In today's episode of "I'm new and I have no idea"...

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
Hi guys,

Where can I get a boom vang thingy (the metal bit with the spring in it)?
Being a complete idiot when I bought the boat, I picked up a boom vang, looked at it and went "what on earth is this for? I better throw it out before it has someone's eye out".

I checked spare parts with beneteau, but they don't seem to have any.

Thanks again guys - I'm a total silly bum and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hannah

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If you’re looking for a gas vang, polish up your plastic and have a look on the garhauer website.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Most likely your mast is from US Spars. If it looked like the attached https://www.usspars.com/products/vangs/ you're going to wish you hadn't. Price is from $250-$516, small to large,
If you have the boat manual it should indicate the mast mfg.
Good luck

Added: It looks like you have a Zspar-400E mast as per the 323 manual.
US Spars is part of group Z-Spar of France

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
You don't have to have a spring vang, but it's nice. Otherwise you have a wire that goes from the top of the mast to the back of the boom called a topping lift. That holds the boom up. Then you have a set of pulleys that go where the vang goes. This controls the boom, but it does not support it. The spring vang or "pogo stick" (!) does both. Garhauer is a manufacturer of quality sailboat hardware.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
BTW, having had 10 or more boats, my policy is to never throw anything out that I don't know what it is for at least 3 years, at which point I am usually ready for a new boat!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My Beneteau is fitted with a US Spars spring vang, this is the US subsidiary of Z Spar France.
https://www.usspars.com/products/vangs/

Beneteau US should be able to tell you what your OEM was based on your HIN, alternatively you can inspect your boom, if you have a Z Spar boom, you would have a Z Spar / US Spars vang. Suggest you stay OEM unless you want to pay a rigger to place all new attachements.

Apr 6, 2009
2 25 lewes de
While we’re on the topic, is there any convincing reason to change from traditional rope vang to one of the spring vangs
Beneteau 310 1992
Thanks

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
While we’re on the topic, is there any convincing reason to change from traditional rope vang to one of the spring vangs
Beneteau 310 1992
Thanks
I swapped mine out on my 310 for a Selden Rodkicker. Main reason was to have it support the boom, eliminate the topping lift and give me better control when applying the vang. OEM Rope and block setup was pretty difficult to apply.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If you’re looking for a gas vang, polish up your plastic and have a look on the garhauer website.
Garhauer doesn't make a gas vang, as far as I know. They use springs. (I've owned two, and have a spare that I am interested in selling.)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Garhauer doesn't make a gas vang, as far as I know. They use springs. (I've owned two, and have a spare that I am interested in selling.)
what size and length range on the vang jviss, PM me.
to the OP, you can also use a soft vang: a couple of blocks, one with cam cleat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
BTW, having had 10 or more boats, my policy is to never throw anything out that I don't know what it is for at least 3 years, at which point I am usually ready for a new boat!
That's why I have so much sailboat stuff laying around. My "policy period" is more like 10 yr.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
Hi guys, just wanted to update you on this. I managed to find a replacement on usspars.com
They've recently updated their website so that you can order directly from them online now, and I managed to find the vang for my b323 (sku#1978), which comes to $346. Very pleased and looking forward to this being delivered.

Last edited: