Hydronic heater installation

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
Hey coolant experts...
Soon after we purchased our boat in 2020, I dove into the list of chores identified from the survey. One of these was replacing the hydronic cabin heater, which was badly corroded and nonfunctional. I isolated that loop at the engine (valve), removed the old heater, and installed a temp connector at the hose ends in case the valve failed or was accidentally turned on. At the time, I worried that I'd introduced an air gap in the circuit, but in three years I've seen zero symptoms of overheating (Yammer 3hmf).

I've finally found a replacement Red Dot heater that will fit nicely. But I want to avoid introducing air to the line after I hook up the heater. I've read the manual on bleeding the coolant line, but do I really need to do that? One factor, if it matters, is the presence of a hydronic water heater on a separate valve/loop. If you have some tips to offer, I'm listening.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, absolutely you must bleed the system. Air will get trapped and impede or block coolant flow and cause turbulence in the hose which can erode fittings.

Ideally there will be a bleed fitting on the outlet side of the heater. The process is fairly simple, bring the engine temp up enough to open the thermostat and begin to circulate water through the system. Open the bleed fitting and let the air out, there should be some spitting and sputtering and then a steady flow. When the flow is steady, close the fitting. Ideally there is also a way to bleed the air at the highest point in the system. Water pressure will push the air uphill but not down hill, air will be trapped at the highest point.

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
What I expected. Heater isn't linked yet, so...
  • bleed the circuit from ...
  • connect heater hoses
  • valve on
  • (flush may be in order. Distilled water?)
  • fill
That's it, yes?

Last edited: