I hope all you NE folks fared well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Delaware River report on Sandy

Fortunately for us on the Delaware River side of NJ, this storm seems to have gone out of its way to avoid doing anything major around here. I know many other people got hit badly. Some house on my block had a tree fall... next to it. I saw one that had a tree land on the porch in Delanco.

There was no flooding at all in the boatyards (except for what usually happens after a steady rain) and nothing fell over. One neighbouring yard dropped a boat through a trailer while moving it (the bunks were too far apart; it was unrelated to the storm). Another yard had a small boat fall over, probably a forlorn one that was not blocked properly to begin with. I saw the angled mast from the street but didn't inspect it.

I was worried sick over the cover on my boat catching enough air to blow it over and added a couple of stands under the hull. Where it sits is usually a swamp (that is to say there is standing water after a rain. Apparently the ground is still very hard, just low).
But there was no evidence of stuff even blowing around. (People had just moved out of a house across the street and their cluster of trash was still right where they left it!) One small boat had the cover blow off but it was an elasticized one and we had neglected to tie it down. Anything we tied down survived.

Our estimates of wind (especially mine at the house) were way higher than what we must have actually had. Realistic estimates put it at 50-55. The eye passed right through us-- came at about midnight for about 2 hours-- but by 6 am the trees were barely swaying. According to weather maps the track of the storm went by about 20-30 miles south of us, but it was a very large-sized storm and the frontal swath, though not as strong as we feared, was very wide (175-200 miles).

At hom e we were out of power for 23-1/2 hours. The boatyard's was restored about 6 hours earlier. During the storm you could see lightning in the distance, but it was bluish, not white. One of the yard workers who stayed on his boat told he saw it too-- it was transformers popping. The flashes were visible for a mile or two.

The yard guy reported that the tidal surge rose enough to jam one gangway under a power post on the dock and the motion pushed the gangway off its bulkhead mounts till it was standing 20 feet up on that end. He just jumped over to the bulkhead and went about checking stands. That was at about 2 am. He said most of the windward stands on larger boats were 'floating' --having a gap between stand and boat, due to the wind pushing the boats over onto the leeward ones. But he said that they don't always follow our practice of ensuring every stand has a block or plywood under it; and when I checked our yard we didn't have that problem. I actually relaxed my stands next morning.

We had been threatened with 'major' storm surges; but my cousin Dave was right in that the anticlockwise spin of the storm actually threw water out of the River. The high at 15.43 on Wednesday was only about 30 inches above normal; as Lee said it was average for a full-moon high tide with a little rain added. The yard guy went kayaking in the street on Sunday night (someone got a photo!); but that always floods due to low street drains and the Creek never even crested the lower bridge abutments. Actually we got much more rain on Sunday night and on Monday than during or after the storm.

I am grateful to all those who sent e-mails out of concern. My heart goes out to those at the Shore and those in NYC. Let's see what we can do or pray for them.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
Islander came through fine, due to the crew and our marina staff at Maryland Marina who were out on the docks through out the storm adjusting lines and checking on things. The Admiral and I were in the process to taking title to a new home on Maryland's eastern shore and had left Baltimore Thursday evening before the full impact of what Sandy was going to be was known. Luckily our good friends John and Jackie who live in Northern Va were able to come w on Friday and tend to what I could not.

With the lines doubled sails down below and the marina storm watch in place she rode it out fine.

We actually rode the storm out a few miles from the Atlantic, luckily the Delaware and Maryland coast although they got lots of wind and rain, and there was some flooding, did not take the hit the NJ & NY folks did and we got the settlement in and finished our packing, with no damage at the new and only a few minor leaks at the old place.

The only real shame is we had hoped to get her out one or two more times this season before we put her on the hard, as there were only two more possible sailing days this season, as I have been out of town this weekend, and only had Sunday this next weekend and the weekend after the storm ended our season.
None the less we are very thankful and appreciative of the help and luck we had and our thoughts and prayers are with those who did not make out at well.

bzano

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 18.5 Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Re: Postcards from NJ ....

Scott
Glad things are OK. We were one of the fortunate people here in Rockaway TWP that never lost power but we cannot say the same for many family and friends. I pulled the S/V Zanotime out last Friday (26th) before all the craziness started. Boat is safely on the hard in the driveway. I concur with many of your points in your posting, the gasoline is really bad, reminds me of 73-74 and 79. Stay safe and warm if you can.

Bob

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hi Bob ...

Yes, the entire marina emptied out! I was there on Saturday at dusk and then again on Sunday making preparations. There was a steady stream of boats being pulled out on trailers. By the time I finished on Sunday there was only Thunderbird and 2 fishing boats tied up on our pier. By Monday at dusk, I stopped by to watch and it made me nervous to see a few gusts lay my boat over in the slip. At this time, the wind was from the north and I have never seen waves marching down the lake like that. I was very glad that we are in a protected cove.

I stopped over at The Windlass yesterday (Saturday) because I know there were a few sailboats over there before the storm. There was just one sailboat there. Somebody has a newish Catalina 25 (with a scoop stern) that they left in the slip with the sails still on. The furled head sail was a mess and it was still flapping in the breeze yesterday, totally shredded, and it has to be putting unnecessary strain on the forestay. Every snap of the sail causes the entire rig to shudder. The mainsail was loosely covered but it looked like it wouldn't take much more to shred the cover and the sail.

I can't imagine leaving it at the Windlass anyway, because it is so exposed, but they did seem to put adequate lines out to secure the boat. It had to have been beating against the tires for quite a while though.

They would have been much better off and protected if they moved their boat over to our slips. There were plenty of empty spaces available and I doubt even Mayor Fran would have had a problem with it! :D

It's funny, though, I can't remember ever seeing that boat sailing this year. Tell Luke Hi for me!

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Nyack Boat Club took the biggest losses in over 100 years. 19 boats broke away from their moorings. Most with abraded pendants wearing through due to the many hours of storm wind and chafing gear wearing through or moving . Some boats dragging their mushrooms (some over 600 lbs) out of the mud due to the extremely high tide. Almost all were total losses. Our floating docks went through the parking lot, taking out much of our equipment. Friday we need 3 cranes (2 on barges and one land based) to clear our immediate area of wrecked boats and docks. The porch roof was torn away in a big wind gust. The planking on our main dock was ripped off. Yesterday a member in SCUBA gear recovered a boom and several other items from under the dock And we were'nt the worst. Some members had pulled their boat in Stony Point in advance of the storm. There, the docks floated through the dry storage area like bowling balls and all except 4 boats were knocked off their stands. Piermont just south of the Tappan Zee bridge was even worse with boats scattered over the main road. All three of Piermont's marinas were heavily damaged along with all their boats. Almost none went unscathed. Wow.
I lucked out and 50/50 only wore through one pendant. The second one held the boat to it's 300 lb mushroom and 40' of heavy chain. Although I'm not sure we would have lasted another day of storm winds. All the drifting vessels missed mine. I guess it's time to buy a Lotto ticket.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Atlantic Highands is a mess. No one is allowed in yet. My boat is in the back somewhere.

ForumRunner_20121104_195350.jpg

ForumRunner_20121104_195414.jpg

Not sure how many boats are in Atlantic Highlands but I'm guessing only 10% were not moved off their stands or damaged. The surge was the highest ever recorded at Sandy Hook, NJ.

I would estimate that although only 10 or so boats remained on moorings and 50% remained after the storm.

The clean-up is well underway.

dmc

Jan 29, 2007
Hunter Cheribini Lk. St. Clair MI
Scott T-Bird.....

and all others in the New Jersey storm track. I'm glad to hear your all alive and well. While it breaks our hearts, boats and houses can be repaired, as long as life has been spared.
Here in the Upper Great Lakes (MI) there was only wind damage and some power outages.

Peace

dmc

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Actually, it is rather uplifting to see all the help pouring in. Last week, I first noticed trucks on the road from Ohio. All weekend, we had crews from Florida and Minnesota in front of my house and throughout the neighborhood. This morning, I saw trucks on the road from Texas. These weren't just small crews but major undertakings from these guys coming from states all over.

It's great to see this kind of support in action!

Dubo

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 340 Deltaville Va
From my Uncle in NJ

Was my premonition about to come true? Well it would have if the dockmaster had been able to haul my boat, because the surge caused tides 12 feet above high tide. Every boat (100 or more) lifted off their blocks. Winds drove them through fences, across roads into buildings. Some were found high and dry on the lawn of the Liberty Science Center roughly 1/2 mile away. Million dollar yachts were thrown helter-skelter like matchsticks. I have been around boats and ships non-stop since I was 4 years old and have never seen such devastation.

Two of my close neighbors with 48' Sea Rays docked next to each other, got an early jump on the storm and had their boats hauled as soon as they got word of the storm. The marina was open for the first time yesterday. As I walked through the storage area I could imagine their shock when they saw their boats still together, but piled in a heap!

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
miracles happen

I've spent the last couple days looking at the pictures of destruction along the Jersey shore - the iconic picture of the Seaside roller-coaster sitting in the ocean is across the narrows from my marina on the mainland and south side mouth of the Toms River - Ocean Gate. While much of the town was swamped and a large boat was "deposited" on the west side road run-up to the Rt. 37 bridge into Seaside- Somehow....my marina was spared the mayhem of the surrounding area!!!!!! Its miraculous!! I had visions in my head of all the boats tipped off their on cradles and piled up - and those left in-water, peeking out of the depthsr. As it happened, almost every boat was in-place, upright and safe. A miracle

It amazes me how with all the destruction all around us, that we managed to evade the full wrath of "Sandy"- the name - how ironic a Jersey Girl and they pretty much forecasted where this storm would hit landfall a week in advance!!!!!

We'll eventually need new charts of the bay for the next sailing season as their must be submerged obstructions like houses, boats and debris - not to mention new submerged sandbars in the bay( we have newly created ocean inlets too) - who knows when the gov't will side sonar the area and Garmin (etc) obtain new nav/depth charts.

In the Google Earth picture below,my marina is the white section just right of the "e" in Ocean Gate and above the white icon - Seaside is across the bay/narrows to the East/right.

I commend the planning and diligence of the marina staff and management for helping to save our boats- and my heart goes out to all those that suffered loss of life, home and property in this disaster.

Attachments

Aug 4, 2009
Catalina 27 Tuckerton
Well, nothing is built like a Catalina! My Catalina 27 was still in the water when Sandy hit and it was the ONLY boat still standing when it was over. More than that, it was completely undamaged and dry as a bone inside....
My marina is at the Jersey Shore in Tuckerton, right where the hurricane made landfall. Over 200 homes just east of the marina were completely washed away and hundreds more were damaged. The marina where I keep my boat was almost 12 feet above flood stage. Boats floated away, piled up, and sank. The creek takes a bend right at the marina and my boat slip backs on a seawall and launching ramp. Right now, there are 20 to 30 boats piled up right behind me.
The worst is over, the clean-up begins. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost loved ones, their homes and their possessions. In that perspective, losing a boat is insignificant....

Rich Botteri

EmmaC

Nov 16, 2009
Hunter 33 Miami
I wish that those of us who have lived through many hurricanes and had our boats survive well could have been there prestorm to teach you all how to nest or make webs to keep your boats safe. I also wish we could have told you to make sure that your floating docks were on pilings high enough to keep you on in a surge. Keep your selves safe and we know you will get through this.

Oct 23, 2012
Oday 25 - # 2174 Babylon, NY
My new 25 in Babylon, NY

I bought an O'Day 25 one month pre-Sandy (Great timing, eh?) My marina is in Babylon, NY - a hard hit area. She was stern to a dock between pilings. I went down at various tides the 2 days before - adjusted lines and stripped canvas, while the yard owner was hauling boats as fast as he could and putting them up for wiinter storage. Tuesday I waded through hip deep water (at low tide) for a 1/2 mile or so to see if I still owned a boat. All the boats on stands had refloated and were gone. My dock is destroyed so I can't get close to assess, but my baby is floating and appears OK. Yard owner - "just shows that boats want to be in the water, and when it gets bad they often do better there"

Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
Sometimes being slipshod is an advantage

Whenever we get a big storm the Weather Channel goes on and on as if it's the end of the world. By the time I realized that Sandy was actually going to be as bad as predicted it was too late to have my boat pulled. In Forked River we only get tides of 1-2 feet so nobody has floating docks. I just put as much slack in the lines as I could and hoped for the best. During the 8 foot storm surge and full moon high tide the stern lines pulled off their pilings preventing the boat from being dragged under. One of the aft stanchions went under the rub rail of the boat next to it and they locked together and rode out the storm. Many of the boats that had been pulled and blocked floated off the blocks and smashed together in a heap. Sometimes luck is just on your side.

I feel for all those who lost boats and houses to this storm but thankfully there was not more loss of life.

Nov 5, 2012
Hunter 46 Jersey City
Here is a link to pictures of the harbors in Jersey City.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14305330@N08/sets/72157631900373782/show/

Lots of devastation. Our docks at Hudson Point came to within a foot and a half of coming off the pilings. Luckily, the storm started moving faster and hit us before high tide or it could have been much worse. The docks across the inlet just disintegrated. The boats on the hard are just a jumble of wreckage. Still no power in the marina.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
drazlou---when they start doing the talking heads thing, go to passage weather or nhc to see what is really forming... i also us storm 2k for named wonders....the bubble headed bleach blonde on the evening news knows nothing.... check it out at the source,, then you know what is really cooking. wunderground works, also, and if you want pay to use site, storm pulse was my all time favorite for named storm tracking.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Most boats at Mystic Shipyard were pulled including ours in anticipation of a 10 foot surge. Here is MSY A Dock at high tide on Monday morning about 12 hours before Sandy. Boats that stayed in did OK one or two with some damage, though surge was not quite as high as anticipated. Main dock and fingers were about 2 feet underwater. Did talk with an Island Packert owner who was on a mooring that poped up in the middle of the storm and boat started down the river. And hour or two later the tide and wind changed and the boat came back fouled on another mooring and absolutely no damage.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Bristol 43.3 Perth Amboy
Perth Amboy

About 30 boats in our yard at Raritan Yacht Club were a total loss. Yard buildings destroyed. Water was up to the cupola.

Attachments

Aug 13, 2012
S2 8.0B Toledo
The devastation left in the wake of Sandy on the East Coast is just heartbreaking. I hope all are receiving the help and support they need.

There was some damage to boats on the North Coast in Ohio. Sandy managed to whip up some mean seas on Lake Erie in the Cleveland area http://photos.cleveland.com/clevelandcom_photo_essays/2012/10/northeast_ohio_cleans_up_after.html and damaged boats as far west as Sandusky, OH http://reportnews.newsnet5.com/Media/View/2770166

I checked on the Kama Hele Kai, which is on the hard, winterized, and covered. At the western end of Lake Erie, there was nothing out of place in the yard or at neighboring yacht clubs and marinas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.