I'm considering buying a NewPort 30

Apr 3, 2013
MacGregor V2-22 Trailered
I sailed a lot when I was younger. Haven't sailed much since the 90s. But my wife and I want to spend a couple years sailing the Caribbean. We've saved up about $20k for a boat and we talked to a real estate agent yesterday about putting our house on the market.

Anyway, it's a 1982 Newport. The gentleman we would buy the boat from bought it almost 4 months ago. Then covid happened, shelter in place, lost his job and needs to sell it. He showed me the bill of sale and her bought it for $6I more then he's asking because he just doesn't want to deal with it. He got a survey when he bought it and it looks good. He also got a separate engine inspection and the mechanic found a pin hole leak on the heat exchanger but said, other than that, the engine is in great shape.

I'm wondering if this would be a good boat to sail down the coast of California, across Panama and around the Caribbean.

I should also note that my wife and I have already signed up for the first 3 ASA classes and we're just waiting for the place to reopen after covid.

Also, is there anything we should look at, specific to newports?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well not sure if there is a specific question. Newport’s are a good boat. If you and your wife can get along in 300-400 sq ft then you have the makings of a great adventure.

Selling everything, buying a boat, and going out on the open sea sounds like a terrific beginning to adventure. There is a lot to consider. Not the least is how are you going to navigate through the Panama Canal.

Another possibility is to participate in a Caribbean charter to get a feel of cruising.

Good luck.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I've heard the Canal is closed to pleasure craft right now. Of course, you won't be there very soon but it's something to keep focused on. Find out if the rigging is older than 10 years. That's something I'd be concerned about in terms of going offshore. A pinhole in the exhaust is an easy fix.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I sailed a lot when I was younger. Haven't sailed much since the 90s. But my wife and I want to spend a couple years sailing the Caribbean. We've saved up about $20k for a boat and we talked to a real estate agent yesterday about putting our house on the market.

Anyway, it's a 1982 Newport. The gentleman we would buy the boat from bought it almost 4 months ago. Then covid happened, shelter in place, lost his job and needs to sell it. He showed me the bill of sale and her bought it for $6I more then he's asking because he just doesn't want to deal with it. He got a survey when he bought it and it looks good. He also got a separate engine inspection and the mechanic found a pin hole leak on the heat exchanger but said, other than that, the engine is in great shape.

I'm wondering if this would be a good boat to sail down the coast of California, across Panama and around the Caribbean.

I should also note that my wife and I have already signed up for the first 3 ASA classes and we're just waiting for the place to reopen after covid.

Also, is there anything we should look at, specific to newports?
You mentioned saving $20K to put towards a boat. Is that what he's asking? If so, I think there are better boats you can get for $20K.

The Newport 30 is a decent boat but nothing amazing. If he is asking $20K it's not grossly overpriced but certainly not a bargain, either.

Also, never rely on a survey commissioned by the seller. You need to get your own survey, since any surveyor you hire works for you, not the seller, and is looking out for your interests. Do this regardless of what boat you eventually buy.

Apr 3, 2013
The Newport 30 is a decent boat but nothing amazing. If he is asking $20K it's not grossly overpriced but certainly not a bargain, either
Oh, no. He's asking less than $9k. Which would leave us enough to update a few things. Autopilot, maybe a/c, update the fridge, etc.

And normally I wouldn't except a seller's survey (and I probably shouldn't here) but it is the survey from when he bought the boat a few months ago. The fact that he wasn't a seller when he got the survey makes me a little more inclined to trust it, but I'll probably get one anyway. Since I want to haul it out and paint the bottom (it was done 18 months ago and survey said the antifouling looked to be in good shape) I just don't want to have to think of painting the bottom while I'm enjoying the Caribbean. The survey also suggested changing 2 of the seacocks on the thru hulls.

Apr 3, 2013
I've heard the Canal is closed to pleasure craft right now. Of course, you won't be there very soon but it's something to keep focused on. Find out if the rigging is older than 10 years. That's something I'd be concerned about in terms of going offshore. A pinhole in the exhaust is an easy fix.
Standing rigging was replaced in 2017. The running rigging was all bought new last year but hasn't been replaced. There are 3 big plastic totes full of brand new, rode, sheets, halyard, etc.

We are aiming to leave here by August, spend a few months in Mexico, Guatemala and Costa Rica before sailing across Panama, so we miss hurricane season and hopefully many of those countries will be opening back up by then. But we have been watching and understand that our plans are conditional to the pandemic.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Oh, no. He's asking less than $9k. Which would leave us enough to update a few things. Autopilot, maybe a/c, update the fridge, etc.

And normally I wouldn't except a seller's survey (and I probably shouldn't here) but it is the survey from when he bought the boat a few months ago. The fact that he wasn't a seller when he got the survey makes me a little more inclined to trust it, but I'll probably get one anyway. Since I want to haul it out and paint the bottom (it was done 18 months ago and survey said the antifouling looked to be in good shape) I just don't want to have to think of painting the bottom while I'm enjoying the Caribbean. The survey also suggested changing 2 of the seacocks on the thru hulls.
Potentially that might be a good deal. What engine does it have?

Apr 3, 2013
Universal diesel 5416 2 cylinder. Recently had new filters and fluids, the raw water / fresh water pump was replaced and the Hurth marine gear fluid was recently changed. But the survey said that the engine mount bolts were loose so the engine should be checked to see if it's inline and true and then have the bolts tightened.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was a Newport 30 on the hard in a boatyard I frequented. I always liked the hull shape. In particular the forefoot was vee shaped and I always thought that would make an easy motion in waves. I think the interior has the engine in the cabin a little offset from centerline. Also, I think the propeller and shaft are offset too. I wondered how this would effect steerage under power. Otherwise it's a boat of the 70's not really designed for live aboard. It has a bit of a cramped interior and not the kind or storage you would want for a long cruise. There are 3 versions of this boat - all designed by Gary Mull - which are similar. Gary Mull was a great designer whose designs included my beloved Ranger 29, the venerable Ranger 23, the PHRF beater Ranger 26 and many others. The Newport 30-3 looks to be the most cruise friendly version.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
there are to concepts for cruising on a sailboat: campers and condos (my terms)

most sailors today want modern condos. push button everything. computers and battery banks and electronic everywhere. all very expensive and hard to keep in a salty environment.
i sail camper style myself. more sailing, less fixing for me. you do need camping skills which i have and enjoy.
in 1969 the average length vessel for world sailing cruisers was 29'.
not today. no room for the condo gear. most sailors today want the vessel to sail it self while they ride. i am very old school by choice. my crew and i do the camping work and sail the vessel manually. i think sailing is way more fun than riding. that is my choice. not many agree to sail manually like i do.
if you like a camping life style. that 30 ft boat will be great for two.
i prefer the camping style for cruising on a sailboat. my old alden is a camper. i sail with a big crew and we do everything manually.

life is choices. 30' is a great size for two camper style sailors.

send back pictures please, jon

Apr 3, 2013
there are to concepts for cruising on a sailboat: campers and condos (my terms)

most sailors today want modern condos. push button everything. computers and battery banks and electronic everywhere. all very expensive and hard to keep in a salty environment.
i sail camper style myself. more sailing, less fixing for me. you do need camping skills which i have and enjoy.
in 1969 the average length vessel for world sailing cruisers was 29'.
not today. no room for the condo gear. most sailors today want the vessel to sail it self while they ride. i am very old school by choice. my crew and i do the camping work and sail the vessel manually. i think sailing is way more fun than riding. that is my choice. not many agree to sail manually like i do.
i prefer the camping style for cruising on a sailboat. my old alden is a camper. i sail with a big crew and we do everything manually.

life is choices. 30' is a great size for two camper style sailors.

send back pictures please, jon
My wife and I do a lot of backpacking. Any time we have a few days of together, we head for the hills. In fact she worked at REI for a long time, doing part time work there just for the discount.

Shortly after meeting my wife, we bought an old 60s Dodge van and we traveled the US for a year, just exploring national and state parks, living in the van.

It's funny that mentioned the condo thing. My wife and I are stuck on 2 boats right now. Most look like nice RVs, or condos. The first boat we really love, it looks like a cabin. The layout really gives the sense of different rooms. It's a larger boat at 42 ft, but it really feels like a cozy mountain home. We both really love this boat but it would wipe out our savings until we sold our house. The second boat we like, the Newport, still looks like a condo but basically has everything we'd need so we could buy a few luxury items. (Honestly, trying to figure out which boat we should get is kinda eating me up)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I personally doubt that you will much enjoy sailing west to east in the Caribbean on a beamy, 30-ft boat built for the Newport to Catalina run across a 26 n.mi. channel. Boats sailing the Caribbean these days tend to be nearer 40 ft, often larger. The trip you are contemplating requires gear, even if “harbor hopping.” So, your camper’s tent will likely be full of “stuff.”

As far as sailing down the CA coast, it depends on where you are starting and when you will leave, as well as on your experience, as to its practicality; unless, perhaps, your wish is only to blow down from where ever you are straight to San Diego, which requires overnighting, and thus watch standing.

Does the boat have two sets of adequate ground tackle, a windlass, dinghy & outboard, solar panels (to power your fridge), radar, Bimini, dodger, chart table/nav station, etc? A friend of mine bought one of those vintage Newport models to travel up the CA coast from Long Beach. Got as far as Santa Barbara on the second try, then back home. Traded it up for a Catalina 34.

The ASA series can prepare you for local sailing and short-distance cruising. But you should, IMHO, have a couple of years worth (say, 40 trips each year of one to three nights each trip, average) of hands-on experience with short-distance cruising and anchoring before making the trip you describe. That way you’ll better understand what you are asking of yourselves. Also, I think you will find difficulty getting insurance to sail south of Turtle Bay in Baja California anytime before November 1st.

The folks I know who the have done the west coast-Panama-Caribbean trip and who ended up in FL or elsewhere in the GOM did so on 38 to 40-ft boats: Cascade 38 & Gulfstar 38 (couples) & Irwin 40 (two guys) and all had extensive sailing experience.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
i prefer the camping style for cruising on a sailboat. my old alden is a camper.

30' is a great size for two camper style sailors.
Camping is generally not anyone’s “life style” unless you’re Daniel Boone. Camping is a recreation that last a few days to a few weeks a year, where you haul your stuff up some place for a while, spread it out at a campsite, then later pack it back up and return home. “Boat Camping” is similar except that you don’t have to unload stuff at the destination. But, if you never go home and never move on you’re more in the realm of “sail bum” which is a lifestyle. No longer “camping out“ but rather living on a boat, primitively, frequently anchored in places where the local folks want you to move on, etc., as we know about with increasing regulations.

Our OP’s are talking about extensive cruising; living aboard a small yacht. People do it frequently. Folks write books about it. But you don’t pack up the stuff and go home after a week; you are home, especially if you’ve sold the house and are “all in.“ So, you are not camping, IMHO. Therefore it’s a bit of a fallacy to equate the two things.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
lol. enjoyed that, had a good laugh. go back and reread what i said tom sawyer, not. 'kings' your great.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............And normally I wouldn't except a seller's survey (and I probably shouldn't here) but it is the survey from when he bought the boat a few months ago. The fact that he wasn't a seller when he got the survey makes me a little more inclined to trust it, but I'll probably get one anyway...........
I am probably alone here but I sold a 1987 Hunter 31 and buyer accepted the survey I paid for when I bought the boat 1 year earlier and then purchased a 2004 Hunter 386 and accepted the seller's survey since it was less than a year old. When I sold the Hunter 386 I provided the broker with a current rigging survey and engine maintenance records. I did get a boat only survey (no rigging and engine survey) on 2005 Hunter 46 and boat only survey on 1984 Spindrift motor yacht. I subsequently got a running engine survey on the Hunter 46 with belt and fuel filter charges.

May 25, 2012

hillbilly, kings, you need to watch this video. this is a great video of a "camper" style of sailing. yepper, "camper" style.
i find this way more fun than condo style sailing, i find it allows for a much superior ride. i find it "the only way to go to sea"

May 25, 2012
i'm related to gov. bradford on the mayflower. i loved the name Pilgrim.
bradfords good buddy was john alden. john alden designed my boat. 'the circle of life' , ain't that fun
my old alden is a camper style sailboat. as i referred to.

Apr 3, 2013

hillbilly, kings, you need to watch this video. this is a great video of a "camper" style of sailing. yepper, "camper" style.
i find this way more fun than condo style sailing, i find it allows for a much superior ride. i find it "the only way to go to sea"
When I was in my 20s, my first boat was a 29 ft Gulf. I sailed that down and around the Caribbean. This was in the 90s. I remember a lot of 27 to 35 ft sailboats around that time. Most people may be in bigger boats nowadays but that doesn't mean that a 30 ft is unfit for the job. Hell, the lady I sold the boat too, had sailed to Miami from German and was buying my boat to sail home. I have another friend who circumnavigated in a 30 ft Rawson.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A Rawson 30 is a full-keel boat of 12,000# displacement, 9-ft beam. Your Newport 30 is a fin keel of 8,000# displacement, > 10.5 ft beam. On the surface of it, the R30 is a much more sea-capable vessel. A boat’s length is not the only consideration. But, if you’ve done all of this once before, why the need for ASA courses? You’re talking several hundred $$ for the both of you.