Hunter 45CC davits

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Yup.....and I forgot about the cam cleats. I also got the flag pole mount which I added to the crossbar. You will love the davits.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
KATO designs their davits to be mounted lower to keep center of gravity low, that helps the boat, keeps the dink wag to a minimum; and quite frankly looks better. A RIB and outboard will put the weight at 200lbs and you don't want that weight 3 feet above deck level off the stern. Because they are low these davits are not a particularly good place to mount solar. But you can now stitch flexible panels to your bimini, so the old habit of making davits serve a double purpose is kind of over. And then there is this - last summer some newbie in the marina lost control of his boat in a crosswind and ended up smashing into my lovely KATO davits. If there had been solar panels mounted it would have been a mess. As it was, a re-alignment made them right. Stout as a pig's nose. If you do mount them high you really should back-brace your stern rails.
P1000844.JPG

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
Understood, but mine is a Center Cockpit with a high transom so therefore the davits needs to be higher, no way around that because I have to be able to get down to the swim platform. The rails will be braced on both sides. I wanted 3 100 watt panels, and didn't want the flexible stitched in kind on the Bimini so there weren't many options

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Understood, didn't notice that CC. Love the huge cabin space of a CC. My brother sailed one that had a bathtub.

Nov 19, 2009
Yep I've seen the bath tub. Those are in the 456 CC. Mine has a small tub separate from the rest of the head that can be sat in but that's about it. I just measured today the 3 solar panels going on the Davits. (Pic)

Attachments

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
I purchased Oceanmarine systems for my H380. They at one point supplied Davits to Hunter.

I got the mid height size, with a carrying capacity of 450 lbs, for my 10 ft rib with 9.9 Yamaha.
I have the cross bars and mounts for 2 solar panels... 360watts.
I went with Davits based on the advice of many cruisers, saying inflating and installing is a pain or stowing on fore deck. I have heavy tackle and keep the motor on the RIB.

The cost was expensive at almost 3K (plus $700 to install), but about the same for all of them, by the time you get a heavy set up, solar mounts, shipping. The boat weighs 130 Lbs (West Marine, double fiberglass floor). The motor 90 lbs , then there is the gas and etc. .. I do have a motor mount on the stern railing. But lifting 90Lbs motor and 130Lb boat naked , on slightly rolling water in your late 60s.. is not a task to take lightly.

In my experience, If its not easy, it does not get done....

I'm not going to worry about my 2 feet of overhang when it comes to slip fees. Of course my Home port slip I own at the back of my house in Cape Coral.

Regards,

John Hill

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks John. I'm going to be doing extensive cruising and likely on a mooring ball or hook in the Bahamas about 6 months out of the year, maybe 3 month on the hard and 3 in a slip both in Florida or Essex MD, so I also didn't care about the extra length. I'm probably going for a 9.9 hp on a 10'2" inflatable (eventualy probably a ribbed) and would love to keep the motor mounted on the dink. It's going to have to take some thought as to where to put the motor lift (if I go that route) so it clears the solar panels. I can lift and carry an 80lb motor now but it won't be long until I can't. My boat is a Center Cockpit with a very tall transom, so manhandling the motor down to the dink will not be easy at all, if not undoable

Do you have a picture of your bridle setup?

Ron

Jul 10, 2012
Ron, a quick suggestion. We have an 11 foot rigid hanging from our davit on our 45cc. In addition we have a 20hp that gets lowered via its own davit pole. I added a hand operated trailer winch to that davit to ease the stress of up/down. My wife loves it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You guys may be able to get an idea from a crabber. They use a variety of davits/cranes and winches to lift pots onto the boat.

Nov 19, 2009
Ron, a quick suggestion. We have an 11 foot rigid hanging from our davit on our 45cc. In addition we have a 20hp that gets lowered via its own davit pole. I added a hand operated trailer winch to that davit to ease the stress of up/down. My wife loves it.
Where is the crane mounted? Pictures? I was originally going to put it on the starboard rail just forward of the stern seat but my rigger suggested not to put it there, in case a big piling decided to jump out at me in the wind going into or out of slip. He thinks we can place it on the stern but need to get the davits installed (18" higher than the standard model) and the solar panels mounted. All that should be done in the next two weeks.

Nov 19, 2009
I was even told to think about using the topping lift somehow to lower and raise the motor. I'd have to see a little more about that.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would suggest what ever system you decide that they be heavy duty
if plan on adding solar dinghy and motor,maybe look at a tower and stand alone davits and have seen a few with the tower system and usually a very good way to go is with tower on a big cc like yours.