Hunter 41 Solar & Mounting Recommendations

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Next stage is to build the arch which I plan to use 1" SS tubing and off the shelf fittings (that will be strengthened with M6 nuts and nyloc bolts), Will use the pushpit and the Legend arch to provide strength.
Love to see your design as you can see I am really interested in seeing how people have there setups. Been surfing the web for images of hunters 41 s with solar but the more input the better. I will post my current design. My big challenge is the two 315W panels are 6 ft long so need something to long enough
Thanks all and happy Boxing Day

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Leemarkadsms- Looks awesome very close to what I was drawing up. Going to use your through bolting of joints. You able to still run the canvas all the way to the back.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I just purchased Q cell 310watt panels and a Epever 60 amp mppt controller .

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Great idea about going to a scrap metal yard we have one right by the boat yard could be an opportunity to find the stainless pipe needed. Other ideas on how to avoid purchasing new welcome.
Btw This is who i used (not marketing just a data point) https://www.altestore.com/store/solar-panels/hanwha-q-cells-solar-panels-p41041/ thanks again all for all the great insight and various approaches to solving this requirement. Keep them coming. Happy New Year

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
Are those Kato davits? Do you also have panels mounted on the davits? Also wondered why the panels were mounted abeam rather than fore and aft? I am about to have four panels installed on my 44DS, with two on the Bimini and two on the davits and both sets running fore and aft. Thanks for the photo.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I just ordered $339 worth of aluminum angle and plate to use in my new mounting for my $664 worth, 610W, of new solar panels. If people really want to use scrap to mount their panels, well ....................

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
So I just bought two 315 Qcell solar panels 24 volt and an Epevert MPPT 60 amp controller. The plan is to set the panels up in parallel which will require a combiner box. My three questions are
1. Any recommendations on a combiner box
2. Any recommendations on where to best locate the MPPT controller on a 41AC ( I am guessing close as possible to the batteries. Current location of batteries are under navigation seat and under the floor next to the navigation station. )
3. How to best run the wires down the arch and to the batteries.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
there's "combiner" cables with a twin plug on one one and a single the other

install the controller where you can access it if it's something you want to check/change once on a while

I ran my cable outside the arch to the stern and through a cable fitting

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Leemarkadams
Where did you purchase the 2 inch clamps for the arch attachment. I find it hard to believe that hunter is the only site that sells 2” clamps
Many thanks in advance

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
I now have four 160 watt Solarland panels, mounted above the Bimini and Kato davit. Also a Victron controller and battery monitor with Bluetooth. These are the photos:

Attachments

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
Be interested how the panels are working. Can you run your fridge and freezer overnight off of the batteries? What type of battery bank? How long does it take to recharge the batteries? Nice installation!

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Hi Jack
So been testing them out and have to say they work great. Turned shore power off and ran the entertainment system and fridge and freezer and lights and inverter to charge phones and tablet. Had the bank down 125 Ah. Fully recovered the next day mid day estimated. Granted it was a sunny day. Next test is on a rainy day. Battery bank is 3 Lifeline 4D batteries so I get about 250 Ah. Panels are 310 watts each 20 volt. I have them running in parallel to a combiner box.
One thing I need to sort out is how to secure the spare wire under the panels. Thinking some caulking

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Jack
Hi Jack
So been testing them out and have to say they work great. Turned shore power off and ran the entertainment system and fridge and freezer and lights and inverter to charge phones and tablet. Had the bank down 125 Ah. Fully recovered the next day mid day estimated. Granted it was a sunny day. Next test is on a rainy day. Battery bank is 3 Lifeline 4D batteries so I get about 250 Ah. Panels are 310 watts each 20 volt. I have them running in parallel to a combiner box.
One thing I need to sort out is how to secure the spare wire under the panels. Thinking some caulking
Tucker, don't caulk them. If you ever have to remove the panels it will be a mess. I rolled mine up and tie wrapped them. Then tie wrapped to the structure. I think you can see that in the earlier pictures I sent you. BTW mine work great! The short winter days were a problem with fully recharging the batteries but we were at anchor for 3 days and never had to start the engine or generator to recharge. Very very happy with our panels!