In the Future of Cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
If your boat is documented doesn't that already give the feds the right to sieze your boat in times of war if it's needed?

So if that's still true, good luck telling them no consento to inspectiono, it'll go over like a fart in church.

It sucks, the whole country is going to hell, but I feel much safer now:)

Apr 29, 2011
Finnsailer 38 Massachusetts
I'm not sure the situation is worse today than it was back in the '80s and early '90s when the CG was very active in intercepting drugs, which were coming in through the Bahamas and also all along the East Coast in small boats. We were boarded and inspected five different times by the CG back then, and they had no computer database of any of this so one boarding didn't prevent one happening very soon after. I think we had three in about nine months as we sailed along the coast. One time they were offshore of Beaufort, NC sitting out there in the dark and they came aboard armed to the teeth, with a small boat circling us with machine guns pointed at us and the 50 cal. on the bow of the cutter also aimed right at us. I was happy nobody slipped. In those days standard protocol was to come aboard with guns drawn and pointing at you until they determined the situation. We were also boarded offshore, 400 miles from land. They were all over the place down in the Bahamas, and frequently you would hear and see the helicopters swooping low checking you out. About five or six years ago I was boarded and inspected by the Colombian Navy and the Mexican Navy too, so it is just part of cruising if you frequent waters where drugs are around, I'm sorry to say. I have to add that I think that as long as you have your papers in order and you are doing everything above board you will have no problems, and they generally do a very good job of not delaying you excessively. The CG has always been very professional about it. On the other hand, some of the local law enforcement officers are not well informed about their own laws or how to do this properly.

Apr 12, 2009
Hunter 1996 hunter 40.5 Green Cove Springs FL
If your boat is documented doesn't that already give the feds the right to sieze your boat in times of war if it's needed?

So if that's still true, good luck telling them no consento to inspectiono, it'll go over like a fart in church.

It sucks, the whole country is going to hell, but I feel much safer now:)
I travel the intercoastal waterway from northern Fla to Lake Worth to get in position for crossing the stream to the Bahamas and back. Before I untie at the dock after the splash in January each year I have to get a Cruising Licence-albeit free in order to have an identity. Every time I leave the dock or anchorage I have to phone the USCG to tell them my new stopping point,anchorage or marina. This is every time I move. Once the CG has my vessel same (Can Registery) they know who I am but have to go thru the Q&A right from the bottom. Seems like they play stupid or something to get all the info out of me. I have to give passport nbrs and registry nbr and I don't mind doing that but every day? Gimmee a break. They know who I am from the git-go so why every time I drop the hook. The guys in orange jump suits have laptops with them-they can identify my boat and crew just by searching the name so what's with the every day crap? At least I now own a US cell phone for the express puerpose of calling these people. Every request for a cruising licence is an experience as there is no co-ordinated system. Every office has a different take on what is reuired. Jacksonville won't issue a cruising licence. They issue a "permit to proceed". Then when you reach a major port you do a face to face, pay $26.00 and get another. Ticks me off when our soldiers are shoulder to shoulder with theirs for the last 10 years.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
WTF would you have to report every day for? That makes no sense.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's VERBOTEN to make sense.

I really feel bad for our Canadian brethren who are treated more like criminals than allies.

Stupid, stupid, stupid on the part of our government.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
That makes no sense.
It's worse than that.

I used to think the Canadians were lucky because they could cruise in Cuba. Then I learned what that repressive government puts them through and decided that I would never go through that just to cruise there.

Then I learned that the worst part of such a cruise, from that standpoint, is from Eastport to Key West.

Back during the opening of the war on citizen...., I mean, drugs, in the 70's when it seemed like the Coast Guard was boarding everybody, the boardings were most heavily concentrated around places like Marblehead, Newport, and Boothbay Harbor. The drugs were going into remote coves far from the yachting centers. Why weren't the boardings focused on the areas where the drugs were? Because the real objective was to get the word out to influential people that something was being done about an insolvable problem.

Not much has changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.