Ideas on selling a sailboat?

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Cherubini Bayfield, WI
Anyone have selling ideas for a used sailboat? A template or self-selling idea. Good Old Boat classified seems a good source.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
1980 Cutter-rigged sloop. Very good condition, fresh water always. Two-year old complete overhauled Yanmar motor. Anyone have selling ideas? The boat is in Bayfield, Wi the owner is in White Bear Lake. A template or self-selling idea. Good Old Boat classified seems a good source.
What about here on SBO? The rates are very reasonable.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Just like selling anything else - attract a person looking and negotiate a fair price for both sides. Sailboats, particularly larger and older ones are a dime a dozen. We've had several from this area donated to charities because they just would not sell. Find the market price from others selling here or Yachtworld, then bite the bullet early and mark yours down by 10-20% if you want to move it. Do not price it at what "she is worth to you" as that doesn't matter. Set a date mid-summer to drop the price another 10%. Pictures sell things on the internet, and make them clear and clean. Strip out most of the personal stuff and clean the boat; no one wants to see your old beer or oil bottles laying around the cockpit and saloon. Let absolutely everyone know she is for sale, but cheaply - SBO, friends, internet, yacht club bulletin board, local newspaper (if they still exist), etc. - you never know. Other than on-line, limit your ads to your state or surrounding area. No one is flying in from Boston to look at her.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@JHoward you report you have 30 years of sailing on multiple boats. And you are in Sales as an occupation.

It seems to me you might use ways that motivated you to buy or sail those boats. Apply these to your selling skills.

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Cherubini Bayfield, WI
Just getting started here. Thanks for the feedback. The maintenance has been excellent, have all the receipts.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Wax the hull, polish the stainless, make a list of all the improvements you have done, fix everything then advertise on SBO and/or broker.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Barnacle Bill here on SBO is the best broker in the area. His yard (Hoopers) is 10 minutes from WBL and he pretty much lives in Bayfield. He’ll know what it will take to sell it. Give him a call or drop him a message.

The owner will NOT want to make that drive every time someone wants to go kick its tires.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm not sure how this post breaks any rules but to each his own. When it comes to selling a boat you might find this thread interesting and helpful. Lots of good advice in the mix for doing it well.
There is a fine line between using the forum to sell your boat and asking about how to sell your boat without a broker. Sometimes it is just the way the question is worded that crosses or not crosses the line.

Also, one of the revenue streams for SBO is income from Classified Ads for boats. Using the free forum instead of a reasonably priced ad on SBO just isn't right.

Oct 22, 2014
There is a fine line between using the forum to sell your boat and asking about how to sell your boat without a broker.
That is the point.

I think if I invite you or you ask to join a party and you start by telling me you just joined a MultiLevel Marketing program, I would share with you a glass of wine and say that's nice.

If you then start to tell me all about the program and how everyone is getting rich and how my contacts would be so cool to have and that I could make gobs of money putting on parties and telling everyone about this cool idea you have just discovered, I would try to stop you nicely and suggest this is just a relaxing party.

If you persist I would suggest you might find it more fun to take the conversation someplace else.

If you then started again with all the money to be made, I would show you the gangplank. It would be obvious to me that the subtle approach was not working.

Would I want to go into all the pros & cons of the subject. No it is a party.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Boys, boys, boys. Taking him at his word he is just asking advice. If you really don’t like what he was saying, report him to police bot. However, he’s just asking for advice.

I think you should clean up your boat real good and put pretty pictures that look like anybody would want to have that boat whether they are willing to pay for it or not. The thing that my wife and I have found that is the biggest turn off is nasty-ass pictures. If you can’t make it look good, don’t try to sell it. So, that is my advice on how to sell a boat.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Craigslist worked for me - sold my boat last Spring. Broker had the listing almost 2 years without an offer. Good photos are important, particularly one of the boat under sail (after all, you are selling a sailboat, not a cottage).

Oct 22, 2014
Sold my trailer sail boat in 2 months. Online advertising. Followed Kermit’s plan. Clean up. Listing online. Fair price. Happy buyer.