HX870 VS HX890 DSC Question

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So, the intended use is not apropos to radio selection? Asking the purpose of the radio is entirely appropriate to this, as evidenced by the doc you link!

By the way, I am not aware that you are the arbiter of appropriate content on this forum. If you don't like it, just don't read it.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thanks @Scott T-Bird. That link helps explain the Class D and Class H DSC.
As I'll only be using the DSC for it's distress function, I think I'll be fine with the Class H DSC so I went with the HX890.

Apr 21, 2021
MacGregor 26 M Potomac, MD
I have used an HX 870 for 6 years but lost it recently. Can someone please address the question of whether the 890 is preferable to the 870? I always have it clipped to my PFD. I am not interested in pursuing the other topics leaped onto above.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
......Can someone please address the question of whether the 890 is preferable to the 870?.............
Best I can tell the Standard Horizon HX870 is discontinued and replaced with the HX890, which is thinner, sturdier, its DSC is more advanced and supports a Class H vs. D DSC operation.

• Helpful
Dec 5, 2021
Cape Dory 28 Barnegat
Best I can tell the Standard Horizon HX870 is discontinued and replaced with the HX890, which is thinner, sturdier, its DSC is more advanced and supports a Class H vs. D DSC operation.
I know this is an old thread but I have an HX870 and never realized the (unnecessary?) complexity of DSC Classes. I recently found a detailed comparison of Class D vs. Class H that may be helpful to some readers: