Hunter Legend - Waste Holding Tank

Jul 22, 2020
Hunter Legend 37.5 37.5 New Braunfels
Hello to Peggy Hall and T J Furstenau and other Hunter Owners.

Regarding Aluminum Waste Holding Tanks

Peggy was correct!!!! .... back in August 2020, when she said that if you find corrosion on an aluminum waste tank that you can see, it will not be the first and there will be other areas that you cannot see ! Well, yesterday I had the marina service department help me remove my 25 gallon tank. We had to use the Sawzall to cut off the top vent bib and the side "feet", but it came out of the tight access in the aft cabin on my Legend 37.5 and guess what? The bottom was corroding like a sun of a b____!. It looked like it had a disease.... there was so much corrosion. We managed to get tank out of the aft cabin by turning it sideways to go thru the aft cabin door and up the companionway and the marina people took it away.

I am ordering a new plastic tank from Ronco, and new sanitary lines and 3/4 inch vent line.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your invaluable advice and to pass it on to others who are about to undertake this project, unless of course, I am the very last Hunter Owner in the country to finally remove their aluminum tank!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd make the vent line 1" or even 1.5" ...3/4 is only 1/8" larger than the "standard" 5/8".

I'll be glad to help you spec the best fittings locations if you want to send me a PM.

--Peggie

Jul 22, 2020
What is your email Peggy. we will continue to communicate that way, please. And I can send you some drawings. and my cel number. I pretty much have the fitting locations in my mine.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'd make the vent line 1" or even 1.5" ...3/4 is only 1/8" larger than the "standard" 5/8".

I'll be glad to help you spec the best fittings locations if you want to send me a PM.

--Peggie
Bear in in mind, when you double the inside diameter of the hose, you quadruple the circular area of the hose.
I used 1.25 dia I believe. (pi) times (R squared)=area. The biggest problem I had was making the 90 degree turn .

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I went through the same issue when I got my 37.5 7 years ago. i did a plastic tank and lost some holding capacity due to what was available at the time. then shortly after my fuel tank developed a leak. Long story short I learned that the original manufacturer for the tanks on Hunter sailboats will make you an exact replacement only out of thicker aluminum. It will take a few months for them to put in in their production line but is worth it for the form fit and function and exact replacement (more or less). I also did a modification on the fuel tank to better facilitate the installation of the new tank when I got it. The tank manufacturer is EZELL industries. If memory serves they are in Florida. Smartest thing I ever did on a tank replacement. Been happy for over seven years. Wish I had known about EZELL when I replaces the holding tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A good thing you didn't, 'cuz while metal is a good choice for a fuel tank and an ok choice for a water tank, but NOT for sewage holding 'cuz urine will turn a metal tank into a colander. Boat builders switched to PE holding tanks in the '90s.

--Peggie

Jul 22, 2020
I went through the same issue when I got my 37.5 7 years ago. i did a plastic tank and lost some holding capacity due to what was available at the time. then shortly after my fuel tank developed a leak. Long story short I learned that the original manufacturer for the tanks on Hunter sailboats will make you an exact replacement only out of thicker aluminum. It will take a few months for them to put in in their production line but is worth it for the form fit and function and exact replacement (more or less). I also did a modification on the fuel tank to better facilitate the installation of the new tank when I got it. The tank manufacturer is EZELL industries. If memory serves they are in Florida. Smartest thing I ever did on a tank replacement. Been happy for over seven years. Wish I had known about EZELL when I replaces the holding tank.
Hey Scott

I went with the plastic tank from Ronco. It was wonderful. Just finished putting it in this past weekend. It took my wife and I and a marina service guy 6 hours. Also put in ALL NEW sanitary lines and vent lines. And yes, like you, I lost a little capacity.....from 24 gallons to 17 gallons....but since the tank was smaller, I could fit it in nicely and still have acces to the fittings and hose clamps, wherein before, it was too cramped and no accessibility. It is awesome tank and I can see in for inspection when to pump out without guessing, as in an aluminum tank .