ice box drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2009
Pearson 36.2 Biloxi, MS
We have a 1986 Parson 36-2, which has a refrigerator/freezer unit in the ice box, and I can not find a switch to pump out the ice box. I am not sure if this was disconnected when the refrigeration was installed. Other boats I have been on either had a separate switch and pump or tied the ice box drain into the shower drain pump.

Thanks for the help

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 NORTH POINT MARINA/WINTHROP HA IL
We have a 1986 Parson 36-2, which has a refrigerator/freezer unit in the ice box, and I can not find a switch to pump out the ice box. I am not sure if this was disconnected when the refrigeration was installed. Other boats I have been on either had a separate switch and pump or tied the ice box drain into the shower drain pump.

Thanks for the help
John, Do you have a hand pump mounted on your sink in the galley? That is usually how Pearson installed their icebox pumps. Also, check to see where the icebox drain hose leads. It is usually forward of the icebox and under the floor. Good luck and good sailing, Ron

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
It's the hand pump next to the sink faucet...... Mine has been working perfectly until this year...... I use to grease it up at the beginning of the season with teflon grease and that would sufice for the season, but not this year.

What does everybody else do when this goes? Is there a replacement kit? Or an identical replacement?

Greg

Nov 17, 2009
Pearson 36.2 Biloxi, MS
I never would have tried the pump at the sink. I will be working on the boat this weekend and will give it a try.

Now if I can only get the boat to go in reverse and neutral - most likely a linkage problem

thanks

Jan 22, 2008
It's the hand pump next to the sink faucet...... Mine has been working perfectly until this year...... I use to grease it up at the beginning of the season with teflon grease and that would sufice for the season, but not this year.

What does everybody else do when this goes? Is there a replacement kit? Or an identical replacement?

Greg
NY Sail, check the hose from the base of your pump under the sink. It is routed under the floor to the icebox drain. It could be clogged with debris or the hose may be crimped. The orignal pump from Pearson was a cheap plastic pump that I replaced with a quality stainless steel piston pump and installed a clear in-line filter to catch any debris from the icebox before it enters the pump. Also check your connection under the access lid where your starboard water tank is mounted. Look in the bottom corner towards the centerline. If you have a borescope, you can see the hose connection that connects to the drain in your ice box from the access hole cut for the hoses. Good luck and good sailing, Ron

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
rognvald, where did you get your stainless steel piston pump from? I have checked all the connections and hoses for clogs and such. All good but the pump is a lost cause....
Thanks....

Jan 22, 2008
rognvald, where did you get your stainless steel piston pump from? I have checked all the connections and hoses for clogs and such. All good but the pump is a lost cause....
Thanks....
NY Sail, if I remember correctly, it was a Swedish pump. I will look in my equipment file next time I go to the boat and let you know. Best, Ron

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks Ron....... See you out on the water some time. We sail into Northport once a year for our annual Maroni's dinner. Beautiful town indeed...
Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks....
NY Sail, I have checked my files and the pump I bought in 1999 was a Fynspray WS-60 pump made in New Zealand, not Sweden(not even close). Today it is available in brass or chrome. It is a excellent quality piston pump that has performed flawlessly since its installation. Today, as then, it is sold by Imtra which you can access on the web. I would highly recommend it and it is fully repairable and the parts are readily available. Good luck and good sailing, Ron

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks Ron... gonna make that call. Just replaced the faucet in the galley and what a difference it makes. And I thought the wife was happy when I got new canvas...

Sail32

Jun 23, 2011
Pearson 323 Mystic
You could buy a small inexpensive diaphragm pump from Defender, along with a faucet nozzle similar to the one your sink should have from the manual pump. If the manual pump was disconnected, just use that nozzle, freeing up the hole from the hand pump for a kitchen sprayer.

Jan 22, 2008
You could buy a small inexpensive diaphragm pump from Defender, along with a faucet nozzle similar to the one your sink should have from the manual pump. If the manual pump was disconnected, just use that nozzle, freeing up the hole from the hand pump for a kitchen sprayer.

How ,then, do you remove water from the bottom of the icebox? And, the icebox drain must then be plugged if you intend to use it as an icebox or a reefer. A hand pump for an icebox drain is a useful feauture, especially if your box is loaded with ice floating in water. Best, Ron

Sail32

Jun 23, 2011
Pearson 323 Mystic
I didn't explain it well, so here's a photo. To the right of the faucet is the outlet for the manual fresh water foot pump. The pump had been removed from my boat before I bought it, leaving that nozzle open. I connected that to a small diaphragm pump outlet, and connected the icebox drain line to the diaphragm pump inlet. The pump and on switch is located under the sink. To the left of the sink faucet I removed the old icebox hand pump and installed a sink sprayer. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.