I need a photo of a swing up rudder please.

May 26, 2020
Catalina 22 Shirley
I am going to build my own rudder. I just need a dead-on side photo of the rudder assembly with at least one dimension or something in the photo to show scale. A dollar bill or a 12-inch ruler, etc. Thanks.

I will post a Sketchup 3D model of the rudder after I complete it.

I have a 1976 Catalina 22.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just know that if you build your own it will not be class legal. Also I would move the leading edge forward to reduce weather helm if i did not care about class specks. As for the dimensions here is a thread and a drawing that will help. The archives are full of great info on just about everything C22 related. For more technical drawings try the C22 facebook group and the Tech manual from the Association (a must have if you don't own one already).

May 26, 2020
Catalina 22 Shirley
I have that drawing. The resolution is a little low to make good use of. I did make a model based off of it but I'm not satisfied with it.

I am never going to race this vessel. It's more to entertain my 5/7 year old boys.

How can I can my hands on that tech manual?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The tech manual is available from the C22 association.

As to the drawing I can't remember if the original engineer drawing is there or if a member just has it. Try contacting @C22Editor Rich fox to see if he has a lead on the actual drawing. Otherwise call the factory and they likely have something for you. If those don't work the Facebook group is also a great resource if your in to Facebook and you can generally find a used one for sale there. The kickup rudders are not as desired for performance as they tend to slip up causing increased weather helm as the lock wears out.

I say all that to ask why build one from scratch and not just buy a used one or use any type of rudder if it's just a beater for sailing and playing on? With over 5000 boats made parts can be found and purchasing a used rudder is likely cheaper than the materials unless you already have a shop for it with the supplies.

May 26, 2020
Catalina 22 Shirley
I can build one for about 1/3 the price of a used one. I have a very well outfitted shop for woodworking, metalwork/machining, etc. I also enjoy the process of making things.

I live on the south shore of Long Island and the bay has a lot of shallow areas. Until I get better at navigating/sailing in general I think I'd better use the kick up style rudder.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I can build one for about 1/3 the price of a used one. I have a very well outfitted shop for woodworking, metalwork/machining, etc. I also enjoy the process of making things.
That makes more since. Sometimes I am disheartened on this forum by those that take on larger projects that will cost more, take longer, and require skills they don't necessarily have to begin with. The majority start a project but don't finish it or spend years in the process until they lose interest in sailing because it "too much work" instead of just getting on the water.

I just checked the manual and the engineering drawing is not listed however there are something like 20 articles about rudder repairs, rebuilds, pictures, problems, and improvements for both fixed and swing rudders. It likely would give you a better idea of what you want to make so I highly recommend it. As for the engineering drawing your best bet is to call catalina yachts and see if they have one they will email you. Some documents they share and some they don't. Since Rudder Craft just started making class legal rudders I would guess they would be willing to share that information but i'm not sure. Make sure you post some pictures when your done. Also if you join the assiociation you might consider documenting how you made it and doing a short write up for the Main Brace (a free C22 magazine online) that is published each quarter. you may just help the next guy with what you learn.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Wasp....whatever you do, build one or buy one, being a kick-up, put a shear pin in it to keep it down (till you hit something)....I learned the hard way....2 cents....

May 26, 2020
Catalina 22 Shirley
Excellent advice all around. Thank you. I will definitely include a shear pin in my design.

May 26, 2020
Catalina 22 Shirley
Also if you join the assiociation you might consider documenting how you made it and doing a short write up for the Main Brace (a free C22 magazine online) that is published each quarter. you may just help the next guy with what you learn.
I will certainly document and share the process for anyone who is interested. Thanks for your advice and input.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
My suggestion would be to look for a used replacement at a marine salvage yard. If one is too pricey or in real bad shape perhaps you can get the measurements and a first hand look at the materials and fabrication method. I would suggest you call ahead and ask if they have one for the Catalina or for any other 22' boat. I'm pretty good at copying or repairing things but try to avoid having to design them. Rudders are very important.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Me too... I don't have a usable rudder. Also would appreciate the help with photos and dimensions.

Being outside the US it is extremely expensive to buy into the Catalina Association stuff... I don't earn USD!

It's even more rediculuos to consider buying and importing stuff... shipping costs alone is expensive, then there's the import duties and taxes our money hungry government wants to help feed the corruption and crime.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I would not recreate the original, it is heavy slips a lot thus shear pin. I would look at the ruddercraft design. Blade comes all the way out you can incorporate a mast stepping pole into your design as well.