Hunter 40 Legend 1985 macerator position?

Oct 20, 2018
Hunter Legend 40 Jacksonville, Fl
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I see you've just joined sbo.com today...welcome aboard!

If the macerator has worked previously since you've owned the boat, but now the motor isn't even running, it could just be a problem in the wiring to it, so I'd check that first. But I wouldn't count on that...macerator pumps have short lifespans. If it's never run since you bought the boat, you may not have one even if there's a breaker for it on your 12v panel.
If there is one, other H40 owners should be able to tell you where it's located IF it was factory or dealer installed. If it was owner installed, it could be almost any where in the tank overboard discharge plumbing.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Oct 20, 2018
Thanks Peggie.
I will have to spend more time following tubes and wires. Just hope its not inside the tank. Also, I pumped the tank out, but water is still slowly leaking from somewhere and collects on top of waist tanks. I even thought there is return water coming back and filled the tank again so I tried to pump it out again. But tank was empty. I suspect head may have a small leak, but I did not use it after first pump-out and do not understand where that leak may be coming from?

Stan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sounds like you may have more than one problem. If you need some one-on-one help to sort 'em all out, you're welcome to send me a PM.

--Peggie

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I had an 1985 forty and had the same holding tank set up. There is not a tank Hunter simply glassed a lid over a void between two stringers to act as the tank. As noted above you have to take out the cabin sole to repair it. The problem is every time the boat flexes it gives the stringers a slight twist slowly breaking the lid loose again. Very frustrating after you spend hours repairing it. The only true fix is to find a location for a real holding tank and install a whole new set up. Good Luck

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter 40 Mount Sinai
Like tkwhalen I had a 1985 Hunter40. Mine had the same under floor aft head holding tank with a manual pump located under the aft head sink. Mine did not have a macerator. Another 40 owner had added a plastic holding tank in the port side hanging locker in the aft stateroom. You may be able to find it in the forum archives. Good luck with your boat and project.
John

Oct 20, 2018
After boat is staying anchored few days I see no water on top of holding tank. Is it possible that engine water cooling system may have a leak? Also, just placed overflow air valve in its place in external water engine cooling system. It was broken and I had temporary solid piece of pipe instead. I will try to run engine again and check if leak reapers.
By the way, below head sink I have Y valve I am not sure how operates despite diagram. Is it : "branch away from handle is open"? Especially since I opened both branches and water appears on them simultaneously.

Attachments

Last edited: