In mast 'piece of crap' furling system

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have tried everything suggestion in forums except to buy a new sail which I hesitate to do unless I am a guaranteed that it would solve the unfurling problems. Quite frankly, I think the design is crap and I am thinking that the only solution is to sell the GD boat and buy a power boat because that is to which this system reduces me. I am sick of sailing with a 1/4 main and jib. Is there anyone out there that has successfully stopped the main from binding when unfurling? It normally takes two or three hours to get the main out of the mast. I am personally challenging the designer of this crap system or someone from Hunter to provide a solution. Go ahead prove me wrong! Major problem is that the sail binds trying to get it out of the mast. I usually unfurl the main by hand pulling on the sail. Yes, we keep tension on the outhaul when furling and do so very slowly. Yes, I have tried, in desperation, spraying the sail with WD40 as a suggestion from the forum. Yes, I have experimented with different boom angles. Yes, I have taken all bend out of the mast. Yes, I keep tension on the furling line when applying tension to the outhaul.
Second, the furling jumps or misses the groves on the furling post.
I had just minor problem unfurling until I had the boat re-rigged supposedly to Hunter specs. I have had nothing but problems ever since. It is total BS to have to go up the mast and push the bulge back into the track then pull out another wrap and repeat. Tonight, I am crossing the Sea of Cortez likely under diesel power because a 1/4 main just won't do. Please help save a polite, mild mannered Canadian from creating random acts of power boating!
You are obviously frustrated and fed up with that #$*)’jxzet boat.

My offer is to trade you for my O’Day 322, with a new North Sail fully battened main sail, with Tides Marine Strong track…and a Mack Pack…so trouble raising, lowering or storing the main.

She also has a brand new 135 Genoa from North…hasn’t been bent on yet…still fresh in the bag (but I am itching to get my boat in the water!).

My gift to you, as a fellow sailor. I just can’t stand to see someone so unhappy.

Let me know :waycool:

Greg

PS…I hope you get it figured out…I really do hate to see a fellow sailor so frustrated.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I struggled with mine for a couple of years doing all the suggested adjustments. Recut my sail then bought a new sail (really was needed any way) and in the end my top swivel was bad. During the whole process I was told several times that the top swivel never goes bad so I ignored it. I changed it out last year when I couldn't think of anything else and everything has been great ever since.

Just a thought on one more place to look.

Last edited:

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
you will know by the shape of your sail if that is the issue, if it's too full you might have to at least have it recut.

• Helpful