Hunter 460 for Offshore Use/Extended Cruising

Apr 15, 2015
Hunter 460 So Cal
We bought a 2000 Hunter 460 in January and are working toward an extended trip with probable offshore use in 2017, there's some work to be done with electronics and rigging first and we're getting used to the boat. Are there others on this forum who have taken thier Hunters (460) on extended (several years) cruising or crossed oceans?

How did the boat hold up? Were there issues with excessive pounding in confused seaways? Would you do it again? What changes would you make to boat, rig or electronics if you did it again?

Thanks for your time to reply-

29palmsailor
livefree2sailfast.com

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda

I know of 3 Hunter 420 CC are heading to bahama's as we speak
and do it almost every year and I did sail all ocean in 2008 from
NY to Florida on my 2007 H-36.
Just check and make sure rigging is good and all systems are in good working order and carry some spare parts.
Nick

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I have a 2003, 466 but have not taken it on any extended cruising. I have a friend who owns a 2002 H460 and he took it from Bremerton, Wa to Cabo San Lucas. Years ago an individual, Mike Harker I think was his name, took what I'm told was a stock 460 around the world with no issues.

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
we have lived on and done extensive cruising on our 45cc since I bought it in 2007. Currently located in North coast of Panama. Depending on where you intend to cruise, spare parts for every system is essential, including lots of fuel filters and a Baha filter as fuel is often stored in less then clean containers. Lots of other ideas but best to check with owner modification cat for customizing your boat.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Although a different size boat, you might google "hunter 49 sequitur blog".

The guy put that boat through its paces around Cape Horn and a few storms at sea.

Jun 7, 2007
- - Newport Beach CA
I owned a H460 2000 for 14 years. It was sold last year because I relocated to SW Florida
and she was just too big for sailing around here. We went off shore twice, 2006 and 2008
With the Baha Ha Ha rally. First time we sailed the Sea of Cortez and was based out of
La Paz. Second trip we went to PV and was based out of Paradise Marina. The boat is a
Big boat and built like a tank. In 06 we took first in class and sailed entire way to Cabo.
First leg to Turtle Bay we ran out 50 miles and caught 25 kts out of the NW and no boat
Ever passed us. Doing the bash back, she motored like a freight train. We were stopped only once on the second bash. We got to the north end off Cedros Island late afternoon
and had 30-35 kts on the nose with 10-12 footers at 3-4 second intervals and decided
drop the hook for the night. Next morning the wind was down to 15kts and we took
off. This boat never pounded except at Cedros and the waves were vertical. The only
structural change I made was to replace the composite rudder with an SS post/rudder
made by Foss. I never had a problem with the original rudder but decided to change
it for piece of mind. The H460 was my fourth Hunter (31,37.5,40.5,460) They were all great
boats with no issues. I purchased a 2008 Catalina 320 MKII with a 4.4 draft and 47 ft
mast for the west coast of Fl. We have THIN water and bridges, something Calif sailors
aren't concerned with. The Cat is a well constructed,
sweet sailing boat and is a great boat for the area.
However, I do miss the big girl.
S/V Misjudged II H46O
S/V MisjudgedIII C320 MK II

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Although a different size boat, you might google "hunter 49 sequitur blog".

The guy put that boat through its paces around Cape Horn and a few storms at sea.
I followed Michael almost daily in their blog as they traveled around South America. They never actually sailed around Cape Horn. They cut through the inland waters at the southern tip, then went out in better conditions to Cape Horn to say they'd been there. Not to take away from all the conditions they went through, with many several day off-shore passages in some nasty weather and a very good testament to the Hunter 49.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
In defense of Florida waters most bridges are built to a 65' clearance or are opening spans. The water is thin and I would not want to draw over what I do at 5'6" with an air draft of 63" less is certainly better. One place that I can't consider going is crossing through the Caloosahatchee due to the bridge constraints. It seems everything is a compromise in some way. Alas I do so love the warm emerald green and turquoise water.

Apr 15, 2015
Hunter 460 So Cal
For Patrick 17440 or anyone else, a few more specific questions:

I posted to another sections about a few concerns I have on the 460 now that I'm sailing it and have noticed speciifcs, as someday we want to sail offshore/bluewater like to Mexico and beyond-

1. Patrick 17440, did you ever have problems with the chain locker as it opens to the bow? I seem to be retaining water in mine because it doesn't drain well, had suggestions from others to remove and clean the drains outside the chain locker on th hull. Did your boat have these, did you have this problem?

2. Two of the three heads are electric and seem to run on freshwater. Did you have those and was the fresh water use ever an issue?

3. The boat doesn't have foot pumps in the galley, did you ever have problems with water pressure?

4. I've sailed the boat a number of times now in fairly mild So Cal weather and it seems like it might be tender, heel easily, did you think so?

5. You said it was built like a tank, so I assume you never had challenges with flexing or other stuff I hear about older Hunters?

6. The autopoilot we have seems to turn off easily under sail, did you install a larger autopilot, what brand and what kind?

Lastly, seems like the boat might squat under motor or sail but look fine when stoppped, did you ever notice this?

Apr 15, 2015
Hunter 460 So Cal
Slipin Away:

Thanks for the post from Panama. I was there in 1978/1979 with parents on a 41 Tiawan Ketch. Loved the San Blas Islands. Baja Filters are now hard to come by in So Cal and we're thinking of making them and selling on my blog site, thanks for the post.

Last edited:

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Have not had a problem with water in the chain locker.
Do you really have three heads in the 460? Fresh water keeps the heads smelling nice or at least no smell. Two friends of mine that had the 460 installed water makers for their voyages so water was not a problem.
When the winds hit 15-17 kts I reef the main to the second spreader. Yes, I think a little tender. No flexing or oil canning. My auto pilot has never turned off.
At the 2008 Strictly Sail in Alameda, Ca I spoke extensively with Mike Harker who was there with his 460 and asked him those same questions. He never had any issues with "Wanderlust" on his circumnavigation. Hope this helps.

May 28, 2015
hunter 460 Stuart
I have a 2003, 466 but have not taken it on any extended cruising. I have a friend who owns a 2002 H460 and he took it from Bremerton, Wa to Cabo San Lucas. Years ago an individual, Mike Harker I think was his name, took what I'm told was a stock 460 around the world with no issues.
I met Mike a couple of times in the Caribbean back around 2011 if I recall correctly (It was not long before he went over to St Marten where he was assaulted and hospitalized). He was on another boat (having sold the 460 for something larger) when I last saw him at Road Town in Tortola BVI. We had a couple of beers talking about 460s. He told me a story that he glanced his 460 off a reef in the south pacific. One of those places where it comes up from a thousand feet to a 3 foot deep coral rock in a boat length. As he said, he glanced off it, I think he said his starboard side. Under sail, he was doing something else at the time when it suddenly struck. The boat survived (just with a large scratch) and I recall he appreciated the 460 for many reasons...except for loosing the composite rudder. That story was featured in a major magazine about sailing or cruising. We have the replacement stainless steel posted rudder on ours through 10,000 miles of Caribbean cruising and have had no failures or problems outside usual maintenance of the Edson steering system or Raymarine autopilot motor. Just thought I might add to anyone who might not know, Mike passed away from a stroke in 2011. He was a great guy, a pioneer and a great friend. Rest in peace Mike. I just had to mention this when I came across the reference to him in your post. Google Mike for lots more information on his trip with his 460. Best wishes, Tim at Cruising Spirit

Oct 30, 2012
Hunter 460 Norfolk, VA
I put a contract on a 2000 460 last week and have the survey and sea trials set for Tuesday, 28 July 2015. I was planning to ask around about any specific issues but see all the information is already here. I appreciate all the information even though is was not specifically directed to me.
For Patrick17440: How long ago and what was the cost to replace the runner post?

May 28, 2015
hunter 460 Stuart
I am willing to bet you will greatly appreciate the system design and installation aboard your 460! Also, the non corrosive keel of the 460. Not to mention the additional space and livability.

Acceleration of the First in light air might be superior, but we have fairly loaded our 460 for extended sailing and still enjoy spirited performance. Few, if any, comparably sized sailboats leave us astern. We chuckle lightly when we out sail other boats because of this sailing story. You are going along neck and neck but we are usually pulling ahead. There comes a moment...the crew on the other boat realizes we are leaving them behind, stops looking at us, and look up at their sails and start adjusting sheets. You can only think they are wondering how to make it go faster--as we used to do when we owned a slower boat. We know that pain.

On our 460 we like to unfurl the main to the upper spreader and unroll about 75 to 90 percent of the jib in 12/14 or more knots. At 6 to 10 knots, full sail. It is not that the boat is tender, it is that the 460 is easily driven and inducing heel and weather helm is counter productive on this design. 15 degrees of heel with the rudder to leward about 5 degrees gets our greatest speeds. Auto pilot hardly working. We have been over 9 knots and always get low 6s to high 8s in 12/14 or more. 3 to 4 knots of boat speed in 6 to 8 knots wind. Except down wind...we do running reaches.

Hunter gave us the steel posted rudder in an unusual deal. They sent a letter to all original owners discussing some breakages, but stated rudder was outside hull warranty. I installed it at my cost which was folded in with a bottom job so I cannot really say how much it cost. Had to heat and beat the quadrant off the top of the composite rudder post and Hunter sent us a new one of those as well.

A friend of mine (Tom) bought a 460 last year. He came aboard ours and asked many questions before buying the one he has now put some 2,000 miles on only having experienced only some minor equipment problems not of the boat. He did replace the rudder on purchase though. I just called him for info. He could not recall exactly what it cost, he had a yard (Sailors Wharf Yacht Yard in St Pete, Fl) do the work for him. So, the bottom job and some other things he had done came to thirteen grand as he recalled. Foss Foam is the manufacturer of the rudder for direct pricing. Tom bought it through the yard so certainly there was probably retail mark up. Ironically, Tom mentioned he met Yopi (sp?) Helstrom who managed the work on his boat for Sailors Wharf. Tom stated Mr Helstrom was an avid 460 racer and has been involved with Hunter in 460 design. Tom also stated they used bushings that did not require dry ice to install but now does include a thrust bearing between top of rudder and hull.

I'm curious though, what are some of the reasons you decided to move from a First to a 460?

Oct 30, 2012
Hunter 460 Norfolk, VA
Hurricane Gonzalo

Thanks for the input. I kept my Beneteau First 41s5 kept on a mooring in Simpson Bay, St Martin. It was a great boat that we enjoyed but unfortunately Hurricane Gonzalo in 2014 caused her to break away from her mooring and she washed up on the beach. If you do a search on "beowulf" and "St Martin" and "hurricane gonzalo" you will find pictures of Beowulf beached. I get sick to my stomach every time I see the pictures and recently deleted them from my computer.

I picked the Hunter because my wife is not much into sailing so we worked a deal to get another SV with great livability for her and one that performs well for me. Hunter's are more to her liking and the 460 is much nicer inside than the 41s5 was; we will be spoiled since the the 460 has a generator and 2 air conditioners. We looked at several center cockpit Hunter Passage 42/420s but never found the right deal and after seeing the 460 thought it was perfect for both her and me. Since the 460s has a large forward stateroom, AC and a nice salon, the wife gave it a thumbs up. Also, the price of the 460 was good and it reportedly sails quite well as you attested. In the end, it was the best boat for the money that met our needs. We live in Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay and plan to use it there, the ICW and eventually the Caribbean.

BTW, the one I hope to close on next week does not have a roller furling main which just might mean I can pass you if we are ever in the same waters :) Boat is still listed online if you are interested you can see her listed as a 2000 460 in Topping, VA.

Again, thanks for the info on the rudder post.

May 28, 2015
hunter 460 Stuart
Ahh, that is funny, about sailing a hoisting main against a roller main I mean:) I better try sailing along side you before you really learn the boat, right...give me an advantage!

Really sorry to hear you lost your yacht Beowulf. Boats really become part of our lives and teach us so much. Or, let us enjoy ourselves with ourselves. I understand the loss.

I will search to see your new boat. Just to mention, we were thinking about moving on but Angela, my wife, prefers to keep our 460 for one more big cruise. All the best, Tim at Cruising Spirit.

Mar 23, 2013
Hunter 44DS Lake Macquarie
I have a 2003 hunter 44DS which was sailed from Canada right down to the Caribbean through the Panama Canal right across the Pacific to Australia over two years. I purchased the yacht two years ago and it is in excellent condition fully set up to live on board. It handled the journey no problems

May 28, 2015
hunter 460 Stuart
Hi Akapeterc,

Interesting, I have heard a few times of purchasing yachts at the other end of a Pacific cruise...in Australia or there about. Is that where you found her? All the best, Tim at Cruising Spirit.