I’m new to this forum

Jul 26, 2020
Halmatic Alden Mistral Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club
Hi I bought an Alden mistral a year ago not sure what number to call her? Any info on this name plate would be appreciated.

- ive just finished replacing the chain plates - cut the hull, dug the backing bars out, reglassed the chain plate knees from the outside then filled faired and reglassed hull, fair again, gelcoat 2 layers and then paint. Finally bolt on the new chain plates with buytl chaulk. Used 2 1/4 x ⅜ x 26 inch long 316 stainless. 4 x 1/2 carriage bolts

I replaced the bow fitting as well - the old one was hanging on by a thread. Again 4 x ½ inch Carriage bolts for the bow strap to replace the three 1/4 inch screws. The new bow fitting allows for the newer styles of anchor which tend have a fair bit of hook to them

Attachments

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
Let me be the first to say ..welcome!
look forward to seeing more photos of you bringing it back to seaworthy.......Is it just me, or did Mr Alden design a bunch of FINE looking boats???

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Welcome! It's hard to say on the Alden design #. There were just 11 or 12 Mistrals built. You obviously can't find an Alden builders plate that would give the # placement of the boat, year.

What about past names and any of the boats history, where you are now, etc?

What does DEBORINE Hull mean?

Nice work!

Jul 26, 2020
She was hiding behind a fence on a steep hill - Plan is to launch her next week - monday i hope! - get her underneath me and see how she feels before i get going on some of the more expensive purchases needed to fit her out for cruising the north east coast of Newfoundland and Labrador - ive got a diesel heater all picked out!

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
You've probably seen the video but Gregg Marston and family sailed his Alden Mistral to all around victory in the Marion to Bermuda race in 2016. TI was Greggs fathers boat for decades. Gregg has taken great care of TI and made upgrades and repairs over the years.

The video was shot by one of his sons and gives a good sense of how the boat sails. Conditions were brisk. TI won her class and the overall corrected.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
seaworthy.......Is it just me, or did Mr Alden design a bunch of FINE looking boats???
Nope, not just you.

Welcome to our amazing collection of sailors. Besides your fantastic acquisition of your Alden Mistral, you have really stepped in it and are smelling like roses, by joining us here.

I'm not an Alden owner, but I can't help but gawk at them where ever I see them. Mostly, that's here.

Love the pictures, Jon is right, we love pictures.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Alden Challenger Yawl 38 Falmouth area soon Portsmouth
Welcome! It's hard to say on the Alden design #. There were just 11 or 12 Mistrals built. You obviously can't find an Alden builders plate that would give the # placement of the boat, year.

What about past names and any of the boats history, where you are now, etc?

What does DEBORINE Hull mean?

Nice work!
Hi Tom and the gentleman who was asking about the ALDEN build number for the 11 Mistral's built. I have an Excel spreadsheet of all - or most of all Alden vessels built (orig from the Alden owners forum which I don't think exists anymore? Tom/'Christmas' Alden Challenger owner will know more about this I believe. Anyhow - from my list 11 Mistral's were built as thought - build number 981 from 981A to 981L ('I' letter was missed out for clarity presumably) - so that makes 11. To make sure I've found the correct build number - I'm attaching a list of some of the details for the Mistral class. Maybe someone else has already found the number but I thought I'd mention it in case not! Best wishes - Jon (Alden Challenger 38 Yawl - ex PRION, ex MOHAWK, now PRION again!) Sadly, I'm having to sell her now - she's ashore near Emsworth/Portsmouth Hampshire, UK.

Additional note: My DEBORINE, Halmatic Hull number is 1049 in laid down in 1960, finished at A Le Comte, Jutphaas, Holland (NL) in 1961 afaik. Does the enquiring gent have a name of his Mistral?

981​
36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassMistral ClassHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
8​
1964-66YesYesYes
981​
36'426'010'64'9
14000​
YawlFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassMistral ClassHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
3​
1964-66YesYesYes
981A36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassCortshipB. B. Snyder Jr. Santa Cruz, CAHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1964​
YesSun Chaser
"Windvogel"
981BX36'426'010'64'9
14000​
YawlFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassSerendipityJohn P. Howland, New York, NYHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1964​
YesAntarqui
"Perigee"
981C36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassGalliardWalter B. McKinney, W. Hartford, CTHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1965​
YesMakai
"Perelandra"
981D36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassJolieJohn H. Bushfield, Rochester, NYHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1965​
Yes
981EX36'426'010'64'9
14000​
YawlFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassSiroccoTimothy Howe, New York, NYHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1965​
YesDebonair
"Saki"
981F36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassSonsieR. J. McDougall, London, EnglandHalmatic Ltd.& A. H. Moody & Son, UK
1​
1966​
Yes
981G36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassTiHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, EnglandHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1965​
YesTi
981H36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassVedra KJ. R. Kay, Durham, EnglandHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1966​
YesTrue North
981J36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassOleander of BoshamP. Boissevaine, Epsom, Surrey, UKHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1966​
YesOleander of Bosham
981K36'426'010'64'9
14000​
Sloop/CutterFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassMiss DemenaDr. A. M. Micallef, Essex, UKHalmatic Ltd., Portsmouth, UK
1​
1966​
Yes
981L36'426'010'64'9
14000​
YawlFull KeelAfter CockpitFiberglassMeltemiCharles S. Arms, Cleveland, OHHalmatic Ltd.& Poul Molich, Denmark
1​
1966​
Yes

Jul 26, 2020
Good morning - some digging done by the previous owner has turned up the idea that this Mistral is 981H

I had a bit of misfortune with the roller furling gear on this boat - profurl LC 32 - all went well putting the jib up - at least that’s how things appeared at the time - winds were calm - however two days later - with the local airport recording 25 kts gusting to 41 kts - the jib broke loose - the jib halyard - main halyard and forestay became entangled - braided together really - up at the mast head. The furling line was still secured - the 6mm shackle at the tack had sheared off. This meant that lowering the jib was not possible without climbing the mast. With the wind dead astern and the boat tied up in her slip at the yacht club, the jib, now fully out, tried to drive the boat, bow first, under the dock. Five men struggled for an hour in the driving wind and rain and finally got a rope wrapped around the sail. The lesson - always keep a spare ”halyard” up the mast. The repair bill includes an new forestay - new main halyard - new jib halyard and a hard look at the roller furling gear which is bent at the bottom and the upper pivot is seized. As our season is coming to an end here I’m going to wait until haul out, when the mast is unstepped - to repair things.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
High wind is fairly common here in DooDah. The learned members here all lash another rope or strap around the furled headsail so it doesn't come out and get shredded. One member learned this the expensive way earlier this season. Many of us tie up our mainsail covers also so they don't pull off and expose the main to damaging winds. It has happened other times during my membership here. Storms mostly but never assume.

Jul 8, 2016
I had a bit of misfortune with the roller furling gear on this boat - profurl LC 32 - all went well putting the jib up - at least that’s how things appeared at the time - winds were calm - however two days later - with the local airport recording 25 kts gusting to 41 kts - the jib broke loose - the jib halyard - main halyard and forestay became entangled - braided together really - up at the mast head. The furling line was still secured - the 6mm shackle at the tack had sheared off. This meant that lowering the jib was not possible without climbing the mast. With the wind dead astern and the boat tied up in her slip at the yacht club, the jib, now fully out, tried to drive the boat, bow first, under the dock. Five men struggled for an hour in the driving wind and rain and finally got a rope wrapped around the sail. The lesson - always keep a spare ”halyard” up the mast. The repair bill includes an new forestay - new main halyard - new jib halyard and a hard look at the roller furling gear which is bent at the bottom and the upper pivot is seized. As our season is coming to an end here I’m going to wait until haul out, when the mast is unstepped - to repair things.
Ouch.

So sorry to hear about that, Fineline. Definitely not how you want to end the season. Hopefully, after this ordeal the sea gremlins will leave your boat alone for awhile.

Adam

Dec 18, 2020
John Alden Mistral Mistral Cork, Ireland
Hi all, My gran-uncle (Mr Flor Long of the Ocean Cruising Club) has owned MISS DEMENA , Alden Mistral 981K for the last 40 years. She is based here in Cork Southern Ireland. She has been extensively cruised in the last 20 years to the Azores, up the Baltic, visiting many countries as far as Estonia, Cruised Scotland, Northern France and the North West coat of Spain. Picture included is her racing at the invited classic Regatta das Illas Atlanticas, Galicia, Spain, in August 2018-where she won her class. This year we hope to carry out some local sailing in Southern Ireland.

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
we are desperate for more beautiful pictures like that. thanks for sharing

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
She is based here in Cork Southern Ireland.
Many years ago, I sailed into Cork aboard my father's Shannon 50. We docked for over a month at the World's oldest yacht club in Crosshaven, just across the bay. What a beatiful place. We even saw a leprechaun while taking the bus into Cork.

MISS DEMENA is a real looker and obviously a "goer" too.

-Will (Dragonfly)