Hunter Legend 35.5 (1990) issue

Jan 26, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Legend Port Royal
Ok so I'm nearing the end of looking for this issue. First time we sailed the boat there ended up being diesel in the Bilge from a faulty line as well as in the lowest part of the bathroom cabinets from a hole in the aft part due to being hulled over. Today we sailed after multiple times and had a similar problem. Nasty water is in the cabinet again and the swim deck locker where the diesel tank is located. I put water tight seals on all the lockers so wherever it is coming from it's internal. To me it seems like it could be coming from the (whale raw water valve) because when the tank gets full it will leak around the top. I am replacing this part asap to be sure. My holding tank has been replaced with a plastic one a few years back. Had anyone had this issue or a similar issue? Literally it's only in the cabinet, after starboard swim deck locker, and at a point it goes into the bilge.. This is truly frustrating me.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!!! Never heard of that so suggest contacting a local boat guy to troubleshoot and develop a repair plan.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
I owned a 1992, 35.5 and can't picture what your problem area is, photos would help. I rebuilt the aft bulkheads on both the lockers and aft cabin and have photos that may help you in finding the issues.

Jan 26, 2021
I owned a 1992, 35.5 and can't picture what your problem area is, photos would help. I rebuilt the aft bulkheads on both the lockers and aft cabin and have photos that may help y
I will add photos Monday, I am going to take get access to everything back there and find this problem if possible.

Jan 26, 2021
Problem was found. After literally going inch by in in the boat I couldn't find the problem. I decided to finally fill the propane for the first time and there it was (the issue).. The previous owner had (pros) install the propane holding case and so forth. Well the holding case has weep holes for the sweating on the tanks to drop the minor amount into the bilge. However they must have thought that would sink the boat, so they installed a 3/4 direct drain line just above the waterline on the swim deck with no check valve.. Any splashing would go directly through the line, into the housing then into my bathroom cabinets.. bottom line is that it wasn't a hunter issue and just crappy workmanship.. I pulled the fitting and filled the hole..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Problem was found. After literally going inch by in in the boat I couldn't find the problem. I decided to finally fill the propane for the first time and there it was (the issue).. The previous owner had (pros) install the propane holding case and so forth. Well the holding case has weep holes for the sweating on the tanks to drop the minor amount into the bilge. However they must have thought that would sink the boat, so they installed a 3/4 direct drain line just above the waterline on the swim deck with no check valve.. Any splashing would go directly through the line, into the housing then into my bathroom cabinets.. bottom line is that it wasn't a hunter issue and just crappy workmanship.. I pulled the fitting and filled the hole..
Propane locker has a drain into the bilge? That isn’t crappy workmanship, it is criminal negligence!

A propane locker should drain directly overboard. propane is heavier than air, so it will sit in an closed locker, or seek the lowest drain point. You do not want that to be in your bilge.

Greg

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Having the propane compartment drain to the bilge is bad. The direct drain hose overboard, that you filled, is the right idea. Their execution of the drain sounds poor, but propane lockers need to drain overboard.

Chris

Jan 26, 2021
Propane locker has a drain into the bilge? That isn’t crappy workmanship, it is criminal negligence!

A propane locker should drain directly overboard. propane is heavier than air, so it will sit in an closed locker, or seek the lowest drain point. You do not want that to be in your bilge.

Greg
It's not a drain for propane fumes it was a drain for the water caused but the tank sweating..

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Pictures please! If the holes allow any sweating from the surface of the tank to "drain to the bilge" then the compartment is not sealed from fumes escaping and also sinking to the bottom of the propane containment box (locker) and into the bilge. The entire propane tank should be sealed with only a "fume drain line" that goes down from the bottom of the propane locker directly overboard at a point below the bottom of the locker with no rises after it leaves the propane locker. Sounds like the PO "pros" must have been pros at jury rigging, not propane locker installation.

Jan 26, 2021
Pictures please! If the holes allow any sweating from the surface of the tank to "drain to the bilge" then the compartment is not sealed from fumes escaping and also sinking to the bottom of the propane containment box (locker) and into the bilge. The entire propane tank should be sealed with only a "fume drain line" that goes down from the bottom of the propane locker directly overboard at a point below the bottom of the locker with no rises after it leaves the propane locker. Sounds like the PO "pros" must have been pros at jury rigging, not propane locker installation.
So they installed a propane locker which was the way the go. It does have a small 1/4 in hole in the locker that I will seal tomorrow.. Then they did install a 3/4 drain like like they were supposed to however here is where they messed up.. #1 hose is to long, #2 the thru hull fitting is at a 35° angle facing upwards which then filled with water from waves and basically caused a (p-trap) like we do for sinks which held water. All I need to do is put the thru hull fitting on the side of the boat and not the swim deck which will then be facing downwards so that no water will get trapped.. like in the picture attached

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It's not a drain for propane fumes it was a drain for the water caused but the tank sweating..
But if it drains water into the bilge, the propane will drain there too. Water and propane are both heavier than sir.

Greg