I have dirty sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
Short of finding a tag on the sail, How do I determines what they are made of?

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Regarding the pool technique: I lay the sails out on my lawn, wet them down, scrub both sides using a soft brush and laundry detergent, then toss in my pool for about an hour right after shocking it. The 25 year old sails clean and brighten up nicely, and the mildew is gone. This is the 14th year I've done this with the original sails, so wasn't too worried about hurting them and I don't race anymore. So far so good.
Never tried the prewash method before. Sounds like a good idea. I live in Nevada where the moisture/humidity is nil. What Mildew?:D Too old smart, too late rich Fair Winds and Full Sails....

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
For woven dacron vs. laminated dacron ... look for the 'weave' of the sail fabric. Dacron cruising laminate - with very fine woven dacron 'taffeta' made from very fine diameter (denier) thread - 'usually' when held up to strong light will have distinct 'little squares' (1/4" X 1/4") showing through - do not clean !!!!!
No visible weave of fibers, then clearly a laminate.

For nylon used in light weight 'drifters', spinnakers, etc. will usually have the 'little squares' showing through and usually is dyed to various colors. Dont even 'think' to attempt to clean a nylon (rip-stop) sail with the methods I previously described.

All this is an 'experience' factor, so if you are unsure simply take to a sailmaker for the determination .... if you have any doubts. Usually small sails found on smaller boats are mede from woven dacron. Do NOT 'clean' any sail that is made from 'colored' materials with DIY methods; do NOT 'clean' any sail that has 'little squares' showing through the fabric.

Jun 19, 2011
incommunicado 27 Macatawa Bay Yacht Club,holland, MI
We soaked ours in Oxyclean in a clean trash can and they came out like new. I think I had to use about 1/2 of the container mixed with water. It works well for clothing and it will not hurt the sails. Do not get Oxyclean mixed up with bleach, they are 2 different things. If you have bad stains you can spray the stains with the Oxyclean spot remover first.
Would a "plastic can" or metal can be preferable??

Jun 19, 2011
incommunicado 27 Macatawa Bay Yacht Club,holland, MI
Is there any chemical difference using oxiclean with "plastic" vs metal cans?

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
Rich H,

I will get the stuff and you can come to my boat, when I get to the Virgin Islands, and show me how it is done.

Jim

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Youre on!!!! Ive just placed a special order with WM for the Tuff-eNuff, of course you supply the wine, tapas, etc.
South coast of PR or Spanish Virgins would be better since they dont have draconian restrictions on importing four legged soft bristle scrub brushes and no need to send the 'scrub brush' for many weeks of expensive 'rabies quarantine' in the UK then 'reshipment', etc.
:-O

Jan 26, 2011
catalina 36 mkI Bridgeton
RichH...looking at a reply to your first post...Help me with the term "rational environmental law"

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
RichH...looking at a reply to your first post...Help me with the term "rational environmental law"
You'll have to ask Thinwater ... see posting #5 in the sequence. Its his quote.

Feb 8, 2009
Sabre 34 MK-1 Annapolis, MD
If you read that sentence VERY carefully, it's ok. He said that if people were smarter and more sane, we would have "more rational environmental law." He definitely didn't say our environmental laws are rational, and he only said they would be "more rational," not necessarily completely rational.

Harry

Apr 10, 2011
O'Day 40 Muskegon
I use Stering Sails in Chicago. He does an excellent job at what I think is a reasonable cost. If you are in the Midwest you can take them to him. 773-523-4449. It is worth the cost of a pro to have all my sails checked by a professional sail maker, as he cleans, them for problems.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
We're going WAY off topic!

ra·tion·al/ˈraSHənl/

Adjective: Based on or in accordance with reason or logic: "a rational explanation".

Mar 26, 2011
ra·tion·al/ˈraSHənl/

Adjective: Based on or in accordance with reason or logic: "a rational explanation".
I had posted something longer, but shortened it to this. I spend part of my time working on enviromental regulations, from both sides. The reasoning is almost always based upon prior regulations, politics, and precident, and seldom on science. The science is only used to support the rhetoric.

Often, very often, a rational judge is our best friend.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Oxyclean is a powerful oxidizer. The 'water repellent compounds' of the sunbrella will probably be extracted although can be 'somewhat' restored by subsequent application of Apseal 303 "Fabric Guard" (Not "303 Fabric Protector") - recommended by the mfgr. of "sunbrella".
Sunbrella is a polyester and if 'dyed' (not white or 'light') is quite stable in UV. The manufacturer of Sunbrella recommends only 'washing' with mild soaps such as Woolite so that you dont extract the repellent.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I though Sunbrella was Acrylic fiber.

Mar 26, 2011
I though Sunbrella was Acrylic fiber.
Yup.

But since it is the polyester stiching that fails first, Rich was partly right. As we all know, most things made with Sunbrella can be restitched 2-3 times before the fabric goes, though it will fade a bit.

What I really dislike--though it looks good--is the use of sailcloth or other thin polyester materials as a sacrificial cover on rollerfurling jibs. It sacrifices itself within a few years and is expensive to replace. Sunbrella or the equivalent is the thing to do; i will last as long as the sail, stitching not withstanding.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Yup.

But since it is the polyester stiching that fails first, Rich was partly right. As we all know, most things made with Sunbrella can be restitched 2-3 times before the fabric goes, though it will fade a bit.

What I really dislike--though it looks good--is the use of sailcloth or other thin polyester materials as a sacrificial cover on rollerfurling jibs. It sacrifices itself within a few years and is expensive to replace. Sunbrella or the equivalent is the thing to do; i will last as long as the sail, stitching not withstanding.
When I sewed mine on last spring, the vendor who sells to all of the awning companies in the area recommended that I use nylon thread .the cost was about 60 dollars compared to 500 dollars at a local loft .

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Two problems already solved.
1. Sunbrella offers a THIN UV cover material, much thinner and yet as 'substantial' as the standard grade and doenst have the bulk nor weight of standard Sunbrella.
2, PTFE base Tenara thread which is totally UV immune, but at higher cost OR the use of 'dark' and higher 'denier' weight thread. ..... costly but will outlast the sunbrella that its sewn to.

Nyon thread, I dont think so as nylon is especially UV vulnerable .... and probably he was recommending GoreTex® Tenara - PTFE... quite costly

Sep 20, 2011
South Coast 22, Chrysler Lonestar 16, O'Day 14 Lonestar, Javalin Hudson
We used to soak the sails in the swimming pool overnight. Make sure the water is balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.