I got a free southcoast 22

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
was your steering/tiller effort rather heavy?
Don’t really remember, I do remember that I was sick of working on the boat and wanted to sail it. It didn’t have a rudder and I didn’t want to make one. Found and bought a rudder for Macgregor 25 And used it.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Don’t really remember, I do remember that I was sick of working on the boat and wanted to sail it. It didn’t have a rudder and I didn’t want to make one. Found and bought a rudder for Macgregor 25 And used it.
mine has a folding fiberglass rudder. I think it's the transom and combined with the angle of the folding bottom half creating leverage against the tiller.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Years ago probably back in the late 70’s I looked at a Southcoast 22 used. Inside was painted pink and black with candles hanging inside. Walked away and purchased a new one. Had a lot of fun getting on board without a ladder after jumping over board carrying my dog to the island for her to do business. My wife laughed so hard with me trying to get back on board without a ladder, we went home earlier than anticipated. Next trip with ladder in hand installed that ladder forgetting to caulk. Oops. Learned the hard way. It was one of many but learned well. The biggest advice was told to listen to the old and wide salty sea dogs. I learned and now I look back as I am now an old salty sea dog having been a dealer who designed things. The Hunter 23.5 was a project but most notably the 260 were my favorites.

To find leaks inside I suggest taping any open ports and forward hatch. Cover and tape a piece of plastic to the companionway. Cut a slit into the plastic insertingva leaf blower. Tape plastic to leaf blower. Have a second person with a bucket full of soapy water with brush ready to brush on the soapy water after turning on leaf blower. Where you see bubbles , there are leaks

Dave

Jun 29, 2022
Southcoast 22 Chicago
Hey, how's your boat holding up?

I'm about to acquire a free Southcoast 22 and your "poor man's injectafoam" post is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Also have a soft spot (not major, but some flex) on the front.

What do you think about paints? Do I need to spring for marine paint, or could I get by with something else on the deck/underside?

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2020
Hey, how's your boat holding up?

I'm about to acquire a free Southcoast 22 and your "poor man's injectafoam" post is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Also have a soft spot (not major, but some flex) on the front.

What do you think about paints? Do I need to spring for marine paint, or could I get by with something else on the deck/underside?

Thanks!
I redid the bulkheads, side decks, never fixed the deck beyond the foam. Sold it over a year ago. I saw it occasionally for awhile. Not sure if it's still out there or not.

They key to free boat is to have fun with it and not get caught up on the details.

Go to your local farm and home/orscheln/tractor supply and look at implement paint. I rolled my starwind 19 with it over the winter and am thrilled with the results. Cheap boats don't need expensive paint.

Attachments

May 18, 2022
Precision Precision 18 Geneva
View attachment 184566

I have a soft spot for junk boats. my buddy's sister got this as a project.... It was too far gone for her skill set.

Don't tell me "the most expensive boat is a free boat" I am well aware.

I have a knack for junk boats though. I will post pics of the progress. I've already fixed a hole where the bunk broke and shoved a bracket through the bottom, and cut out most of the interior, removed disintegrating foam and dead possums. The front deck is pretty soft, so I shot it full of foam ( poor man's injectadeck).

She will motivate with a 9.8 merc and a set of brown Hobie 16 sails that I had stashed back and measure out about right.

total investment? so far less than $75 including a 200ft roll of 5/16 double braid rope.
Great thread! Sounds like you know what your doing.

My recent acquisition is a Montgomery 17 I got for a pretty good deal. Sat in a barn for last 6 years. Hull/deck is solid after a good washing and polish wax I probably doubled what I paid for her. How would you address a seemingly dry (per tapping test) cockpit floor and feels solid underfoot but sounds like it’s crackling very subtly?

There is no stringer under cockpit floor just 1/2’ balsa sandwich in floor. Can I just epoxy 2 treated 2x4s longitudinally under to strengthen it?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 29, 2022
Southcoast 22 Chicago
Aug 10, 2020
That's pretty sharp! These little boats sail well. Have fun with it!!