HX870 VS HX890 DSC Question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've had a HX870 for about 5 years. For the past year or so I noticed corrosion on one of the charging points of the radio. Apparently this has caused some resistance and heat as it stopped charging and I found the plastic supporting the contact has melted enough to become deformed.
So, time for new radio.

I've been studying the HX890 and the differences with the HX870. One main difference is the HX870 has two separate receivers, one for regular channels and one for DSC on channel 70. The HX890 does not.
Before I knew I needed a new handheld, I thought I read a post where somebody said the HX890 "scanned" scanned channel 70 and it was annoying when listening to a conversation on another channel.
Anybody know if I remembered correctly and the scanning of Ch 70 is annoying?

The marketing makes it sound the like HX890 is an improvement but going from Class D to Class H, supposedly to simplify DSC, sounds like a down grade.

Anybody upgrade from the HX870 to HX890 and wish they stayed with the HX870?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I would contact Standard Horizon technical service. They are very helpful and responsive. They reprogrammed my Standard Horizon HX851L handheld VHF radio so I could program my new MMSI number for my new sailboat into it. They also confirmed how to connect my new Standard Horizon GX2200 AIS to my Raymarine E80 and E120 Chartplotters and provided a diagram on how to do that.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do you really need a handheld with DSC?
DSC enables the "panic button" on the radio. This sends an emergency broadcast with the MMSI number and position of the boat to all DSC enabled VHFs and activates the USCG Rescue 21 alert/response system. Seems like a good option to have.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Do you really need a handheld with DSC?
DSC enables the "panic button" on the radio. This sends an emergency broadcast with the MMSI number and position of the boat to all DSC enabled VHFs and activates the USCG Rescue 21 alert/response system. Seems like a good option to have.
What Dave said.

Jan 11, 2014
Do you have your handheld DSC radio tethered to yourself? And one for every person on board?
If you have one of these attached to your PFD, you do.

Presumably, the handheld is used as a back up the fixed mount VHF and is used in the Dinghy. Many sailors carry one in their ditch bags, we will.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That's an interesting reply, Dave, but something of a non-sequitor; and it doesn't answer the question.

If you go overboard...what are the chances you'd have your DSC handheld on you?

I read the specs on the HX870, it's certainly impressive. I can see all of that on a boat that doesn't otherwise have a DSC radio, AIS, CP, etc. But for distress from my vessel I will take 25W and a 50' high antenna over DSC any day.

Not criticizing anyone's decision, just trying to understand the rationale.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
100% Probability. Clipped onto PDF.
Standard Horizon HX851 6W Floating Handheld VHF Radio.
If I go into the 53 degree water I have about 10 minutes to make a call and shout for help. So you carry the radio with you. That way you can have a chat with someone before you become fish food.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
That's an interesting reply, Dave, but something of a non-sequitor; and it doesn't answer the question.

If I'm solo sailing 100%.

But for distress from my vessel I will take 25W and a 50' high antenna over DSC any day.
Agree, but I'll take a handheld DSC unit If I'm watching my boat sail away.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you get real clever, I have heard, you can interlink your VHF hand held and use the VHF base unit as a repeater. As long as the radio is close enough. Suspect you will hope, when you fall off that the boat is not running at WOT.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't think the questions are nonsensical, at all. But if you feel it necessary to shut down the conversation, so be it.

Jan 11, 2014

I read the specs on the HX870, it's certainly impressive. I can see all of that on a boat that doesn't otherwise have a DSC radio, AIS, CP, etc. But for distress from my vessel I will take 25W and a 50' high antenna over DSC any day.

Not criticizing anyone's decision, just trying to understand the rationale.
I think you missed the point. The HX 870 is not intended to be either a substitute for a fixed mount VHF nor is it intended to be a MOB signaling device like the Ocean Signal MOB1. It is intended be a general purpose handheld VHF for short range communication with additional features (GPS and DSC) that would be very useful and perhaps life saving in an emergency situation.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I clip mine to my inflatable vest when I am single handing. Makes me feel a bit safer for no additional cost because I would have a handheld VHF anyway.
Same here, I wear it when I leave the cockpit. If my wife is aboard it also gives me the means to be able to talk her through retrieving me as MOB, if the fixed mount VHF is turned on. I have a remote mic at the helm. (She's good crew but not confident without me).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I don't think the questions are nonsensical, at all. But if you feel it necessary to shut down the conversation, so be it.
Non-sensical because they have nothing to do with the post. I don't have an answer for @Ward H because I'm not familiar with either Class D or Class H handheld radios. But I did find this … perhaps it might help to shed light.