If you could homeport anywhere, where would you homeport?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
As long as we are limiting our home port to

I'm interested in Puerto Rico. The people are among the friendliest I've ever met, the weather is great, the food and music, first rate, prices are reasonable and resources are adequate. The real attraction is access. The whole Caribbean, Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas. It is an island hopper's dream. For a World cruiser, it isn't hard to jump up to the Gulf Stream, cross to the Canal or take the Trades. Oh Yeah, and fishing is World class.

View from the veranda of our AirBnB in Fajardo.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Have they fully recovered from the hurricane(s) ?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There's still some trash on some of the beaches, but I found nowhere that didn't have power. I haven't visited the resorts, most things were closed due to the pandemic, not the hurricane. Covid is far worse for an economy, than a hurricane or two, even to an island nation, I would think.

I'll be back there the day after tomorrow. I can report more after that.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's still some trash on some of the beaches, but I found nowhere that didn't have power. I haven't visited the resorts, most things were closed due to the pandemic, not the hurricane. Covid is far worse for an economy, than a hurricane or two, even to an island nation, I would think.

I'll be back there the day after tomorrow. I can report more after that.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Have you ever seen the metal schooner Nathaniel Bowditch down there? They sailed it down there right before the hurricanes in 2018. When we would vacation down in Destin FL we would charter their evening wine and cheese sail. We got the last cruise before they sailed her down to PR. Bad timing we think.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Have you ever seen the metal schooner Nathaniel Bowditch down there? They sailed it down there right before the hurricanes in 2018. When we would vacation down in Destin FL we would charter their evening wine and cheese sail. We got the last cruise before they sailed her down to PR. Bad timing we think.
No. I'll keep an eye out. I actually haven't seen a lot of the boating scene in PR.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
well. yawl know i have an opinion of where there is spectacular sailing :cool:
we have the best water. we have the best winds. populated by nice people.

here is our history:

i live on the exact edge of the niagara escarpment.
pick any city, town, country around these great lakes and you will find great sailing. we have the WINDS.