Hunter 386 Steering Lock

Sep 11, 2019
173
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Usually, I use my autopilot, but on the calmer days, I'd rather use the Steering lock so I don't have to hear the autopilot. Can someone tell me if it's just a pin that threads onto the Steering column, or is ours missing something...as it doesn't seem to lock very well.

Thanks,
 
Mar 6, 2008
1,515
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I believe it is like a clamp that tightens around the steering wheel shaft.
 
  • Like
Likes: shemandr
Sep 11, 2019
173
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Yes, I'll take a picture this weekend when I'm back at the boat. I should have done that first.
 
Dec 25, 2000
6,059
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Gary, different model boat, but our Edson brand steering has a wheel brake knob on the pedestal that keeps the wheel from turning the more you tighten the knob. It does not lock the wheel perse, but creates a friction brake on the steering post inside the pedestal.
 
May 1, 2011
5,538
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
as it doesn't seem to lock very well.
Sometimes, folks will over torque the wheel brake knob and bend the inner workings of the brake. This results in a completely ineffective wheel brake. Don't ask me how I know. :facepalm:
 
Sep 11, 2019
173
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Where would I even look for such parts? I wonder if Sailboat Owners has rebuild kits.
 
Dec 25, 2000
6,059
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Gary. Do you have an Edson brand steering system? Or something else?
 
Sep 11, 2019
173
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
I'm not sure. The boat is a 2002 Hunter 386 with the bigger old style console. I'll be back in a week and I will try to find out.
 
May 15, 2026
23
Hunter 380 Oriental NC
I have the CD-i Edson Steering and my brake is not working. From the Edson pdf it appears to be a collar that needs to be replaced, and you have to pretty much disassemble the steering column to replace it.
Has anyone done this?
Also .......how to lubricate the lower needle bearings????
TimEdson cd-i steering console.JPG
Edson cd-i steering console.JPG