Hunter 45 CC cabin window leaks

Did It

Sep 2, 2016
Hunter 45 CC Victoria
I have been a 2007 45 CC owner for 8 + years and since I purchased the boat to today have had a leak problem on the starboard main cabin window. It has been repaired by the local Hunter dealer in Vancouver BC numerous times with no long term effect.
Has anyone else had a similar problem and what have you done to repair?
I need resolution and the local dealer has turned me away.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I need resolution and the local dealer has turned me away.
Yes , it's Specialty Yachts so that explains why :angry: !

Please start by posting a few closeup pictures of the offending starboard main cabin window to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

I've had a leak in the port side of my portlight since shortly after I bought the boat from (I refuse to say the name again). I can usually get the leak to stop for a few years but it's always back again. It's a bit of a task but if done properly, it lasts a few years. I've GOT to get around to removing the entire acrylic sheet and resealing but time is always too short.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

In my case, thermal expansion over the long length of the portlight combined with a lack of separation between the FG and acrylic seal is the culprit.

Got to get into it this fall .............. maybe.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
remove the window and the sealant, hopefully it is not the cheaper silicone slippery stuff. Remove all traces of the previous sealant, mechanically and chemically.

Get several tubes of DOW 795 and redo the whole window and its frame. I used dive weights to keep it in place. Let it cure...should last decades. Mechanically and chemically.

Anything else you use, will last a year or two, if you are lucky. The key is clean the old goo completely.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Yes , it's Specialty Yachts so that explains why :angry: !

Please start by posting a few closeup pictures of the offending starboard main cabin window to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

I've had a leak in the port side of my portlight since shortly after I bought the boat from (I refuse to say the name again). I can usually get the leak to stop for a few years but it's always back again. It's a bit of a task but if done properly, it lasts a few years. I've GOT to get around to removing the entire acrylic sheet and resealing but time is always too short.

View attachment 127655
View attachment 127656
View attachment 127657
In my case, thermal expansion over the long length of the portlight combined with a lack of separation between the FG and acrylic seal is the culprit.

Got to get into it this fall .............. maybe.
Ok, the only way to do this is removing the window, and resealing
Removing these large windows seems to be a formidable task, and Hunter had a technique with wooden wedges, which took hours, and was prone to damaging the window.
I came up with a technique for removing these windows in about an hour with zero damage.
Look up my posts, and you'll find it
Then scrape out all the old sealant, and put in fresh 795.
It will be as good as new

Did It

Sep 2, 2016
Hunter 45 CC Victoria
Time for an update.
Since I've posted this, the window has been taken out and in the process was broken. Attached are pictures off the calking that was applied and would like to know if this is normal. The "professionals" that installed the window as identified by the hunter dealer from Vancouver BC called this normal applied. And it still leaked. He will not take ownership of poor workmanship.
Your thoughts.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
I own a 2007 45CC. I guess I better take a close look at it and keep this issue in mind.

Did It

Sep 2, 2016
Hunter 45 CC Victoria
It's not the issue its the poor repair using unqualified as it seems "professionals" although I know 3 other 45 CC's with the same issue and it's on the starboard side

Jun 27, 2022
hunter 45cc Westbrook, CT
It's been a while since there was any activity with this post, but going to give it a try . I recently purchased a new to me 2007 45cc. Both starboard and port windshields are leaking. I've seen a number of posts on repairing windshields, but i need to first remove the fiberglass bezel that wraps around on the deck and that the stainless handrails are mounted through. It would appear that I need to drop the interior headliner to get to the hardware holding the handrails on first. Can someone confirm?

Also interested in anyone in located on New England and has had luck with anyone doing this repair.

Thanks - Rob

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Did It

Are there any sealed or called holes in the windshield?

Use Dow 795 sealant only and allow a 7 day cure

Regarding the broken windshield, see if Al with SBO has the mold for that windshield

yes the wood shims do work but if the seal is completely open then use fishing line to cut the rest of the caulk with another person inside the boatt

advise on screw holes

Oct 18, 2021
Hunter 45 CC Boston
Thanks for the quick response Dave....

I have a new replacement window that will be going in.
Not sure about the holes. It is a 2008 Hunter 45 CC.

Was wondering if headliner has to be lowered to get to hardware on top.

I've seen a number of posts on repairing windshields, but i need to first remove the fiberglass bezel that wraps around on the deck and that the stainless handrails are mounted through. It would appear that I need to drop the interior headliner to get to the hardware holding the handrails on first. Can someone confirm?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jim01749

can you post some photographs of the interior and exterior as it has been years since I was on a cc 45. I am a retired dealer.
Also can you confirm if there are any screw holes.

The screws used are smaller than the holes found in wind shields temporarily to allow the Dow795 to cure. Cure time is seven days before removing the screws and filling the holes with 795. Too often cure time is not adhered to for a week.

@artboas description of using suction cups can be found if you go to the upper left band menu button and then scroll down to “search forums” and fill it which his comments will come up. I have heard suction cups being used back in the late 1989’s-early 1990’s.

Oct 18, 2021
Hunter 45 CC Boston
There are a bunch of screws that stay in place permanently.
Just got the suction cups last week from Amazon as a matter of fact. Read that article on here about them......

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jim01749

those screws are supposed to be in place temporarily until the sealant dried for a week as I was told by Hunter when repairing or resealing the windshield. Do you have anything that states differently that you can share? If left in place and with a weather change, the windshield holes cold get smaller and crack as a result of the screws.

I did read those articles as I explained how to find them

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Hunter 45 CC Boston
Good Morning!
I have not read anything that states that they should come out after. But that is a good question......

And it makes sense.

I will do some investigating.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I retired 14 years ago. I always used Dow 795. Never used foam tape. I will defer to others who have. Sorry I cannot be of help to you.
Dave