just need the proper file for your system. The Nautical Store is nothing more than a book store selling digital content for the Canadian Hydrographic Service.
Here is a link to the info about compatibility.
Works on OpenCPN.
I got excited when it said it worked on the MAC version of iNavX. Then iNavX canceled their Mac software. But there maybe hope. The new version of MAC OS has given developers a way of exporting their IOS apps to MAC. Time will tell if this is a future or vaporware.

Oct 22, 2014
I am still using the Canadian maps provided by RosePoint on Coastal Explorer. And a large chart, a gracious gift from Michale Davis to help plan the 2020 trip around Vancouver Isle.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
John, is it being said that these are better than Navionics? Will play on any plotter?
I know this wasn't directed at me but I can say with certainty they are better than Navionics if you are thinking of accuracy and detail. CHS charts are required in paper form for all boat traffic in Canada and are the only ones used by commercial shipping. The case for Navionics charts is more around usability. For example, Navionics will automatically select the appropriate chart as you zoom in to a particular location. The CHS charts must be manually switched as you move or zoom. Also, Navionics charts show more points of interest for recreational boaters.

I use both charts for their relative strengths but for certain I would never navigate around a reef or other hazardous areas without the CHS charts.