Identify this boat

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Well, I thought this was a PEARSON ELECTRA, the cruising version of the more well known PEARSON ENSIGN.
However after looking more closely at the posted pictures, That is not what it is, Sorry!
I am pretty sure this is not an Alberg Design either, looks sort-of 1960s British or European in design. I'll keep looking at my library of boats for a possible match. Since I wrote a lot about hte Electra here, I'l lleave it in case anyone else may someday need info on that design.

The Electra was sort-of a "Mini-Triton" and was designed by Carl Alberg for Pearson Yachts. The Electra actually came a few years prior to the Ensign, and was the original version, but a group of sailers from Long Island Sound apparently approched Pearson about wanting a more racing/daysailing version of the Electra, with a larger cockpit and a fractional rig, initially known as the "Electra Daysailer", the class name soon became the "Ensign" to separate her from the Electra. Pearson never really did sell a huge number of Electras, although they were built for most of the 1960s, as I mentioned, the Ensign gained much mor popularity and has remained an active racing class to the present time.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You want a serious advice, don't touch it even if they offer it for free. Once you take it the problem is yours and it will cost you a pretty penny to dispose of it. That boat is a sinker.
A harbormaster once told me a story of a guy that bought a derelict boat for next to nothing from his marina. A week later the keel had been cut out. The guy sold the lead for scrap for far more than he paid for the boat and disposal!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While the length is close, it is not a shark.

Feb 11, 2022
Capital Yachts, Kenner Newport30, Kittiwake Rochester Harbor, Lake Ontario
Hi Everyone,
I'm in, of sorts, the same place as Vilpper98. I have a 1966 Kitiwake (acquired for free) in need of restoration. I am in the process of fixing up a 1974 Newport30 I purchased for cheap 10 years ago. Sailed her for five years. Then began the process of dealing with delamination in places damaged spots in the deck at hardware mounting, worn and leaking bedding. So experience with fiberglass repair is not an issue. This boat was destined for the dumpster. The question...is this boat worth the effort? It has all of the hardware and sails, which the main is virtually new, but heavily stained. The fore deck is extremely soft. Which also I ask, does anyone know the thickness of the core material in the deck? So your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Just a note, my dad was a fan of Carl Alberg designs...so saving one would, in my way, would be a tribute.

Thanks for reading, Jon Connors

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Cant id brand but it has obviously had a flooded cockpit with the inevitable core rot and delamination. This isn't a fixer but rather a complete rebuild which will cost more in materials than the value if done right.
How do you know, it could have a solid (non-cored) hull and deck?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Try Chesapeake Light Craft they have a wide variety of boats, sail, power, and paddle.

I have roamed over the CLC site before. Many coold desings there. Also Duckworks is another great source of boat plans. I purchased the Cormorant plans from Duckworks and built a 1": 1' scale model. It was a lot of fun and fed the dream for a while.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

Attachments

Mar 15, 2015
HUNTER 23 PUNTA GORDA, FL
Not a Shark 24 (built in Canada). Shark has stern mtd rudder, different port lights, engine compartment not in centre but towards stbd side, 1 step cabin. A good alternative.