In mast furling?

Oct 2, 2012
Fountain Pajot Bahia 46 128 Abroad
Starboard tack is what seems appropriate but if you have vertical battens with the pockets on the port side, a slight port tack (30 degrees or less) might be a better option. A sailmaker who looked at my setup suggested this and it is working well for me.
Related to this topic, I am interested to hear how people are managing furling the sail in. On my 45CC it requires tension not only on the outhaul but tension on the free side of the continuous furling line. It's a choreographed process with my wife and I. She maintains tension on the outhaul while at the helm. I wrap the furl in side on an electric winch, keep tension on the free side of the continuous loop, press the winch button, look up at the sail to make sure all is coming in correctly, look at the furling winch to make sure the line is not slipping on it. All while standing a couple of steps down the companionway steps so I can see the sail.
If you have the Selden system with continuous loop, how do you do it?
I have a solution to Selden In Mast furling line drive issues and furling problems.
The plastic line drive and continuous line is replaced with a SS drum and Dyneema core furling line.
The SS drum has been in use for 2 years on a full time cruising 46 foot catamaran and a 40 foot cruising monohull.
A knowledgeable owner or rigger will be able to install the SS drum and service the furling system.
The furling plastic line drive system, continuous loop furling line, and locking system is removed from the furling casting below the boom. The new SS drum is bolted on and you can service the furling system.
The install requires a cheek block installed inside the aft end of the boom to create the length of furling line needed to furl the sail.
The removal, install, and service can be done in about 4 to 6 hours.
This is not a Selden approved part.
If you are interested, let me know the boat type, year, and a photo from above the boom to the mast base.
I am a retired self employed sailmaker for over 45 years and Selden Mast approved distributor/installer since 1983. Currently cruising in Turkey......
2E361A1E-C34B-427B-93C0-97A950C7AA36.jpeg

Jul 3, 2018
Hunter 386 Comox
Our mainsail does not furl well on the Selden but it's quite old. Planning new sails for 2023. Hunter 386 2002. We have a UK sails loft in Victoria but I'll probably ask for a quote from North also. If anyone has advice about sail replacement please post back. (Vessel used for in shore cruising in BC, Desolation Sound and Gulf Islands)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Tri radial cruising laminate vs. Cross cut dacron main sail furls tighter and without wrinkles. Purchase an off shore build sail or durability. That is what I have. I have full specs if you want.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I had a lot of problems with my old baggy main jamming going in and (mostly) out

When I did the preventative maintenance on the furling gear (looked like it had never been done) I found the furler was a little loose. I added 3 turns to increase the tension (see youtube vids) and it made a big improvement.