I got a free southcoast 22

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
IMG_20200901_171403_378.jpg

I have a soft spot for junk boats. my buddy's sister got this as a project.... It was too far gone for her skill set.

Don't tell me "the most expensive boat is a free boat" I am well aware.

I have a knack for junk boats though. I will post pics of the progress. I've already fixed a hole where the bunk broke and shoved a bracket through the bottom, and cut out most of the interior, removed disintegrating foam and dead possums. The front deck is pretty soft, so I shot it full of foam ( poor man's injectadeck).

She will motivate with a 9.8 merc and a set of brown Hobie 16 sails that I had stashed back and measure out about right.

total investment? so far less than $75 including a 200ft roll of 5/16 double braid rope.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
The front deck is pretty soft, so I shot it full of foam ( poor man's injectadeck).

Hello SailingLoto,

Could you expound (or expand) on the use of foam to fill the space between layers of the decking? Do you mean you used the insulating foam that is used as insulation around windows and doors? What brand did you use and do you use a tube to get farther back into the gap to be filled?

Aug 10, 2020
I am in no way saying it's the correct or proper repair, but I've gotten by doing this on a couple other cheap old boats where the deck is soft and floppy. How I go about it is by wedging the inner layer back up where it should be with so 2x4's or whatever scrap lumber you have laying around. I take a 1/4" drill bit and perforate the inner layer ofglass randomly, but roughly every 10" or so. Drilling into the void where the balsa core originally was. I then slide the tube in a couple inches and try for atleast a couple second shot every 90 degrees. Work from the bow back so it doesn't ooze on you.
Loctite make a foam that is much denser and more consistent than store brands or "great stuff".
Let it set up over night, kick out the supports and try it.
I ended up leaving one support in this one, but it was very far gone. It no longer flops around as you walk across it and barely flexes at all. I did this to a 22 oday awhile back and got by with now supports. I've done a couple old runabouts this way too.
It's not the right way, but i have no interest in recoring a 40 year old boat deck on a $1000 boat in good shape.

Cole07

Sep 23, 2018
Oday Daysailer East Moriches, NY
This is a great thread and is very inspiring to prove that you don't need to buy an expensive boat or put a fortune into redoing a cheap one to have a good time out on the water. What hav you done to fix up the interior? is it totally gutted? Will you be redoing it?

Aug 10, 2020
This is a great thread and is very inspiring to prove that you don't need to buy an expensive boat or put a fortune into redoing a cheap one to have a good time out on the water. What hav you done to fix up the interior? is it totally gutted? Will you be redoing it?
thanks! I am glad you are enjoying it! I try to be frugal with my recreational stuff.

As far as the interior goes, if it isn't necessary, it's gone! It may get a couple stringers cut from plywood or 1x4's and glassed in just to stiffen it up a bit. Removing the starboard furniture took away some of it's stiffness. Then again, I may just keep an eye on it and see how she holds up.

The boat has good running rigging and the chainplates/bulkheads are decent enough for now. I figure if it doesn't leak, and it's safe to sail, I may as well enjoy it.

I have this little sc22, a 1962 Columbia 24 basketcase and a 1984 Laguna 26 that is mid restoration (mostly cabin work, new windows and stopping topside/deck hardware leaks) right now.

Total investment in the 3 boats is less than $1500 with a 22 and 26 ft trailer, a 9.9 yamaha and 9.8 Mercury.

the fun is sailing.... not spending money to sail.

Aug 2, 2005
Have you managed to register the boat and the trailer? Since you show it with a motor and sailing on the lake I would believe you have already done that legal work. Here in PA the DOT and the Fish and Game Commission can each become intransigent regarding the issuing of paperwork for free or gifted boats. A value must be assigned or somehow proved for the boat and the trailer prior to registration. Sales tax is a part of the reason for that requirement.

Several years ago I was offered a free boat, but decided to pay a small, reasonable amount to the owner so neither of us had to use our poker face when transferring the title or the registration.

Aug 10, 2020
Have you managed to register the boat and the trailer? Since you show it with a motor and sailing on the lake I would believe you have already done that legal work. Here in PA the DOT and the Fish and Game Commission can each become intransigent regarding the issuing of paperwork for free or gifted boats. A value must be assigned or somehow proved for the boat and the trailer prior to registration. Sales tax is a part of the reason for that requirement.

Several years ago I was offered a free boat, but decided to pay a small, reasonable amount to the owner so neither of us had to use our poker face when transferring the title or the registration.
As of now the boat and trailer are not registered. I had the motor sitting in my shed already. It is titled and registered in my name.

The boat was given with titles for boat and trailer. They are signed, dated, priced at $100 each with corresponding bill of sale to match. Missouri is a stickler in titles, and so am I. So no, it isn't currently registered. The pictures are from the trial run.

Water Patrol here is usually more occupied with tourists and drunks to worry about the local guy on a crappy sailboat.

Aug 10, 2020
Did you take the bulkhead(s) out?
no. the chainplates attatch to the bulkheads and they are still solid.

The boat sat bow up and leaning to the starboard on the trailer, so most of the rot I cut out was in that side. It was originally the galley, storage and seating. all 3/8 ply tabbed on one side..... not impressive construction.

I will probably end up glassing in a stringer and maybe making a flat spot/seat down that side just for rigidity.

These little boats are so crudely built. I am always amazed how long they hold up.

Aug 2, 2005
The boat was given with titles for boat and trailer. They are signed, dated, priced at $100 each with corresponding bill of sale to match. Missouri is a stickler in titles, and so am I. So no, it isn't currently registered. The pictures are from the trial run.
Perhaps getting the registration done sooner rather than later would save explaining why the boat and trailer are each worth only $100. It could be difficult to explain if you do a really fine job on your boat, add tires, a spare wheel and tire, and a paint job to the trailer Additionally, in PA just "signed by the previous owner" isn't always enough. If the owner is not present for transfer there might be a need for a certification of that signature. Perhaps a Notarized stamp on the bill of sale. That might not be the case for you, but recently I needed to make three trips to the Notary Public's location to get the transfer of a boat trailer title done correctly. The title was signed, but the official wanted to see each person fill out the paper in the office. The previous owner came with me the third time!

Just thinking of ways you could save yourself from dealing with a hassle.

Aug 10, 2020
Here in Missouri, a bill of sale along with titles is adequate to title in your name. They do need to match as far as serial numbers, prices, dates, names, etc. They don't look at the vehicle/trailer/boat, just the paperwork. You do have to do all of this within 30 days of the sale date.

To register I will also need proof that I am current on my property taxes. no big deal at all.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
31DADA85-E526-45EC-A210-32C220BB8CF8.jpeg

Another old photo of my SC22, she’s sailing fast, but you can see the dimple in the hull side where the chain plates attach. Reinforce it if you’re going to keep the boat for a while.