Hunter 430 Mast

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Try Selden, who supplies masts for Hunter sailboats. Also Rig Rite, Dwyer,, Sparcraft. Check with the mast company to confirm whethey can also provide the mast with spreaders and standing rigging OR contact a local rigger for the standing rigging.

Jan 21, 2021
Hunter Hunter 430 Cape Town
thanks so much for the reply. I have emailed Selden Masts asking for a cost estimate. I will certainly try the others. First prize would be to find a good condition second hand one.

Feb 21, 2013
I you want a used mast do an internet search on "used sailboat mast" and you may find one for your boat, albeit unlikely to include standing rigging. You will likely need to have a rigger or boatyard modify the bottom to fit your boat. Your boat's mast height or I dimension is 50 feet.

49 ft mast: 49 foot 3 inches Heavy Duty Aluminum Sailboat Mast Extrusion (6.5" x 5.0" size) | eBay

Jan 21, 2021
Thanks SFBay. I will definitely check those links out. I thought that the mast height for this boat was 52ft or even 56 ft. I'm waiting for confirmation as I have been confused by looking at the owners manual which shows 680 inches!

Feb 21, 2013
I would follow your manual of 680 inches or 56.67 ft. The 50 ft was from sailboatdata web page, which is likely in error. Soory about the mis information....I should have checked the manual. Good luck with the hunt and let the forum know what you decided to do!!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I wonder if BoatUS or other insurance company might be able to help you find a "totaled" boat that is being parted out for salvage?

like @sail sfbay said, eBay and Craigs List would be my first go to if looking for a wreaked boat but I'd think an insurance company might maintain a database. The trick would be to get an agreable person on the phone who will take 30 min. out of their day to help you.

Jan 21, 2021
I wonder if BoatUS or other insurance company might be able to help you find a "totaled" boat that is being parted out for salvage?

like @sail sfbay said, eBay and Craigs List would be my first go to if looking for a wreaked boat but I'd think an insurance company might maintain a database. The trick would be to get an agreable person on the phone who will take 30 min. out of their day to help you.
I have thought about that but lack the knowledge of whom to approach. I did think that if I could find a boat with a damaged hull that I could buy it just for the rigging. Make one good boat out of two.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So have you already bought this boat? Your avitar has you as "Future Boat Owner". If not I'd recommend you find one that is in good shape. The boat market is funny. A nice boat with lots of nice stuff in working order is always less expensive than buying a "project" boat and they paying the rediculous prices for parts that say "marine" on the package. A $50 turn buckle becomes a $250 turn buckle once it is declared "marine grade".

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Ditto rgranger...........if you have not purchased the boat prepare a realistic list labor and materials (with quotes) to make the boat suitable for sailing as you might be surprised what that will cost vs. a sailboat already equiped with a mast, spreaders, standing rigging, running rigging, etc. including sails if you need them.

Last edited:

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would follow your manual of 680 inches or 56.67 ft.
The mast height for our H430 is above the base deck plate distance, not above the water line.
56.67 feet is correct!
Use your manual for that mast height number.
________
Mine is 67.5 feet to top of FM antenna, thus above the normal loaded boat water line.

Remember it is not the floating boat's clearance that matters for a new mast.;)
Jim...

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The OP started his search from an old post on H430 here...
Dismasted

He has a damaged H430 1997 that he is looking at. [ not mine;)]
Jim...

Jan 21, 2021
So have you already bought this boat? Your avitar has you as "Future Boat Owner". If not I'd recommend you find one that is in good shape. The boat market is funny. A nice boat with lots of nice stuff in working order is always less expensive than buying a "project" boat and they paying the rediculous prices for parts that say "marine" on the package. A $50 turn buckle becomes a $250 turn buckle once it is declared "marine grade".
Hi rgranger, I have not yet bought the boat. I am busy with the exercise of calculating the hard costs if I were to buy it. Once I know roughly what I'm in for, I will make an offer. But following the advice of the members of this forum, I'm very weary and it will most likely be a very low offer. I'm really glad that I have joined this forum as you all have been amazingly informative. Thanks

Jan 21, 2021
Ditto rgranger...........if you have not purchased the boat prepare a realistic list labor and materials (with quotes) to make the boat suitable for sailing as you might be surprised what that will cost vs. a sailboat already equiped with a mast, spreaders, standing rigging, running rigging, etc. including sails if you need them.
Hi sail sfbay, thanks for your seconding of rgranger's view. It seems that it is going to be expensive to restore this boat but one that I'm up for if I can get the boat cheap enough. I'm really enjoying the process of researching this and hopefully if it all falls into place I'll have a fun project on my hands.

Jan 21, 2021
The mast height for our H430 is above the base deck plate distance, not above the water line.
56.67 feet is correct!
Use your manual for that mast height number.
________
Mine is 67.5 feet to top of FM antenna, thus above the normal loaded boat water line.

Remember it is not the floating boat's clearance that matters for a new mast.;)
Jim...
Thanks Jim, I did in fact pull this number from the manual that you sent me. Just to be clear to everyone, we are not talking about Jim's boat SABA, this is another Hunter 430 called "Highlands". Jim has been amazingly supportive and informative in my quest for information on this project.
I searched the forums and came up with an old thread "Dismasted" and renewed the link/thread as I wanted to hear if they had managed to put the boat back together. Which they did.