In my hast to get underway...

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I will admit, Im a new sailing zelot...Im a noob, a newbie. I bought my S2 with my heart on my sleeve, after signing the owner the check and kicking him off my boat I feel deeply in love. Despite doing intensive research for nearly a year, day in and day out, I over looked 1 0f six major big deals.

So, after sailing till 3am Friday night I berthed her in her slip, plugged in and fired up my new portable AC unit and after stuffing the missing washboard where exhaust vented with various objects, dirty jeans, a childs life jacket and pipe insulation...I crashed for the night. In the morning I opened the starboard locker, where the center chain plate bulk head is, to get my bottle of Old Spice and there it was.....a rotting bulk head. I staggered back in horror!

I read here where some dude cut his out and replaced it. old as dirt post. All up inside the cabinetry I was wondering...can that be cut out and fixed, new wood fiber glassed in? Remove the cabinets, can that be done...would i need to?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The need and extent of structural repairs, particularly when it involves major stress areas, isn't something properly assessed on the internet, with no pictures and without a thorough description by people who cant see it. Neither is determining if someone else you read about did it properly or even if his repair is equivalent to that which you might be facing just because it's the same boat.
Anything CAN be done.
Time to take a responsible approach to what could be a dangerous problem.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
The need and extent of structural repairs, particularly when it involves major stress areas, isn't something properly assessed on the internet, with no pictures and without a thorough description by people who cant see it. Neither is determining if someone else you read about did it properly or even if his repair is equivalent to that which you might be facing just because it's the same boat.
Anything CAN be done.
Time to take a responsible approach to what could be a dangerous problem.
Thanks Don
You deliver a compelling argument even though you lean heavily on an ad athoratum falicy in your premise..the appeal to authority. It is fiberglass and with proper observation of how it was made I believe I can duplicate it.......I've been a commercial diver for years, we mitigate dangers every day.....having said that, its not beyond my means to have this work done and at the very least....assessed professionaly

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sorry to hear.. some pictures, please. Not enough of us familiar with that S-2; typically something like that, would probably removable and not tabbed in with glass.. The surrounding cabinetry is probably fairly easy to get out too.. That bulkhead bears some examining .. depending on the extent of the rot, you may be able to put in some doubler plates temporarily to take the chain plate load..
kind of typical to have a leaking deck joint at a chainplate that would do that.. you've already examined the port side and found that one OK..?
EDIT: after looking at the interior pictures of a typical S2 9.2a, it looks like the small bulkhead to which the chainplate is attached is glassed in.. again, doubler plates bolted to a good part of the bulkhead and supporting the chainplate load would (might?) let ya sail while pondering the ultimate repair.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Its just this one.....Ill take some pictures. I watched a bulkhead installation and another repair on youtube where they in the former roughed up hull and glasses in fabric around a cut to shape wood of sorts. The latter was a chain plate bulk head on a sailboat...the dremmeled and cutting wheeled off old bulk head along hull and sanded smooth the area and glasses in new wood etc.....encapsulating bulk head on hull again......I'm sure someone here has tackled it before....ill get pictures

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Pics are the only way anyone can help, many have done glass work and can give advice on their best way to tackle it, not many have down glass work on that particular structure on that particular boat to give directive with a few questions.

Excited to see what you come up with to tackle.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Replacing a rotted bulkhead is probably not that bad. Just work. Just a matter of disassembling and then re assembling. Make sure you get good quality marine plywood and also make sure to chase down any leaks that may have caused it.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Ok.....she has a trashy past....do I still love her.....He'll Ya I Do

Alas......I have commissioned bulk head replacement on 2 compromised bulk heads. They came highly recommended and $600 estimate was very reasonable....of course Ill be hovering over them
20180703_133556.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wondering why you say it has rotted..Did you remove that fascia board and pull the material down? From what I’m seeing, I would look at this very closely..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Wondering why you say it has rotted..Did you remove that fascia board and pull the material down? From what I’m seeing, I would look at this very closely..
Yeah, kinda hard to see much in that photo. Looks like the exposed wood is discolored at the bottom ( signaling some sort of moisture issues), but hard to tell the extent looking at whatever that covering is.

Greg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Looks like a competent surveyor would have pointed that out. The ones I know take oodles of digital pix and hand over a flash drive to illustrate their findings.
If you bought without a survey, oh my. That's a pretty large boat. Insurance company will likely want a survey anyway, and the marina may want proof of insurance... and there you are. :(
Sounds like you will soon add some frp repair skills to your resume!
Good luck!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Would be intwresting to see a pic without the fascia board. What is that corroded looking thing in upper left? What is the black hose? The white ribbd hose goes up behing the fascia? Quite different then the 36..

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
It should be close to the 36....port side upper shroud Bulk head....should be next to head. Blk hose is hold clean out and white is heater distribution hosee

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If it's like most S2 I've seen. The chainplate is attached to a triangle of wood that is glassed to the deck and the side of the boat not the bulkhead separating the cabins. Were the backing plate and nuts visible after you removed the teak trim board? If so peel back the cloth and you will see where the wood is tabbed to the hull. These are much easier for someone familiar with fiberglass work to repair than a full bulkhead replacement. You would just need to figure out the glassing schedule and go to it. Our boat is like this and there are no full bulkheads anywhere near the chainplates. The designer, Authur Edmonds, used this method on many of the boats he designed. The big square plate to the left in the picture is a stanchion backing plate and you might check all of these for leaks. Welcome to your project.;)

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Thanks Lee and Rick.
We will commence repairs next week. Having never fiberglasses before I have a contractor helping me. Seeing as the hull and deck area next to the bulk heads is the same shape I took some cardboard and balsa wood strips and made an exact template and cut my marine plywood to fit. It is snug. I have buytal tape on hand and I think everything is project ready for next week... I'm excited

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
of course Ill be hovering over them
Do both you and your contractor a favor and don't hover too much. It only elevates anxiety on both sides.

If you're pulling ribs, make sure there is lots of extra support on the ways. Don't let the hull deform because a bulkhead or two are out. Getting the new one in will be a... well, you know what I mean.

- Will (Dragonfly)