If you could homeport anywhere, where would you homeport?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Sorry to use homeport as a verb, but you get the idea.

If you -- and your boat -- could be teleported anywhere in North America (US, Canada, and Mexico), where would you go?

Lush Maine or the Pacific Northwest? Sunny Florida? The fresh water Great Lakes? the mind boggles at the opportunities.

What would meet your ideal of fantastic cruising grounds and livability?

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.42.35 AM.png

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I think that somewhere near Long Island Sound, summering in the Sound and migrating South for the winter, now that is a dream of mine. Working on the Admiral hoping someday her thoughts will align with my dreams, but somehow I think that I will remain alone in my dream..... oh well it is nice here in the Great Lakes basin, just growing tired of the winter season, it seems to get longer every year while the warmth of summer fades more quickly.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I think that somewhere near Long Island Sound, summering in the Sound and migrating South for the winter, now that is a dream of mine. Working on the Admiral hoping someday her thoughts will align with my dreams, but somehow I think that I will remain alone in my dream..... oh well it is nice here in the Great Lakes basin, just growing tired of the winter season, it seems to get longer every year while the warmth of summer fades more quickly.
Love where we live on Long Island sound though I wish my home port was further east..... fishers island sound area is a great place with access to wonderful places. And I do agree..... south in the winter. I am a lucky man as the wife can’t wait to leave!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you -- and your boat -- could be teleported
I enjoy the Pacific Northwest with what seems like limitless opportunities for cruising.
But I would love to use the teleportation to visit the other options and explore the bountiful sailing gifts they provide. I want it all. Quick Phil get the equipment up and running- correctly and reliably.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
I've sailed to many ports around the world. Always good to get back to my home port in PNW. I've not seen any cruising grounds more beautiful than ours. The taxes here are eating me up though.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think Narraganset Bay would be the ideal location in my mind. Perfect summer weather. Fantastic destinations all around. Jumping off platform for Bermuda and points south for the winter. Maine is too far north, Chesapeake & points south are too hot in the summer and also too exposed to hurricanes. NY/NJ is about perfect latitude but shoreline is not varied or friendly enough for cruising. Long Island Sound is on the right track, but NYSail nailed it … just east of the sound is the sweet spot.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
It's only 55 in Marathon FL this morning but if I could be transported there, beam me up Scotty. With the wind chill this morning, -28 below here in western NH. Ideal situation, Maine in summer, Marathon in the winter.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
In the depth of winter one can yearn for limited rain and warmer climate. The home port for my boat is based primarily to the location of my desired primary residence. I looked at a house in Skyline-Anacortes I could live there easily, best of all the dock for a 40’ boat was in the back yard.

Best of all it’s outside of Sound Transit and Seattle Areas Horus Traffic, and easy access to San Juan’s and Gulf Islands.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A question begging many “qualified” responses. If working with limited time-off for sailing/cruising and that’s my principal concern, I’d wish a home port offering many quality destinations within 30 to 40 or so nautical miles of port. Where might this be? Places somewhere along the southwestern coast of Florida, say from Clearwater to Ft. Myers. Other places would, of course, be nearly anywhere along the coastal margin of the Salish Sea. Of those two, I’d choose the latter area at either Vancouver, Nanaimo, or Campbell River. However, the most interesting destinations can be most easily fetched in reverse order from Campbell River, then Nanaimo, then Vancouver. My fourth pick would be Port Townsend, WA, or near there such as at Sequim, WA.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
for me, for such a question applied to snow skiing, the qualifiers are the snow quality, and the cut of the runs, not the shopping, restaurants, the parking lot or even the view. so, i am thrilled right where i am, sturgeon bay wis. :)

P.S. aspen is my favorite place to ski while michigan is my favorite place to snowmobile and w. virginia is my favorite place to motorcycle :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
in sturge, i have little bay sailing, big bay sailing, great lake sailing, and access to the everywhere else on the globe

May 25, 2012
i live on the sturge shore, in my great great grandfathers home, three miles down the shore road from aeolus.
HEAVEN for me

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Right here is SoCal. Year round sailing. Pacific Ocean access without any canals or internal waterways. Islands and foreign destinations nearby. Hawaii just two weeks away. It don't get no better than this right here!

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Agree with @LeslieTroyer & @Kings Gambit :dancing:. Gulf Islands heading north to the Haida Gwaii. Desolation Sound, Bute & Knight Inlets etc. More than enough exceptional cruising water to fill a lifetime.

Had a taste heading north during the R2AK in June but .....we did not stop. Will be back.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Florida offers year round sailing, warm water, warm weather, nearby the Exumas, Bahamas, Caribbean islands, the Keys, dockside restaurant heaven throughout the coastline, the Gulf coastline, diving on the bottom isn't torture...

Having said that, I still prefer Newport and the RI/MA offshore islands of Nantucket and MV. At least in June and July.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@h2o_snow So you were a racer in the R2AK? What boat? How was it? Pictures?
From the reading and images I have found it was a grueling experience. Good on those women to accomplish the challenge in a monohull.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
@jssailem well... yup.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but we raced a S2 7.9 - Team Teewinot - I believe the first Idaho boat to compete. 14th place 2018. Home is Jackson Lake WY.

https://r2ak.com/2018-teams-full-race/team-Teewinot/

Best said - be prepared for adventure. After a night beating across the Dixon Entrance I was pleased to get off the boat. Saw glass to 35mph and this was a calm year. The ability to reef and balance the boat was huge - had 7 headsails and used them all. Will rig a double forestay next time - hope to be back.

Many pics - finish bell is appropriate.

upload_2019-1-21_10-53-48.png