• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Hurricane Zeta <--- TS Zeta <--- Invest 95L

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
land on the marina poles.
Look close, his boat pushed one bollard over. He probably just found out about his boat. The good news about that boat it was a freebee and he was planning to fix it up and the engine is good.
Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
OK all, I am going to start a new post on the full, start to finish, of my boat's returned to service.
PSS: Seatow has a barge that can lift my boat. My insurance carrier moved quickly. I will put all in new thread soon.
Amazing that that power boat was lifted over those obstacles. Seems to me that the topography of BSL creates a funnel that potentiates waves coming thru. Had to be a big one to lift that boat.
Please do keep us up to date on SABA; hopefully you can get lifted in a few days and into a yard to get repairs started.
Happy that everything is good on the home front. Hang in there; you will be back in the water in no time.

BTW, just got power restored at home; not sure about marina.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just took closer pictures of how the boat is supported.
Three points...
1) Rudder post which is about ≈4.5" diameter for my H430. Rudder now turned 90° vs 24° max normally.
2) The strongest part of the bow to take wave hits.
3) The shoal Keel which is sitting on top of the huge Concrete drain pipe, that street drainage flushes the canal.

Gravity shifted the boat to best supports!! :pimp:
Jim...

019CE3DE-3729-4B33-BFA1-D308EB9AE7DC.jpeg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
ok ok, but last pictures on this thread.
Rudder holding up my stern. [no butt size wisecracks please]

[shown as attachment , for my dumb mistake]

The Rudder bearing tube pushed up, allowing the rudder to turn.
oopsFiberglassPushedup.jpeg

Hoping still no leak in cabin if that is put back in water.
____
Bow and the two of hurricane lines shown, both of them "un-wound" from the bulkhead post we tied too. [no snap broken]
PostJam2.jpg

Jim...

Attachments