If you could homeport anywhere, where would you homeport?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As long as we are limiting our home port to
anywhere in North America (US, Canada, and Mexico)
I'm interested in Puerto Rico. The people are among the friendliest I've ever met, the weather is great, the food and music, first rate, prices are reasonable and resources are adequate. The real attraction is access. The whole Caribbean, Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas. It is an island hopper's dream. For a World cruiser, it isn't hard to jump up to the Gulf Stream, cross to the Canal or take the Trades. Oh Yeah, and fishing is World class.
20201129_154747.jpg

View from the veranda of our AirBnB in Fajardo.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
You just need to open he border and they will come.
With both governments putting new restrictions in place its hard to imagine that happening before we all get vaccinated. Time line for us should get our 2nd dose early May so maybe a better summer this year.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michel, for my part i have written a message to my Congress person asking that travel between our countries receive consideration at the earliest. We are two countries with a long history of cooperation and sharing.
It is appropriate that the sea lanes re open and we again share positive exchange of stories.

Jan 5, 2017
Michel, for my part i have written a message to my Congress person asking that travel between our countries receive consideration at the earliest. We are two countries with a long history of cooperation and sharing.
It is appropriate that the sea lanes re open and we again share positive exchange of stories.
We’ll hope and pray but from indications I’m getting it may be another lost summer for our trip around V.I. Time will tell and hopefully give us lots of warning if it’s a go.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
As long as we are limiting our home port to

I'm interested in Puerto Rico. The people are among the friendliest I've ever met, the weather is great, the food and music, first rate, prices are reasonable and resources are adequate. The real attraction is access. The whole Caribbean, Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas. It is an island hopper's dream. For a World cruiser, it isn't hard to jump up to the Gulf Stream, cross to the Canal or take the Trades. Oh Yeah, and fishing is World class.
View attachment 189725
View from the veranda of our AirBnB in Fajardo.

-Will (Dragonfly)
We've been there several times and enjoyed the beauty and hospitality. Only negative is hurricane season and limited infrastructure.

MarcW

Dec 9, 2019
Hunter 356 Lancaster
The Chesapeake. More specifically, the Virginia side unless you like taxes.

Jan 5, 2017
That same ploy is used up here in the PacificNW. :)
It always rains in the PacificNW. Avoid it like the plague. Seriously. When you look down and see moss growing between your toes you know that it must be summer as the moss doesn't grow in the winter.
John, you know that’s just not true. I have a picture that proves the sun came out once!

• Ha
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We've been there several times and enjoyed the beauty and hospitality. Only negative is hurricane season and limited infrastructure.
I'm going again in about a week. I'm not sure what you mean by "limited infrastructure". Their recently replaced governor had done an incredible job keeping PR safe from Covid. Their numbers are better than almost anywhere else. Every business we encountered had electronic thermometers to take temperatures before admittance and many had automatic touchless hand sani dispensers for customers. The police presence to enforce mask wearing and curfew was good without being overly imposing. The government web site was informative. And, they have Walmart.

I could not, however, find any small sailboat rentals only keel boat rentals.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I'm going again in about a week. I'm not sure what you mean by "limited infrastructure". Their recently replaced governor had done an incredible job keeping PR safe from Covid. Their numbers are better than almost anywhere else. Every business we encountered had electronic thermometers to take temperatures before admittance and many had automatic touchless hand sani dispensers for customers. The police presence to enforce mask wearing and curfew was good without being overly imposing. The government web site was informative. And, they have Walmart.

I could not, however, find any small sailboat rentals only keel boat rentals.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will, suggest you research the aftermath of recent hurricanes. Their power grid seems to be very fragile and takes a long time to repair. PR seems to be a target for hurricanes as they make a turn to the NW. I would also research other municipal services you might wish to have in a relo to PR.